1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

height for rear av speakers

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by samjet, Jan 7, 2005.

1. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    sorry if been covered before - but having got my new yamaha dsp 750 today i had a chat with the salesman who said the rears should be at ear level - yamaha and others say 1.5 to 1.8 m above floor level

who's right/wrong

this is doing my head in :lease:

2. ab1385

ab1385

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I think it varies... from my limited understanding:

In a movie setup, the effects are supposed to be non-directional. If you have the speakers at ear level it is a lot easier to localise where the sound is coming from, and so the sound field is limited in size by the ability to localise them. This, I would guess is why dipoles (I think, rather than bipoles!) are out of phase, so that with them at the side you can't really tell where the sound is coming from as it is mostly reflections etc that you hear.

I do think though, that for multi-channel music having the speakers with the tweeters at ear hight would be a bonus, and would give a lot more of an even surround sound behind and in front of you. I guess that either solution is a compromise to some extent or other, so its a case of which is most important to you.

Anyway, that is just from my somewhat limited understanding, so wait for someone with some real knowledge to come over and clarify what I've probably made a mess of!

3. Andywilliams

Andywilliams

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Hi sam
    My rears are just under the coving pointing downwards and to my ears they sound great very hard to locate but they are tripoles.I used to have mission bipoles and they to sounded great in this position also.I have heard rears placed at ear height and the sound to be honest isnt very ambient you can tell where every rear sound is coming from very directional.
    Cheers Gonzo.

4. bob1

bob1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    The sales man is wrong, i can't rember reading anywhere where it recomends putting rear speakers at ear level,what was the shop?

5. Strobe

Strobe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +608
    I concur with Gonzo, my rears are just under the picture rail (approx. top of the door height). My seating position is right underneath the speakers against the middle of the wall. Sounds great.

6. dazca1

dazca1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have the same problem at the moment (what hight) in the instruction booklet for m&k k15s it says have the rears 2-3 feet above ear level.
    Dont know if this is different for other makes?

7. JoeyJoeJoe

JoeyJoeJoe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If it helps any, I have my rears 1.8m above floor level and they sound great. Used to have them on 1.0m stands but found the sound too localised.

8. Craig Sowerby

Craig Sowerby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Hi

I always where possible install surround speakers at 1.8m, this is the optimum height for movie applications.

Enjoy