1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

heard someone demoing av my thoughts

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mick23, Apr 7, 2003.

1. mick23

mick23
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    was in local dealers today buying someb/plugs,whilst there someone demoed some av gear,
    could not say for sure exact kit being demoed but was either avr200 or pioneer 2011 as both avs displays were lit, there was a bank of speakers either side of shop, so although not certain i think bw cdm7nts or possibly kef floorstanders, for fronts and possible mission dipoles for rears/surrounds.

so whilst browsing gear and really trying to listen to other guys demo.

first up gladiator in dts, this was played at mega volume ,far to loud for most peoples rooms or ears i would guess,

so in the back of my mind i am thinking if it were myself demoing av kit with "hindsight" i might want to try in 2 channel sterio,compare a range of amp speaker combos,etc,

just wondered if forum members had heard other people demoing kit, and what there thought were in this respect,

2. pstables

pstables
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought a Pioneer 2011 on saturday from SuperFi in Manchester and didn't bother with the multi channel setup. I Listened in stereo mode with the stereo speakers I was thinking of buying.

Stereo is much more revealing than multi-channel mode IMHO

Paul

3. yant

yant

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Maybe it's because I am not such a big home cinema expert but when I first started looking for a setup, I heard systems from two totally different price range (<£400 and £800 amps) in the same day at two shops. This included two £300-400 amps at the same time in the same shop with the same speakers. I couldn't see much difference in AV (SW pod-racing sequence was what the salesman was using). In stereo, the difference was night and day.

I must admit however that this is my first AV. Maybe it is different if you are really into AV and have a movie scene you know very well. As for me, I would mostly listen to 5-10 minutes in AV and 30-50 minutes in Stereo with my own CD selection. When I was comparing speakers, I would hardly bother with AV.

Yan

4. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you spend a lot of time listening to surround sound then it becomes much easier to differentiate between the multichannel abilities of various products.
    But most of the kit that many of us will have spent any time with is 2 channel, so differences will be more apparent in stereo. It's not a lack of difference (from bitter experience it's there) but a lack of experience.
    Sorry if this is in no way helpful.:blush: