1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heavenly DAC - my god you vinyl fans will love this !

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by BUGANNA, Jul 19, 2005.

1. BUGANNA

BUGANNA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    guys

just tested out an Audio Note Dac Zero, in the studio today

my gosh !

this thing is amazing, you get all the detail on the cd, with almost vinyl type harmonics..............

it sounds so smooth, yet so detailed, very much like high end analogue

the dac uses the 24bit Delta Sigma chip, and is couple to a pair of valves ( tubes ) ,

this dac is pretty unique, in that is has ZERO OVERSAMPLING, and thus u get the sound cut out of the cd, with no filtering/oversampling

the only downside of such a cut throat design, is that you can get some type of ripple effect, over 22khz, which can possibly affect some sensitive tweeters, like ribbon ones.........

but for metal dome, soft dome, silk dome, etc thats not an issue

for anyone looking for an upgrade that WILL give u that sought after vinyl feeling, this is the beast !

not cheap, at £ 700 new ( $ 1200 US ) , and a limited production design, but if u can get one pre-owned, ( or steal one :devil: )

this is the boy to own

Im stunned, my Dacmagic sound superb, with all the detail and balance that I love, but this thing just adds an extra layer of feel-good factor

its hard to describe !

its also an ideal upgrade, for those with non valve amps, who seek a glimpe into that magical sound quality

:thumbsup:

2. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Buganna go and read about NOS DACs on the forum. And on Google cheaper alternative to the Audio Notes DACs (Im not a fan after hearing a DAC 1.1x Signature FWIW) and Im a vinyl lover.

3. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Leaving aside the hyperbole,many of Audionote's DACs have been well received,albeit with caveats surrounding the extended HF output in terms of noise as you mention,and may be an issue for some metal tweeters as well as ribbons.

One other point...whilst the input receiver is a 24 bit compatible device,the DAC itself is an 18bit Analogue Devices convertor.

It's important to remember that as well as the sampling methods being used,the valved output stage and PIO capacitors will have a major influence on it's sound quality.

Other sources of info on NOS DAC's include Pinkfish and Zerogain.

Like CJROSS,I think they're decent products,but there are equally good if not better competitors in each price range,and I also think that Audionote's forte is in SET amps,rather than DACs.

4. Ed Selley

Ed Selley
    AVF Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,587
    As an Audio Note owner, I'll concur that they sound pretty good and have a sumptous midrange. The bass is normally a bit lumpy and as you say it isn't good at the top (trust me when I say the problems start a lot lower than 22khz). I've got an Dac Zero (used for testing outputs and other miscelleneous tasks) and a AN-CD2 (which has been quite heavily modified to improve the bass performance) but the latter certainly is going to get swapped out for a Cambridge 740C once we start building the bloody things.

5. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Interesting comment about the HF problems beginning in the audible range,but must be an almost inevitable consequence of having no digital filtering.

I have to say that I much prefer the sound of something like a dCS or Perpetual Technologies DACs,both of which employ upsampling,and interpolation,but arrive(esp in the case of the dCS) at a very clear sound,with no nasty edges at all.

Obviously,both are more expensive than the Audionote Zero(esp the dCS!).

6. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,276
    I think it is the lack of filtering (digital) that bis the major difference in this DAC, the valves etc are just another way of doing the same job.