Height for a plasma

john R1

Ex Member
Reaction score
Am at present using a 37" panny on a optimum av stand. want to buy a 42" only suitable wall i have for mounting is above my fireplace which means the bottom of the plasma would be approx 49" from the floor is this to high in your opinion my room is approx 17ft into bay by 15ft would be sitting approx 12ft from screen slightly to the side

It's a bit personal. That would be way too high for me, but if I were you I'd make a cardboard cutout, get the kids to paint LOTR on it, and blu-tack it to the wall and watch it for a while.

I have just installed my Hitachi above a fireplace and like MAW suggested its a good idea to put tape a newspaper template to the wall and see how you get on. I have measured the distance on mine to the bottom of the screen and its 46" which is perfect in our room for us. I am not sure if it could go as high as 49" but its personal preference at the end of the day.

have put our 433MXE up just over a week ago and bottom of plasma is 50" from floor - is high compared to CRT that was sittting on an aV unit, but it needed to go that hi to accomodate the chance of a Fireplace being installed at some point.

Gary

Neals thanks for the reply, but how does it look in your honest opinion not to high,

Like others say, it is a personal opinion. The so called experts say that the centre of the screen should be at eye level from the seated viewing position. I went for an AV stand, rather than above the fireplace, as I have a 1 yr old daughter. IMO if it appears high for an adult, think how it looks to a small child seated on the floor. It can't be good for their neck watching something so high. So if you have, or plan to have kids, think carefully about the positioning. But then again, if it's above the fireplace...Sticky little fingers cannot get at it !! Down to choice really. Do you want a sticky plasma screen, or a child with a crick in their neck ?

John R1 - I would say it looks fine, maybe a touch to high, but with fireplace a compromise in position had to be reached.

seating positions are about 11ft and 9ft. with 9ft being slightly worse due to sofa being at 90degrees to panel. 11ft viewing position is ideal as distance and angle of view from it means no neck ache etc.

i'd say that ideal height would be be about 6-8inches lower, but fireplace wouldn't fit then.

Gary

only 1 boy hes nearly 13 so viewing height should not be a problem, more of a problem keeping him away from fidling with things more than anything

If your TV is at your eye height you have to either seat straight or incline your head which put's strain on your neck. If you are seating on the sofa, resting your head, TV above the fireplace is just where it should be. Besides from about 10ft it really not that different

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom