1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat Question

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by avelagapudi, May 14, 2001.

1. avelagapudi

avelagapudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    May have been a topic before but couldn't find one :

Michael Mann remade his film "LA Takedown" as "Heat".
    Does anybody know how many other directors have had the chance to remake one of their own movies ?

2. Vixpy

Vixpy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    rumours are that we will get a heat s.e soon with an anamorphic transfer (finally!) and a propally formated dd soundtrack and maybe dts

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Yeah, Robert Rodriguez remade El Mariachi as Despersdo.

4. Yatia

Yatia
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Would I be right in saying that Heat is being reissued soon?

Ian.

5. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    1) Alfred Hitchcock made The Man Who Knew Too Much in England, in 1934, then remade it in Hollywood, in 1956

2) Dutch director George Sluizer made the psychological thriller Spoorloos (English title The Vanishing) in Holland, in 1988, then remade it in Hollywood (as The Vanishing), in 1993

3) Danish director Ole Bornedal made the thriller Nattevagten (English title Nightwatch) in Denmark, in 1994, then remade it in Hollywood (as Nightwatch, and starring Ewan McGregor), in 1998

...countless other examples exist, but I have to go now!...

. . . :( . . .

6. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ...German director G.W. Pabst made Die Dreigroschenoper (English title The Threepenny Opera) in Berlin, in 1931 - and that same year also directed the French version L'Opéra de quat' sous, featuring a French cast.

...French author/director Francis Veber made Les Fugitifs starring Gérard Depardieu and Pierre Richard, in France, in 1986 - and in 1989 made the Hollywood version titled Three Fugitives and starring Nick Nolte and martin Short.

Veber also made the much-praised Le Dîner de Cons in France, in 1998, and helms the American remake Dinner For Shmucks (starring Kevin Kline and Steve Martin), due sometime later this year...

. . .

[ 15-05-2001: Message edited by: European ]

7. avelagapudi

avelagapudi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am impressed, did you just happen to know all this stuff or is there somewhere you can look it up !

It does seem to be more often than not a "foreign" language film (which I must admit I have not seen many of) remade into English.

8. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,862
    Arry,

The reason so much foreign-language material gets remade into English, is because it's so bloody good!

Shame, however, that the remakes normally end up being total garbage, e.g. Nikita being remade as "The Assassin" (or "Point Of No Return")

Pooch

9. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    arry: ...how could I forget the 'biggest' remake of them all: the prologue(!) of Cecil B DeMille's epic 1921 The Ten Commandments (which was filmed in color, by the way) was remade - in greatly expanded form - in 1956 - in Technicolor, and in VistaVision ('Motion Picture High Fidelity').

Of course, remakes as such have been a mainstay of Hollywood: for example, MGM produced both versions (1935 and 1962) of Mutiny On The Bounty, as well as two versions (1925 and 1959) of Ben Hur, but with a different director for each version.

Among my books-about-film there is one called "Make It Again, Sam - A Survey of Movie Remakes" by Michael B. Druxman. The book was issued in 1975, and even then it ran to 250+ pages, all about remakes... There are scads of American remakes of European movies, e.g. Der Blaue Engel (Germany, 1930) and a pretty dire American version The Blue Angel (1959).

There are even more remakes of American movies, e.g. A Star Is Born: 1937, 1954 and 1976 - The Hunchback Of Notre Dame: 1923, 1939 and Disney's 1996 animated version - The Jungle Book: 1942, Disney's animated version Jungle Book of 1967 and a more recent (1994) live action version Rudyard Kipling's The Jungle Book starring Jason Scott Lee.

This could go on for quite a while yet, but I think you get the gist...

In movies, then, as in so many things, there is really nothing new under the sun!

. . . Cheers! . . .

[ 15-05-2001: Message edited by: European ]

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Desperado was a sequel to El Mariachi, not a remake.

11. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I'd dispute that a bit: its more of a remake with bells on in much the same way that Evil Dead 2 is a revamped version of the first film.

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Given that the action is of course somewhat similar I would say the story isn't as the Mariachi in part II goes after the guy who is behind the murder of his late lover seeking revenge for what happened in the first part.
    Remember that at the end (inside the ranch) they show a scene from the first movie (though it's remade with Antonio Banderas).