Heat difference - 5200rpm vs 7200rpm

BandofBrothers

EDIT: 5400RPM lol its late and im v tired :p

Just wondering if theres a lot of difference.

My launch 60gb Uk console is still going strong, I replaced the 60gb 5200rpm drive with a 7200rpm 250gb WD hard drive about 7 months ago, and was wondering if theres much difference in heat output between the two?

Also, I have noticed a few things....music sometimes stutters now, and sound in games is out of sync a little bit

Could the hdd be on its way out? I might have to take it out and test in my pc, and run a HDD health check scan on it :(

Would it be worth me getting a nice shiny new 500gb 5200rpm Western Digital drive for my ps3?

Thanks for any advice:thumbsup:

botty

Novice Member
I can't help on the heat question sorry mate, but I can fully recommend getting the 500GB HDD from WD.:thumbsup:

I fitted one of these a few months ago and apart from waiting 30 odd hours for a full format to complete, it has been totally faultless.

I say go for it:smashin:

Axum

Novice Member
I can't imagine any HDD issues causing those kind of problems, they might, but it doesn't seem likely, it's more likely it would just stop working...

If you're thinking about changing it, and can afford to, then do it, the slight time savings you get from a 7200 drive to me don't outweight the possible risks in deviating from the standard 5400 drive...

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
The issues with using a 7200rpm drive is that with it spinning faster the drive needs to be kept cooler.

the fan and heat piping in the PS3 is designed to keep 5400 type drives cool therefore it's not really up to keeping a 7200 drive cool enough it's why Sony say not to use one, it's a use at your own risk situation.

Workshed

the fan and heat piping in the PS3 is designed to keep 5400 type drives cool therefore it's not really up to keeping a 7200 drive cool enough it's why Sony say not to use one, it's a use at your own risk situation.

Where does Sony say not to use a 7200rpm drive?

Also the heatpipes only cool the CPU and GPU, they are not used in hard drive cooling at all. (Check out this pic)

7200rpm drives really don't put out much more heat than 5200rpm drives and the PS3 accepts ANY 2.5" drive that adheres to the SATA spec.

**HD-FAN**

Novice Member
I've had a 7200rpm drive in mine for just over 1 and 1/2 years. I've never had any problem with my PS3 (60Gig Original Version) since the drive was installed. Saying that my PS3 is in a well ventilated position and not in direct sunlight or near other heat sources. These factors must also be considered in my opinion. Upgrade...you wont regret it just be very careful when undoing the internal screw as it seems to be very weak metal. Good luck :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom