1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heat in my cabinet

Discussion in 'AV Stands, Cabinets, Seating & Furniture' started by sean in singers, Oct 27, 2004.

1. sean in singers

sean in singers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just finished setting up my kit; a denon 2805/2910 combo with a pioneer external tuner and cable tv box. I've installed it all in a two shelf cabinet, and had 3 vents cut in the back (approx 10cm x 10cm each). After the system has been on for a while the heat generated in side the cabinet is pretty amazing. Am I likely to damage my equipment, or should it tolerate this kind of temperature? (yet to actually take the temp inside, but bloody hot I think could well describe it).

Should I install some sort of fan to expel the hot air? If so, any recommendations?

Cheers
    Sean

2. AMc

AMc
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,087
    You'll probably find it's the cable box that's cooking everything - mine runs very hot indeed. If you can't cut more holes then a fan would be a sensible alternative - probably a silent PC one powered from a DC power supply.
    It probably won't damage your kit any more than if you were running it all in a hot country, but I wouldn't take the risk if it were mine.

3. sean in singers

sean in singers
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Andy. I thought I'd be smart and installed an AC fan using the power out from the amp; problem is it now sounds like a plane about to take off. So, I'll try the PC fan option with a DC supply...

I also live in a hot country, so best get on with it.

CHeers
    Sean