• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

heat

buddyspudface

hi everyone, not sure if there is any real info around on this subject but i was wondering if there is a site anywhere that gives the heat output on modern tv's. my front room is very small and what i did notice from my last tv ( samsung js9500 ) is that the room did become stuffy after a while due to the heat from the tv. i have been down to currys ( i know i know ) and i could feel the heat just jumping off a lot of screens. it seemed like OLED were running hotter than qlcd samsungs. all this hdr stuff, is it driving the heat up on the screens compared to our older samsung?.

Dodgexander

TVs went through a big power saving drive in the last 10 years and consume a lot less power than older models do in general.

However, more recently with the advent of HDR and increased demands for TVs to get a lot brighter, they can actually consume more now than they used too, depending on the model.

If you are shopping for a higher end TV, because you are going to use HDR content with the TV, it comes at a cost of higher power consumption, but that higher consumption will only be reached when you use HDR on the TV, and not with SDR.

Presuming you have the 65" JS9500 typical power consumption is listed as 110w which will be around what it consumes in SDR mode. Whilst the maximum power consumption is 350w which is what the TV consumes during HDR use, or if you pump the backlight level to the highest amount.

Compare that to the closest spec Samsung model today such as the Q90T is 120w normally and 300w max, so the heat outputted by another FALD TV of similar ilk will broadly be the same.

OLED power consumption during HDR use will be lower, since they don't get as bright, and the pixels themselves light up, without needing LEDs behind the TVs panel. For SDR use they will broadly be similar. Its relative to how bright you have the OLED, or in the case of LCD TVs, how strong you have the backlight.

But this is complicated, general thing to remember is power equates to heat and the more power the TV uses the more heat it will produce. An easier way to compare power output is to look at the energy stickers each TV has and base it on that, as that will measure each TV by its average consumption and is a good way to compare usage between different models.

If you are looking for the absolute best power consumption then the cheaper and smaller TV you buy, the better it will be since those TVs can't get very bright in HDR mode.

buddyspudface

wow yet again you have an amazing in-depth knowledge. how you manage to type so much and yet have no errors is truly impressive. long may you continue.

Dodgexander

wow yet again you have an amazing in-depth knowledge. how you manage to type so much and yet have no errors is truly impressive. long may you continue.
thanks, plenty of mistakes in my post, in part due to my broken English and poor punctuation, but I hope its of help anyway.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom