• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Heatsink help.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
I am planning on upgrading to X2 DC for my entertainment PC. However, I am worried that the supplied AMD heatsink is too big for my Q-Tek Aspire case. Can someone tell me the height of the X2 4200 heatsink. I currently have a Athlon 64 3700 and there is not much room above for a bigger heatsink.

Paul Shirley

Established Member
The 4600 heatpipe version is 110x92x63mm (HxWxD) and you'll need some space above that 63mm for airflow. The width includes the heatpipes, it might squeeze into a narrower space on some boards.

Can anyone tell my how loud it is and what sort of temps are people seeing? I didn't have the time to pull the mboard from my PC to change backplates, will it be worth the effort - I'm seeing 62c on sustained loads (a 4gb PAR2 job), seems a little too high for comfort.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Paul Shirley said:
The 4600 heatpipe version is 110x92x63mm (HxWxD) and you'll need some space above that 63mm for airflow.

Thanks, that helps a lot.

Don't you mean you'll need some space above that 110mm for airflow if 110 is height?

If the 110 is height. I think it will be too big. Does anyone know any good but smaller heatsinks that will work with at least a X2 4200?

I'm getting an average of about 34 C with my 3700.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Does anyone know of a good X2 4200+ heatsink/fan that is no more than about 70mm in height (inc fan) for £20 max.

What is a backplate?

Paul Shirley

Established Member
nwgarratt said:
Don't you mean you'll need some space above that 110mm for airflow if 110 is height?
Doh! My mistake, not had enough sleep.

Its 63mm height (cpu plate to fantop) - that would leave you 7mm airspace to feed the fan - just about usable.

The backplate is attached to the back side of the mboard and the heatsink mount bolts onto it on the front side. If you're using a standard mount you don't need to worry about it - I'm using an enormous radial copper heatsink with a 12cm fan and it screws on rather than using the normal system, normal heatsinks aren't interchangeable.

Paul Shirley

Established Member
Looking down on it theres a 92mm fan mounted on a 92mm square heatsink with heat pipes sticking out the side, the 110 is the maximum width including the heatpipes.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Paul Shirley said:
Looking down on it theres a 92mm fan mounted on a 92mm square heatsink with heat pipes sticking out the side, the 110 is the maximum width including the heatpipes.

Ah, ok. :) :thumbsup:

This is what my current 3700 heatsink is like.

Paul Shirley

Established Member
Don't think you'll have a problem fitting it, the heatpipes are on the same sides as the mounting clip and otherwise it looks roughly the same size as your current heatsink.

nwgarratt

Distinguished Member
Thanks.

I have started to feel that it might be better to stay as I am. The current processor is only six months old but, I wanted to upgrade to dual core before the S939 ones disappear.

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom