Heavy Handed?

Solomon Grundy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After walking the kids to school this morning I was just leaving when I saw another kid kick my lad on the knee and make him cry.

My 10 year old lad, in tears, shouted at him "FUDGE OFF!" which to me is completely unacceptable. I walked over to him and told him in no uncertain terms that I would speak to him later about his language and then said to the kicker kid "Look at me...you kick him again and there will be trouble". Then I carried on my way and set off for work.

Anyway, I called school while traveling to work and they said they will investigate what's going on. Now I'm thinking I will be in trouble if the kid perceives I threatened him. Which I didn't. I just meant I would tell the school. Should I worry?

Well that's a relief. I should have been more cool and just gone into school there and then...but on the other hand if I saw my Dad walk on by while I was being kicked I would have been devastated.

You did the right thing and have nothing to worry about. No parent is going to watch somebody hurt their child without taking immediate action.

The number 3, colour purple and people whose surname is worth more than 10 in scrabble will be lucky for you. Avoid the number 8, yellow, and anyone with a name which is a palindrommmmmmmmme.

There's a fair chance my lad was winding him up in the first place so he's not getting off Scott free when I see him in a bit. He knows not to hit back, hence the swearing was the reaction to being kicked.

There's a fair chance my lad was winding him up in the first place so he's not getting off Scott free when I see him in a bit. He knows not to hit back, hence the swearing was the reaction to being kicked.

You have taught your kid not hit someone if some hits him? Then What he supposed to do, get a beating? Personally is I had kids they'd be at karate or boxing to learn to DEFEND themselfs. If they used it for offence though or bully I'd kick their arse

Don't be too hard on your lad. Yes he shouldn't of swore, but given the situation he needed to retaliate in some way.

Sit down with him, get his side of events and explain the rights and wrongs.

Personally i'd be proud that he stood up to him in some way, although could of chose his words better.

You have taught your kid not hit someone if some hits him? Then What he supposed to do, get a beating? Personally is I had kids they'd be at karate or boxing to learn to DEFEND themselfs. If they used it for offence though or bully I'd kick their arse
Haha. He's 10 so of course I have told him not to hit back. The school deals with discipline, not the kids.

I hit someone once sticking up for my Brother and almost killed them so from personal experience I don't want my Son going anywhere near that situation.

Your not allowed to retaliate. You have to take the beating and then report it to your teacher.

I see it as self defense, however the school legally see it as retaliation, therefore he would be wrong.

Ridiculous.

Your not allowed to retaliate. You have to take the beating and then report it to your teacher.

I see it as self defense, however the school legally see it as retaliation, therefore he would be wrong.

Ridiculous.

Crazy

Hitting someone back in a playground tit for tat is not acceptable. Especially at 10 when you're friends one minute and enemies the next...then friends again.

Haha. He's 10 so of course I have told him not to hit back. The school deals with discipline, not the kids.

I hit someone once sticking up for my Brother and almost killed them so from personal experience I don't want my Son going anywhere near that situation.

Just curious, were you defending yourself or not?

That raises a question to me. You are allowed to use reasonable force to defend yourself in law. So if you walk Upto someone and hit them you are wrong. If you hit them once and they die, you get done for manslaughter.

What happens if some throws two punches at you, one hits, the other misses but you take the Hit no Problem, then you throw one punch back, knock them over and they smash their head in and die.

Really you've only used reasonable force, but someone's died. What would the law do? Manslaughter? Death by misadventure? Or something else?

Personally I think well that's just tough luck and the killer shouldn't be prosecuted.

I wouldnt have told my kid off, the only way to stop a bully is to hit back
That's what I told my kids. 'They hit you, you hit them back'
Probably illegal in this crazy age, it's all counseling and safe places for today's little petals :rolleyes:

Just curious, were you defending yourself or not?

That raises a question to me. You are allowed to use reasonable force to defend yourself in law. So if you walk Upto someone and hit them you are wrong. If you hit them once and they die, you get done for manslaughter.

What happens if some throws two punches at you, one hits, the other misses but you take the Hit no Problem, then you throw one punch back, knock them over and they smash their head in and die.

Really you've only used reasonable force, but someone's died. What would the law do? Manslaughter? Death by misadventure? Or something else?

Personally I think well that's just tough luck and the killer shouldn't be prosecuted.

Had you watched Channel 4 just now you would've seen exactly what happened in 3 situations of one punch leading to a death.

It happened to a mate of mine, the other bloke got done for manslaughter. The 3rd story tonight shows you what happens when it's self defence & what is deemed self defence. Good documentary if you can find it. Think it was called One Killer Punch

I suggest you'd imply you meant "in trouble", it is a subtle difference in words but could be taken very differently. The kid is a bully and I'd have said the same but "in trouble" sounds much better among adults.

Had you watched Channel 4 just now you would've seen exactly what happened in 3 situations of one punch leading to a death.

It happened to a mate of mine, the other bloke got done for manslaughter. The 3rd story tonight shows you what happens when it's self defence & what is deemed self defence. Good documentary if you can find it. Think it was called One Killer Punch

Caught the third story on 4+1. I've seen a documentary about this before but different incidents to these. I'm glad that lad didn't get done. Three of them wanting a go, at least two of them clearly bigger than him and at least two throwing punches at him, I'm surprised it took that long to punch someone. He did everything he could to get them to leave it, so like I said as far as I'm concerned, tough luck. Even the lad who died wife sees the same way.

Though killing someone however it's done shouldn't ever leave you even if in self defence .
The extreme examples are the ones that make the press but we shouldn't condone any type of violence and especially at school as that is what we are talking about . As much as self defence is an argument I doubt it is in young children

It may be seen as attempted murder by today's snowflakes, but the good ol' 'clip round the ear' worked wonders.
If my son had been bullying a girl/boy and their dad gave him a clip, I wouldn't have any problem in fact I'd also give him one myself.

When my oldest daughter was 10, she was constantly harassed and eventually hit by an unpleasant boy who used to live in the village, I opened the window and told him if he couldn't play normally like all the other children he go play on his own, back whence he came form.. He came from a known rough family..

Later on that day, I was informed his dad was on his way down to "Sort me out", apparently he'd been going round the village sorting other parents out, on other occasions..
My ex was out at the time, shopping, I rung her up to ask her to come back because this might get nasty, she told me he was about 20 stone and 6 ft 4, and she was busy, I was like ooops.

Anyway he did come round with his beaten wife and said offspring, he drove on the road like a maniac and pulled onto my shared drive at an angle. I ran out and met him outside my doorway, I told him he can come in and chat about or roll around outside.
Anyway he came in and I explained my side (that if it was two lads, I'd let them sort it out on the grass, but she is a lovely passive girl and she just wants to play), he had his say (His lads had a tough upbringing and he has no friends, blah, blah) we shook hands and that was the end of that.

My parents became JW at an early age, which children at school thought was an invitation to pick on the jovey kid, so I was basically insulted and provoked quite often as a child, my reaction was to fight. I think by the time I left senior school I'd had well over 20 fights, luckily I was good at it but it always felt a tad unfair when I was sat outside the headmasters office for yet another altercation, the schools never did anything, yep eventually I enjoyed a grudging respect but I just wanted to go to school and be left alone. Sad really, waste of education.

This inner/outer rage followed me round for a number of yrs, now I'm relatively peaceful, I would step in to protect my child but I have asked her to deal with bullying in a defensive manner so she learns how to protect herself against people with poor boundaries.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, 'Fudge off' is unacceptable. One should always use the correct vocabulary when swearing and not bowdlerise.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom