Heating at work.

damo09

Hi all. We have no heating at work and they have flat refused to get any portable heating for us either. Does anyone know the laws on heating at work.

Many thanks.

Attachments

• 20190130_064626.jpg
    20190130_064626.jpg
    557.6 KB · Views: 191

Delvey

Distinguished Member
Do they supply you with warm clothing?
If not, then it is a health and safety risk.

shodan

Distinguished Member
We had that problem in the office. We were sitting there wearing costs and scarfs. It was actually warmer outside! Unfortunately we aren't covered by the journal workplace health and safety regs.

It was warmer in the superintendents office so a few of us went to see him. I took my laptop and asked if I work from there...
We got given the corporate credit card and got the techs out to fix the heating. (A trillion quid for a boiler part I've no doubt)...

gibbsy

We had that problem in the office. We were sitting there wearing costs and scarfs. It was actually warmer outside! Unfortunately we aren't covered by the journal workplace health and safety regs.

It was warmer in the superintendents office so a few of us went to see him. I took my laptop and asked if I work from there...
We got given the corporate credit card and got the techs out to fix the heating. (A trillion quid for a boiler part I've no doubt)...
Always nice and warm in our station. Could get quite hot when we worked outside as well.;)

Fire Stations were covered by OSRA. Police Stations classed as Crown Property? I know they didn't come under fire regs as part of the inspection under section 1.1d of the Fire Service Act.

Sometimes it was so warm in the station that you couldn't get to sleep.:)

shodan

Distinguished Member
Always nice and warm in our station. Could get quite hot when we worked outside as well.;)

Fire Stations were covered by OSRA. Police Stations classed as Crown Property? I know they didn't come under fire regs as part of the inspection under section 1.1d of the Fire Service Act.

Sometimes it was so warm in the station that you couldn't get to sleep.:)
Got to take care of you guys, you'll go on strike again otherwise....

gibbsy

Got to take care of you guys, you'll go on strike again otherwise....
I was on the picket line in 1979. What were you doing then.;)

shodan

Distinguished Member
Eating, sleeping and crapping. I was two years old.... and now I'm coming up to 42...

nvingo

Distinguished Member
If it got really cold when i'm driving the forklift outside, I might put a coat on too.
-2° when I arrived today. Not there yet!

gibbsy

I don't sleep as much...
My missus pointed out my mistake. We were married in 1979. I was on strike in 1977. So that would make your....err....zero.

One thing about going on strike in the middle of a cold winter was that it got me into wearing womens' tights. But the less said about that the better.:smashin:

blue max

Distinguished Member
M

One thing about going on strike in the middle of a cold winter was that it got me into wearing womens' tights. But the less said about that the better.:smashin:

Too much time on your hands?

I remember the 'Winter of Women's Lingerie' in 1978-79. Affected a whole generation!

shodan

Distinguished Member
My missus pointed out my mistake. We were married in 1979. I was on strike in 1977. So that would make your....err....zero.

Must. Not. Reply. Too much ammo...

D

Deleted member 27989

They are also useful for polishing boots and getting a shined like a mirror :)

Well that was my excuse when I was caught with women’s tights in my locker in the Army :)

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Can we get some sense of the Type and Nature of the work you do? Warehouse? Office? Factory? Other?

What is the objection to bringing in space heaters?

Here is a type of heat I've found that works for me. In the Winter (Minnesota -30F, -34°C), I keep the house at about 66°F to 68°F (18.8°C to 20°C), otherwise the cost is astronomical. When sitting at my computer as I often am, I discovered that a 75w Infra-Red Electric Bulb keeps me as warm as a 1000w Electric Heater, and for a lot less money.

The only problem is that a 75w bulb kicks out a lot of light, so I have it clamped to the side of my deck pointing forward, essentially keeping my feet and legs warm, while not shining directly into my eyes.

If the light is too much, then a small 100w heater like this is workable -

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OUZIFISH-Infrared-Reptiles-Habitats-Amphibians/dp/B07HVHC243/

Keep in mind you are not trying to heat a whole room, just the space under your desk, assuming you actually work at a desk.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=infrared+bulb

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Efbe-Schott-Infrared-Lamp-Watt-x/dp/B000X8VQJS/

There are higher powered infrared bulbs, but for me 75w to 100w is more than enough.

If you work in more of an open area, these bulbs can be placed above you shining down. They are frequently used on loading dock where doors are often opened. The Bulb really don't heat the room, they heat objects, like your legs and feet, that they hit. I also have one in the ceiling of my bathroom, which is nice when you get out of the shower.

Don't know if or how that helps, but I thought I would pass it long.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Trollslayer

Distinguished Member

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bowers & Wilkins launches Px8 headphone