Heatsink for Pentium 4

Cyclops11

Standard Member
Hi,
I have a Dell dimension 3000 (old I know) and i am about to upgrade the CPU from a celeron D 340 2.93Ghz to a Pentium 4 2.8Ghz.

Will the present heatsink do for the new CPU or will a need a pentium specific one?

thanks

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
Without knowing what your current heatsink actually is or which 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 you're going for the question is impossible to answer but I'd imagine it'll be sufficient.

Are you getting the CPU for free? It seems a very small upgrade to be bothering with.

Cyclops11

Standard Member
New chip i'm putting in will be INTEL P4 2.8GHZ 533MHZ FSB 512 cache, used off ebay.
Not sure of heatsink, really just wanted to know if the current one would be sufficient and if there were any physical differences to warrant a new heatsink.

Been a while since I've been into the guts of a pc so a bit out of touch with the hardware side of things.

Reason for change is daughter wants to put Sims 3 on and hope a Pentium would be a more suitable processor.

Also looking for 256mb pci graphics card to improve grahics capability. currently looking at PNY Geforce 6200 DDR2 256 PCI Graphics card.

iac304

Standard Member
The celeron D heatsinks, pictured here (one of the following)
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/celeron-d/cooler-2.jpg
http://www.xbitlabs.com/images/cpu/celeron-d/cooler-1.jpg
were pretty efficient and will cope with a p4 2.8 ok.

However I would agree with the previous poster in saying that it might be a lot of hassle for very little gain. The p4 2.8 is slightly faster, as shown on the benchmarkings here X-bit labs - Print version
but when looking at modern games its unlikely to significantly change your fps.

Indeed your current CPU should easily be able to handle Sims 3 (which requires minimum a p4 2.0 ghz ~ celeron 2.4 ghz). Instead I would maybe look at your RAM and graphics card, minimum requirements being:-
- 1 GB RAM
- 128 MB Video Card with support for Pixel Shader 2.0 (GeForce FX 5900 / Radeon 9500 125 Mb upwards)

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom