Hearing where down-firing subwoofers are located - plinth advice

• Thread starter Deleted member 901590
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 901590

I have had quite a lot of pish-take for saying this but I don't care as I want to help people.

I have down-firing subwoofers. Recently, I have placed them on top of granite plinths. This is a posh description, they are granite kitchen worktop savers 450mmx300mmx25mm.

I am in the middle of moving the room around, so in a temporary setup the subwoofer are both in front right and rear right corners, with the MLP centre-back wall and front speakers on the front wall.

With the crossovers set at 80Hz for the front speakers, the difference in being able to hear the location of the sound coming from the subwoofers with or without the plinths there is "night and day". To be honest, I believe with the plinths there that if I listened blindfold without knowing the setup, I would genuinely think the front speakers were full frequency.

So, to all of you out there with down-firing subwoofers on a carpet, I would recommend you try this very cheap method of improving things. If you try it out, or have already tried it out, please share thoughts. Equally, if you think I'm talking rubbish then I'm up for a slating too 🤣

steve sph

Distinguished Member
Whatever works for you in your listening environment is the correct answer - there's no 'one-size-fits-all' in A/V.
And if a plinth works for you, then it's job done.
I now have forward firing subs, but when I had downfirers I found that BK superspikes improved the sound, (although they aren't exactly cheap).
Part of the fun of this hobby/obsession/compulsive behaviour disorder is tinkering around, and there's no better feeling than a noticeable improvement that costs next to nothing.

Last edited:

DavidT

I have a downward firing BK XLS200 which has been sitting on carpet ever since I bought it some 6 years ago. I often wondered if the carpet somehow affected the effectiveness of the bass. I might try sitting the sub on a plinth and see what the difference is, if any.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 901590

I have a downward firing BK XLS200 which has been sitting on carpet ever since I bought it some 6 years ago. I often wondered if the carpet somehow affected the effectiveness of the bass. I might try sitting the sub on a plinth and see what the difference is, if any.
And run eq again afterwards :)

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom