Hearing loss after gig.

bouncer

Prominent Member
Reaction score
So I was at a gig with the GF on sunday night, And we are still waiting on our hearing to return to an acceptable level, I suffer from deafness anyway, but this is much worse than before, and im starting to get worried. Any advice or suggestions?

Don't think this thread will get far...but go and see a Doctor.

I have an appointment next monday, But was wondering thought if give here a bash for advice

Don't think this thread will get far...but go and see a Doctor.

Normally not :) But as he is booked in with a Doc I think we can let it run for a bit.

Can't think of anything for this episode, but for future gigs you really need to protect your ears in order to reduce the risk of permanrnt hearing loss

You should if worried make an appointment to see your GP as you already have problems related to your hearing as you have done.

HSE do a good site which goes into noise and for those who work in any environment which does involve noise you may find the link of interest.

Audio/visual demonstration of noise induced hearing loss

I know I shouldnt be asking for medical advice on here, But I thought an AV community, Some of your might like loud music. What doesnt help is we were right at the front, and the speakers must have been 20/25 feet away.

Do you have tinnitus at all or just loss of hearing? I've had tinnitus for as long as I can remember now, thankfully I've got habituated to it to a certain extent but I still have to wear earplugs when I go to anything that's potentially got loud music, even my wifes graduation ceremony due to the orchestra :( Hope your hearing gets better but people really do need to be careful at concerts, there are earplugs that reduce the noise level but still let the full range of sounds through so you don't have to sacrifice clarity to protect your hearing, trust me tinntitus is not nice!

All the best

I've had ringing in the ears for a few days after some gigs - and I almost completely lost the hearing in one ear for about 4 days after an unfortunate incident with a firework when I was kid - but it did come back.

However, after a medical a some years ago, part of which was a full hearing test in a sound booth, I was told that I have permanently damaged the hearing in my left ear.

Didn't seem to matter at the the time, but now, which I am guessing is linked - I suffer from constant tinnitus, which isn't much fun.

As a kid, I somehow scarred my right ear drum, So all though my life ive had full hearing tests and so my right ear is "borderline" my left ear was always my "good ear" but ive always had random spouts of "ringing" which I believe to be Tinnitus, About a year ago, my good ear suddenly stopped working correct and I could only hear myself in my head, You know if you stuck your fingers in your ears, Currently, it is like that, Only I can still hear myself with my ears, but only just.

Theres some background info for ya. :lesson:

This gig was more in club, Surely, they should know if people stand there. We will damage there hearing. No?

I read somewhere that any tinitus after being exposed to high volume noises indicates a long term damaging effect on your ears. This may include loss of higher frequency hearing.

If you're going to stand 20 foot away from the speakers, you might want to wear a pair of ear plugs in future :eek:

I go to a lot trance/house/progressive nights and always wear these.

I lost the hearing in my right ear for 18 hours after one night out, and now i never forget them. I know it is not a solution, but may be helpful for future events. Best thing about them is they dont block out peoples voices, it just dampens the high pitched sounds that do the damage.

Last edited:
I read somewhere that any tinitus after being exposed to high volume noises indicates a long term damaging effect on your ears. This may include loss of higher frequency hearing.

Indeed, ringing in your ears is a result of permanent damage to your hearing.

I believe that you normally start to lose the ability to hear higher frequencies and it gradually gets worse if you keep listening to loud noises or simply get older!

I never go out to things like this, And will gladly avoid it in the futher, Sadly my girlfriend is a little short arse, and made her way to the front.

Picture attached.

Attachments

• DEAFNESS.jpg
    DEAFNESS.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 216
i've found it quite interesting that where i've been sitting in a silent house day after day, my hearing has improved quite a bit. When i was going to work on the bus, wearing my walkman, then spending the day in a noisy office, i found that i needed to put my AV receiver on -15 or -10 decibels for comfortable listening, but lately it's fine on -25 or -20

It got to the point where my pc started sounding really loud so i spent a few hundred quid quietening it down :laugh:

So I was at a gig with the GF on sunday night, And we are still waiting on our hearing to return to an acceptable level, I suffer from deafness anyway, but this is much worse than before, and im starting to get worried. Any advice or suggestions?

enjoy it whilst it lasts.... :smashin:

Normally not :) But as he is booked in with a Doc I think we can let it run for a bit.

What if someone recommends something in the meantime which has a negative effect?

Should return in a couple of days.

Always wear filtered earplugs if your near the front. Tinnitus is very annoying.

There's loud and then there's uncomfortable. You found the latter.:)
I like loud, but not THAT loud.

Volume covers up a lack of ability.
Really no need for it, but plenty do it.
I've seen pub bands with PA systems that would do music halls.
Then you go see a decent band and the volume's replaced by quality.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Volume covers up a lack of ability.
Really no need for it, but plenty do it.
I've seen pub bands with PA systems that would do music halls.
Then you go see a decent band and the volume's replaced by quality.:thumbsup:

There was a bar in Newcastle that did live gigs and it was painful (i.e. too loud) to listen to.

So painful I had to stick bog roll in my ears. Good music, just too damn loud.

I've been spoiled by SACD and DVD-AUDIO music in my home.:)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom