HEARTS v AEK Athens CL Q-R 3

featherhall

Distinguished Member
HEARTS v AEK Athens - CL Q-R3

my teams playing tonight in the biggest game in their history tonight :thumbsup: If we beat AEK over the 2 legs we will be in the Champions League for the first time in our history.

Cant wait, we beat Celtic on Sunday so have alot of confidence going into this one. Only thing is we are playing the home leg at Murrayfield instead of Tynecastle (to allow more fans in to see it). I know Arsenal did something silmilar at Wembley, and I hope it doesn't have the same effect. Something will be lost as Tynecastle is a bear pit for tightness and atmosphere, whereas Murrayfield is ALOT bigger, and the fans are alot further away from the pitch.

Words will not be able to describe how fantastic it would be if we made it. Sad, but couldn't sleep last night !!!!!!

Good luck to the Jambos
 

Phil Hinton

Editor
Staff member
featherhall said:
HEARTS v AEK Athens - CL Q-R3

my teams playing tonight in the biggest game in their history tonight :thumbsup: If we beat AEK over the 2 legs we will be in the Champions League for the first time in our history.

Cant wait, we beat Celtic on Sunday so have alot of confidence going into this one. Only thing is we are playing the home leg at Murrayfield instead of Tynecastle (to allow more fans in to see it). I know Arsenal did something silmilar at Wembley, and I hope it doesn't have the same effect. Something will be lost as Tynecastle is a bear pit for tightness and atmosphere, whereas Murrayfield is ALOT bigger, and the fans are alot further away from the pitch.

Words will not be able to describe how fantastic it would be if we made it. Sad, but couldn't sleep last night !!!!!!

Good luck to the Jambos
As much as it pains me (read other side of the city, or as you lot like to call us the wee team), I do hope you guys get some success, but not too much :D
I mean if you miss out on the group stages, thats 10m down and will mad vlad stay on and lose more cash? Oh and wasn't it switched to Murrayfield because Tynecastle does not meet UEFA stadium regs because there is not enough space between stands and pitch? Good luck, but not too much.
 

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Phil Hinton said:
As much as it pains me (read other side of the city, or as you lot like to call us the wee team), I do hope you guys get some success, but not too much :D
I mean if you miss out on the group stages, thats 10m down and will mad vlad stay on and lose more cash? Oh and wasn't it switched to Murrayfield because Tynecastle does not meet UEFA stadium regs because there is not enough space between stands and pitch? Good luck, but not too much.
chhers Phil. your right about the stadium regs, but we could have asked for special dispensation, which would have probably been given (as it has for other clubs). Problem is that IF we then qualified, the games for the Group stages would of had to go to Murrayfiled anyway, because there are very strict rules (media facilities / press / etc etc), so I reckon, it was decided that we may as well of started there from the off.

If we go out, as we will drop down to UEFA Cup as compensation, so at least a couple of trips out of it hopefully :thumbsup:

As for mad Vlad leaving, nah, wishful thinking from the Hibbies perhaps ?? :smashin:
he's said he's in it for the long haul. Plus, if he went Scottish Football would have nothing to talk about lol :rolleyes:
 

overkill

Well-known Member
featherhall said:
HEARTS v AEK Athens - CL Q-R3

my teams playing tonight in the biggest game in their history tonight :thumbsup: If we beat AEK over the 2 legs we will be in the Champions League for the first time in our history.

Cant wait, we beat Celtic on Sunday so have alot of confidence going into this one. Only thing is we are playing the home leg at Murrayfield instead of Tynecastle (to allow more fans in to see it). I know Arsenal did something silmilar at Wembley, and I hope it doesn't have the same effect. Something will be lost as Tynecastle is a bear pit for tightness and atmosphere, whereas Murrayfield is ALOT bigger, and the fans are alot further away from the pitch.

Words will not be able to describe how fantastic it would be if we made it. Sad, but couldn't sleep last night !!!!!!

Good luck to the Jambos
Surely some mistake here?:confused: The CL is only a watered down version of the European cup which Hearts have been in twice before - when being in it meant something. Nowadays with any tom, dick or harry, oh and the actual LC able to get into it, it means a darn sight less.

Unless you mean in recent history, and even then surely winning the Scottish cup has more meaning than getting into the flaming CL.:rolleyes:

Proportion dear boy, proportion...............

Oh, and good luck. Our lot won our meaningless fixture against Zagreb easily enough. Hope your lot can do the same.
 

featherhall

Distinguished Member
overkill said:
Surely some mistake here?:confused: The CL is only a watered down version of the European cup which Hearts have been in twice before - when being in it meant something. Nowadays with any tom, dick or harry, oh and the actual LC able to get into it, it means a darn sight less.

Unless you mean in recent history, and even then surely winning the Scottish cup has more meaning than getting into the flaming CL.:rolleyes:

Proportion dear boy, proportion...............

Oh, and good luck. Our lot won our meaningless fixture against Zagreb easily enough. Hope your lot can do the same.
ahh, point taken, I meant recent history (in my liftime) :smashin:
However, we arent as lucky as you guys in that we play in it every year, so from that point of view it is a huge game for us. Getting through will be massive for our club and will mean that we will make alot of money and be able to attract better players to our club.
Winning the Scottish Cup was great (of course) but the bigger picture my friend, the bigger picture.
cheers for the best wishes by the way :thumbsup:
 

dc007

Active Member
I sit next to a Jambo at work - he's as nervous as a kitten today !

Tough game - keep a clean sheet and you're virtually there, I think...

Best of luck !
 

lightningvictim

Novice Member
Yes good luck to the Jambos
Still not convinced that you won't end up bankrupt with no stadium a few years down the line when Vlads money laundering is all done but enjoy the good times while they last - hopefully you can break the Old Firm SPL domination this year as well but midweek games in the CL may just be too much for the squad this season
 

overkill

Well-known Member
lightningvictim said:
Yes good luck to the Jambos
Still not convinced that you won't end up bankrupt with no stadium a few years down the line when Vlads money laundering is all done but enjoy the good times while they last - hopefully you can break the Old Firm SPL domination this year as well but midweek games in the CL may just be too much for the squad this season
Ditto. We'll never see another 'Golden era' for the provincial clubs in Scottish football again like the fifties (Hibs & Hearts) or early 80's (Dons, Dundee Utd), but hopefully Hearts can break the worst ever grip the Old firm have had on the game in Scotland. And that is saying something.
 

featherhall

Distinguished Member
Phil Hinton said:
Well thats it then, good luck in the UEFA Cup.:oops:

LOL. well outclassed tonight I'm afraid. The loss of Brellier and Hartley before hand was too much, and then Acquiar getting sent off when we were 1-0 up (and under the cosh as well) was too much.
not over yet, but fear your right. UEFA Cup here we come.
still, walk before we can run and all that :smashin:
 

Similar threads

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Samsung HW-Q950T Soundbar Review, Filmmaker Mode, Disney+ $30 for Mulan, AV news and more
Top Bottom