1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HEELLPP, denon 2800 mk 2, and ph40

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by edd, May 27, 2003.

1. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought a denon 2800 from sevenoaks, pal prog and multi region modified.

connected it to my panasonic ph40 through the component.

the denon is set to progressive, and pal ntsc set to auto.

as soon as i play a pal disc the screen loses sync and i cant get it back, it just scrolls away.

with the player set to ntsc, or with ntsc discs its all fine apart from vertical banding all the way across the screen on darker grays.

whats going on? isnt the ph40 pal progressive? or is the dvd player.

heeeelllpppp

edd

2. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ok, quick update, i have reflased the player with a disc, the website was on the forums.

the player set in pall now shows an image, great you might think, but no, the image is offsett heavily to the right, and down a little bit. ARRRGG whats going on??

3. rscott4563

rscott4563
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I also have a TX32PH40 with a Denon 2800MKII with Pal Prog and the problems I have come across are:

1)If at any time when using the progressive scan output you have the video output set as rgb in the video menu the picture will be screwed up, scrolling and cut in four!!

This is solved by just putting the video setting back to standard video, as it doesn't affect anything when your using the component output.

2)With component input to the PH40 there is a faint vertical green band in the middle of the screen, only really visible when the screen goes completely black, but still a problem.

3)With progressive scan through the components there is a very obvious shift to the right (not too sure about a downwards shift, but will check), bad moire effects on the left and right sides of the screen and at the top right corner of the screen the image seems to be almost tearing away to the left (hard to describe exactly what I mean, but its only the very top right corner about 1-2cm in width and going down from the top of the screen for about 7-10cm getting thinner as it goes down).

Only when progressive scan is enabled, so its just interlaced for me! :(

Now I'm not totally sure of the cause of all of these problems but I'm pretty sure the majority are related to the TV and I'm currently in the process of trying to get my PH40 checked by Panasonic. I have recently had a reply from their support department

Quote:

"PROBLEM RESOLUTION:
    Dear Mr Scott,

Thank you for your e-mail enquiry.

It must be rememebered the progressive system is only used with 60Hz
    sources i.e NTSC, otherwise picture flicker may result due to a lower frame
    rate. This will happen with PAL rate signals. Thus PAL should be viewed in
    normal interlaced form via the component input. This is the only problem
    that would normally occur.

I advise you to consult a service dealer with both the TV and the DVD
    player so he can check it. The TVs video processing board may be faulty but
    a service agent will determine this."

Depending on the outcome of this I may well be getting rid of my PH40 if I can't get a perfect working model and the money will be going towards a plasma and then I can test my 2800MKII properly with a nice big display, then if I'm not happy with the performance the 2800MKII will be going as well (probably for a 3800 or Arcam DV88+) as I've lost confidence in the 2800MKII due to a number of nagging problems and two returns to Denon.

Anyway I'd like to hear about what specific problems you've had with your PH40 & 2800MKII combo?

4. edd

edd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ive now changed the 2800 for a hk dvd25, the vertical banding was entirely due to the denon, (i checked it on a plasma display)

ive also fixed the shift to the left etc, just go into the service menu and change the screen with the pal progressive input (you wont affect the ntsc progressive input, ive checked)

also in the service menu is daf, when you fiddle this you can alter the moire (some times).

the best thing ive found is to zoom in a little using the vertical and horizontal amplitude, this got rid of 9 out of 10 morie effects, the rest i can live with.

the green band is there, cant get rid of that, ive found by altering brightness/contrast i can reduce it quite a lot.

other than that, im pretty happy now.

the hk dvd25 give pictures just as good too.

edd

5. Jasonjo

Jasonjo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    did you try to talk to Denon UK tech support? I know they sometimes take a while to respond though...

6. briandzo

briandzo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just an addition for any other 2800 users.

my 2800mk2 is region decoded and pal progressive.

When playing Region1 NTSC disks

I strongly urge you to set the dvd player to NTSC (interlaced)

If the player is set to PAL (prog or not)
    and you play a NTSC disk , man does it struggle.
    The player is having a hard time.
    watch a camera scroll from right to left
    there are frames being lost all over the show.

setting the player to NTSC (so long as your display can handle it)
    Will play the DVD in its native encoding.
    This works lovely.
    Cant use the progresive mode though.??