1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Height channel

Discussion in 'TAG McLaren Audio Owners' Forum' started by m0v1em4n, Dec 4, 2003.

1. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Hi all,

at the moment i have the Tag AV32r and I am looking at the upgrade to the AV32r DP, and would be interested in any views on the Height channel, and the upgrade in general,
    Also how long does the upgrade take

Thanks

steve

2. Londonrich

Londonrich

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Steve

My unit is being upgraded at present to DP - it takes approx 3 weeks in factory - so allow shipping either side total is approx one month.

Views on the upgrade - I will let you know when I get it back !

3. Bogi

Bogi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Steve

Just be aware that if you're running a 7.1 speaker set up (THX2 Music) then it's a bit tricky to implement the Height Channel. As of yet there's really no smooth hassle free solution, although apparently the software techs at Tag are pondering some solutions.

Also be aware that there's no software with encoded height channels. The height channel is derived from the surround back signal in THX SurrEX and DTS 6.1 signal.

At the moment not a lot of people have actually gotten round to set the height channel up permanently.

And I for one don't want to miss out on the THX2 Music mode in the 7.1 speaker set up.

cheers

:cool:

4. m0v1em4n

m0v1em4n

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Thank guys,

any more comment from those that have had the DP upgrade done, good or bad, as any one manage to setup the TMREQ, is it as hard as it looks,

steve

5. gary.barker

gary.barker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recommend going to the TAG website (www.tagmclaren.com) and doing a search on the forum for TMREQ, you will get plenty of information on it there. It can be complex or simple depending on how you choose to do it. Mostly it is time consuming. I do it by ear, but I recommend (if you have a computer with a serial output and an SPL meter with an audio out) TMREQ wizard. It makes it a simple two step process for each channel (doing the room check, and then importing the settings into the wizard). There are step by step instructions for using the wizard on the website. Mind you do have to buy the RTA software and pay licensing on the wizard.

6. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I've got some input - upgrade worked perfectly and took about a month (if you can pick up the box from the factory you may get a little play around in their cinema!).

The DP upgrade itself yields a noticeable difference in sound quality - yet more information retrieval to my ears and a less 'processed' sound (not that the original sounded processed). I was surprised frankly as I didn't expect that much.

However, the real eye opener is the TMREQ process. As I've said on another thread tonight, this was the equivalent of making a several thousand pound speaker upgrade as far as I'm concerned. I didn't really have any issues with my sound performance before the upgrade, but this proved to me what a room can do to the sound (mostly bad things!). I didn't have the time to wrestle with the EFT business and didn't have the right equipment, so I paid someone from Tag to do this for me and I could definitely recommend that approach - I reckon you could waste an awful lot of time trying to fix things that are pointless and it's about listening to the results that turns me on, not necessarily endless fiddling.

With the DP and PLII upgrade and the Tag visit, I reckon it's the best 2 grand I've spent since I originally bought my AV32R nearly 4 years ago