Heat sink & Fan for AMD Athlon K7

caylem

Standard Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a silent heat sink & fan for an AMD Athlon (k7) slot A chip??

The fans on my exisiting heat sink are too noisey, and I can't seem to pick up a decent 50mm fan

Thanks

I've been using a Zalman "flower" (CNPS3100-Plus) on my XP1700+ for 3 years. The fan can be run at 2 speeds & is inaudible at the lower (drowned out by a 300W "quiet" PSU). I think Zalman have a much bigger range now (I think they're www.zalman.co.kr).

Oops. Didn't read that properly. Seems to be quite hard to find something for slot A.
QuietPC recommends:
"There are no plans to produce a Radial Fin solution for the Slot A Athlon, but if you have a Slot A Athlon, please consider retaining your existing heatsink and using the fan kit contained in our Flower Cooler"
This is the large fan (92mm) which is suspended over the heatsink via a bracket attached to the top of the PCI slots.

Thanks for the help.

I had looked at most sites, but couldn't find much on the older socket a / slot 1 cpus.

Can you angle the fan in the flower? Due to the type of processor the heatsink is pointing towards the front of the pc and not upwards.

The only other thing, would be to replace the two small 50mm fans on the heatsink - would a normal case fan be okay for this??

The fan can't be angled. The movement is along a short slot (front to back) and rotational about the single pivot point. The bracket can fit to any 3 PCI slot tops. This gives quite a lot of choice of position but only in a plane parallel to the motherboard. (You can see pictures and an installation movie on the Zalman site, www.quietpc.com also has some images which give an idea of how it works.)

The only other thing that springs to mind is to use an adapter to allow fitting of a larger fan to the heatsink and slowing it down with a "resistor-thingy". I don't know if a compatible adapter exists, but perhaps slowing down the fan is a possibility if the CPU can cope with getting a little warmer.

Yeah I looked on the zalman site, and couldn't see how this would work on my processor.

If I attached a larger fan, why would I need to slow it down? Are CPU fans different to normal case fans?

You don't have to slow down a larger fan, but it will be quieter if you do. The idea is that a larger, slower fan will shift the same amount of air as a smaller, faster one.

Thanks for your help, I'll try a larger fan and see what can be done. The problem is that there isn't that much room between the existing heatsink & fan and the atx power connector on the motherboard

Unfortunately, I think a new motherboard / processor may be in order if I want a silent machine

Thanks again

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom