Hedge Removal

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This year I will definitely be removing the hedge at the front of our house, maybe in the rear garden too.

So far I've considered disposal by hiring a shredder and filling up a council garden waste recycle bin - collected one a fortnight that might take a while to shift!

Does anyone have advice on doing this sort of thing?

I believe it's known as a Leylandii/conifer hedge?

(I've just found out I could have 2 240litre bins! for £76 a year)

Last edited:
I would imagine that once you start to shred them, they won't take much space up at all . Maybe use them as mulch ? Ask your neighbours if they want any ?

thanks, I will definitely consider these options! :) burning it all sounds an ideal option

We can take our garden waste to the Council's Reclamation Centre for free.

Surely, you should be able to do the same? So isn't the cost outlay consideration mostly about fuel for the car?

Aldershot Waste Reclamation

Aldershot say: HWRC: Green waste can be taken to your local HWRC. From here it is taken then turned into Pro-Grow Soil Conditioner which is available to buy from all HWRCs.

Last edited:
We can take our garden waste to the Council's Reclamation Centre for free.

Surely, you should be able to do the same? So isn't the cost outlay consideration mostly about fuel for the car?

I was trying to bag up some hedge clippings after 3 bin bags - with 20+ to go.. and it shredding the bags themselves I got frustrated.

Also I have a clio - so this solution didn't appeal to me.

I was trying to bag up some hedge clippings after 3 bin bags - with 20+ to go.. and it shredding the bags themselves I got frustrated.

Also I have a clio - so this solution didn't appeal to me.

Half day van hire? Sling it all in the back, hose it down when done!

(Recently had £35 for half day, for taking bagged asbestos to the tip. Worked out well.)

Some tips won't let a van in . Mine local won't

If you've got loads of it it might be worth getting a skip. That's what a few doors up from us did.

I would hire a chipper from HSS and get a small skip to dump the bits into.

If you think you are going to have trouble with the top half , wait till you try and get the root system out !!!!

If you think you are going to have trouble with the top half , wait till you try and get the root system out !!!!

Louise wants a white picket fence - so i'll be digging up some post holes anyway :)

fingers crossed!

I would hire a chipper from HSS and get a small skip to dump the bits into.
I would go for a skip bag over a skip. I'm sure they are about a third of the price
:smashin:

wait till you try and get the root system out !!!!

Boy oh boy, can I vouch for that.
Removin hedge-type shrubs from a previous house involved lots of digging + a transit van with straps.
And it was still a struggle!:rolleyes:

I have read that it can't grow from the roots, is it necessary to do more than getting the bulk of the stump out?

Don't think so dan, in fact if you just get it down below ground level you may be alright, so long as you are prepared for the effects of it rotting below ground, ie possible subsidence and toadstools. What were you planning to put on top of it ?(other than a fence :))

Don't think so dan, in fact if you just get it down below ground level you may be alright, so long as you are prepared for the effects of it rotting below ground, ie possible subsidence and toadstools. What were you planning to put on top of it ?(other than a fence :))

Louise would a white picket fence with a tree planted near it to obscure the front of the house..and then perhaps edge planting :) the rest of the inner area is stones at the moment.

At first glance at the thread title I thought this might be another shaving related thread and poor dan might be having to confide with the GC members on how to go about trimming his bush!

Once entering the thread however I find out that legitimately dan does indeed need to trim his bush...

The only trouble with leaving any kind of bulky roots is that it may spoil your spacing of fence posts.
I was replacing a shrub hedge with a fence too, I wanted completely clear earth so I could put posts in where I wanted, with plenty of cement.
So I was digging quite big holes at regular intervals.
Not easy or even possible if I'd left any roots/stumps behind.

Some good tips for dealing with the roots:

For starters if you are 'chopping off everything at the top and intending on just leaving the root' - well don't chop off absolutely everything. Try and leave a good strong piece of top stock about 2-3ft high to use as a lever to help lever the root out. You can always chop it off last thing.

The root system will have tap roots ands other roots going into deep soil all round the trunk. A better way to sever them rather than using an axe is to sever them with a wide wood chisel and a fairly heavy hammer. These can be bought for a few £s. (An axe will tend to 'bounce' off the roots, particularly if it is not absolutely razor sharp)

Check if your Council offers a free green waste pick up service, ours does (Bulk Green Waste Collection | The Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead). All you have to do is book it in advance and have the stuff ready to be easily hoisted onto a truck, doesn't even have to be shredded.

Just had a large tree cut down in the garden and the shredder they use is incredible! Compacts stuff down about 8-1 apparently.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom