Heart just stopped transporting a plasma

johnny777

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a Panny TH-42PX80BA. Had it in the car upright, and there was a TV stand box lying flat next to it. As I went around a roundabout, the plasma gently lent over and ended up flat. Have quickly checked it all out, and all appears to be working fine.

Am I right that it would be obvious if any damage had been caused?

TIA.

It's a write off, I'll kindly dispose of it for you :smashin:

Hey lads, enough of the dramatics or I'll dispose you both! :rotfl:

I can't quite get my head around this.

I know we're told to keep plasmas upright, but when I got my Future Automation wall mount, the instructions tell you to lay your plasma flat to do the rear fixings.

I asked around some dealers and the consensus seemed to be that laying flat doesn't harm the plasma in itself, but - it does make them a lot more vulnerable to physical damage.

I'd be very interested to hear any other opinions though.

If you lay them flat it puts stress on the screen that is how you can damage them.

apparently its down to the glass flexing when its flat. Its ok when stationary, but when you armoving in a car, it can oscillate and crack. This has less effect when upright as gravity is pulling on it differently.

HTH

Alun

apparently its down to the glass flexing when its flat. Its ok when stationary, but when you armoving in a car, it can oscillate and crack. This has less effect when upright as gravity is pulling on it differently.

HTH

Alun

this is quite true.

however whilst working for comet home delivery, some TVs were loaded flat, and never really had any problems with em, even whilst driving around very bumpy roads in hereford and wales. would'nt want to take the chance with my own tv though, but as long as theres no obvious phisical damage then it should be fine.

It's probably destroyed the greyscale calibration menu on it

:devil:

Called into my local Currys last night to get a phone charger and then dandered down to have a look at the lcd / plasma screens.Was shocked to see seven plasma screens stacked on top of each other:eek:, clearly marked this way up only.:eek:No way will i purchase from there.

HTH

Alun
How do glaziers transport their glass panes. How do they carry the glass. Upright.

How do glaziers transport their glass panes. How do they carry the glass. Upright.

Very true, never thought of it like that before

I would think that lots of shops store and sent plasmas out for delivery while laying flat.

I would think that lots of shops store and sent plasmas out for delivery while laying flat.

Me too, I guess they take the view that as long as there's no visual damage no problem. On another thread it was said the glass is more vulnerable to damage when flat.

BTW worked at a catalogue company once and you should have seen how the peoples orders were treated, they just came rolling down the conveyor belt - even quite expensive stuff and often thrown, I heard staff saying how you would be really careful opening stuff when it arrived unaware that it had been thrown about. I guess they just take the view that its covered by insurance if there is any damage.

Rgs

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom