Heavy duty hooks for plasterboard

Ilovewaffles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I want to hang my pictures up on the plasterboard walls of my 6 year old house, but looking at the range available, I wouldn’t trust some of them for hanging pictures and mirrors. I’ve put this off for so long, fearful of poss disasters! Which ones have you found from experience to be the best?
I also want to buy a device that, besides showing studs, cables, metal pipes etc , also identifies plastic pipes. I’ve seen a couple on Amazon. Any suggestions, not too pricey? I’m not trying the screwdriver stethoscope method!

It depends on the weight of the pictures or mirrors.

For most pictures, a pictures hook with a couple of nails is fine, but you will want to put something a bit stronger in for larger mirrors, perhaps some screw-in fixings.

In newer houses, pipes and cables will tend to run pretty much vertically from radiators and sockets etc. so there's not much chance of hitting them just putting in a short nail or screw fixing. Unless you are planning some serious DIY that needs fixing into studs or where you are intending to drill large holes above sockets or switches, I really wouldn't worry too much.

In my new build the plastic push fit heating pipes run all over the place, unlike the electrics, which are run in zones, if your house has been built like this.

The plumbers did install some metallic tape behind the pips though, so you should be able to pick that up, with a metal detector.

I did purchase a couple of detectors, but their functionality was a bit sporadic.

I've seen this video posted here before and could probably find the thread with more time.

Edit:

Last edited:
In my new build the plastic push fit heating pipes run all over the place, unlike the electrics, which are run in zones, if your house has been built like this.

The plumbers did install some metallic tape behind the pips though, so you should be able to pick that up, with a metal detector.

I did purchase a couple of detectors, but their functionality was a bit sporadic.
I heard they were supposed to have put foil around the plastic pipes, but they may have cut corners and not done this.I’ll never know. If my plastic pipes are all over the places, the pictures, shelves etc will ever go up! Can’t take the risk.

I got some of these for work a few weeks back , 3M make very good tape

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom