1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Height of screen when mounting it!

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Buying & Building' started by slowpoke, Aug 2, 2005.

1. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Is it unhealthy (for neck and back) to have your home cinema screen too high. ie above the fireplace where you then have to look up. Anyone else see this as a problem
    Cheers
    Rob

2. Caimbeul

Caimbeul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Im no expert but i would say it depends on the distance that you sit from the screen. you ideally want a screen at eye level when you are sitting on the sofa.

Looking up all the time (even slightly) could have implications IMHO. Mounting screens above fireplaces is a fad if you ask me. yes it can look good and save space but at the expense of the best viewing experience.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not to mention heat from fire in Autumn/Winter possibly causing problems - inc. smoke/dust being attracted to it like iron filings to a magnet.

4. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I am going to mount mine so eye level when sitting on the sofa is roughly in the bottom half of the screen.

This may seem low to some people at first because they compare it to hanging a picture or something rather than positioning a TV. If you think about it, the height of TVs that come with full table stand things or whatever is probably about right. That's probably around 25-30" to the bottom of the screen. I'll hang mine a bit higher than that. Probably 36" to the bottom of the screen. I intend to sit fairly close to it. About 5 or 6 feet away probably. I used to sit cross-legged on the floor 2 feet from the screen with my old CRT. Yes I am half blind now FYI. ;)

If you're interested, my setup will make use of an old fireplace "hole" in my wall. There is no fireplace there at all, it was blocked in years ago, and is now a very plain, stark, hole in the wall. Roughly 14" wide and deep, and stretching from the floor to a height of about 3". I will mount the TV on the chimney breast, just above this hole, and make some clever thing to hide the cables away. All my devices (that fit - such as consoles etc.) will go in this hole. Should look pretty cool when I'm done. I'll post pictures when it's all finished. :)

5. Rolighed

Rolighed
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Our PC monitor on our officedesk is supposed to be "below" eyelevel = our eyes should be level with the top of the screen. All studies validate this, so how come we don't want to do the same with our TV's?

6. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I hung my 32PF9986 on my bedroom wall at the weekend and the top of the screen is at about 135cm from the floor.

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,017
    Mine is over the fireplace. Slightly above eye level but its fine these days. Watch from about 10-12 ft away.

I don't understand comments about how 'normal' TVs on stands are lower so thats probably the best place to locate them. Surely they were just lower because they were on a bit of a stand? No major scientific reasoning behind it, other than having a couple of shelves for a Video.

The only research I've seen was when I was looking into positioning my projector screen, and that suggested having your eye-level about in line with the bottom half of the screen. Mine is probably about the bottom of the screen, but its fine.

8. Ozzpot

Ozzpot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think the best thing you can do is to not let this issue ruin your life. I swear if this thread goes into a second page I may not ever come back to this "community". You'll be asking whether to use cross or flat-head screws next. I can't believe there are people putting in serious research into this over a matter of a few inches. Put it where you want and have done with it.

Yes, I didn't sleep last night, and am VERY crabby today. Sorry. :mad:

;)

9. slowpoke

slowpoke

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    hey ozz, calm down mate...by the way, I work in Egham
    This topic is important becsue i want to put a plasma above the fireplace and the missus thinks this is too high....from the research I have done that is too high as its very bad for your neck and uncomfortable for long periods...she has alot of neck problems...so unfortunately will have to put it on a stand alot lower

10. clash33

clash33
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds like my girl friend :D

11. justdoit

justdoit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    Be careful installing a plasma over the fireplace, it may invalidate your warrenty! I only know this because my dad worked for mastercare and the installation guys were instucted to refuse all installs over fires owing to the rising heat.

12. WoodyC

WoodyC
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've recently installed my LCD over the fireplace, about 1.2m to the bottom of screen and have no complaints. To be honest, unless you're planning on mounting it high up on the wall I don't think you'll really notice any difference.

If I need physio in the next couple of weeks though I'll be sure to come back and mention it. :D

13. Rob1698

Rob1698

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    A 9986 in the bedroom?

You move it there to make room for a 9830 in the livingroom?

My 9986 is on a table with the bottom of the picture at 75cm. Table is 55cm.
    I remember that this is even a bit higher than recommended in the manual.

14. Phill_1981

Phill_1981

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    lol - I still live with the parents, so my bedroom is the only room that is 'mine' and I like to buy myself nice things like the 9986, home cinema equipment and a nice '03 Lotus Elise sat on my drive :D I will, one day, put my hard earned cash into a nice flat of my own instead of the new gadgets and flash cars :rotfl: The i will have a living room wall to put the TV on. ;)