Heating Automation ??

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Spy, Feb 16, 2005.

1. Spy

Spy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    The timer on my heating system has broken and rather than replace it with a similar model I was thinking of fitting an X10 version

Looking through the various websites, I only seem to find X10 Thermostats - am I miising something ?

Are there X10 heating timers ?

By timer, I mean the type where you set the times the heating comes on and off

Any help is appreciated

2. rectorydp

rectorydp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Heating automation is an interesting topic and one of the few areas of home automation that consistently gets high WAF! There are many different approaches and few commercial solutions - the most common of which is probably the Honeywell Smartfit.

I am not aware of any X10 heating controllers but most of the home automation controllers that manage X10 provide the basic functionality.

Take a look at the forum over at Automated Home (http://www.automatedhome.co.uk) - there is a specific area for Heating Control that also refers to various articles on automating central heating.

I went for a home-built solution using a VIOM (www.phaedrusltd.co.uk) managed by my HA controller (Homeseer). This solution provides me with much greater timing control than I could ever get with a standard controller and the ability to control the heating through a browser or via a remote (IR or RF).

A Netiom has recently been produced that has the same relay outputs as a VIOM (also from Phaedrus) but which can be directly controlled though a browser. There is also a product called the WebBrick (see http://www.o2m8.com) that provides input output control and a web interface. It would be an excellent solution if you just want a standalone solution.

I hope this helps rather than confuses!

BR
    David

3. fallwood

fallwood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I replaced my heating timer with an x10 appliance switch , I then use homeseer to do all the timer settings in conjunction with digimax thermostats to monitor the temperature. Gives huge flexibility but the cost of a dedicated hapc and buying all the necesary x10 stuff makes it an expensive option if heating is all your going to controll.

4. Fartpants

Fartpants

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/faq/index.php?sid=7288&aktion=artikel&rubrik=002&id=9&lang=en

shows a very simple way to do it, I am going a bit further to tidy up the basic good idea, I have found the basic appliance module is in 2 halves, I am going to use two top halves through terminal block to conect it all up, and put it all in a nice box.

I will do pictures, but the chap on that page has done a very good simple job to do for about £35 what others pay hundreds for.