Heap of junk Arcam DV88........

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by keoma, Apr 7, 2001.

Tags:
  1. keoma

keoma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Bought one yesterday to replace a Pioneer 626
    and go with the Arcam AVR100 receiver but
    only got around to setting it up late this afternoon.
    I'd wanted one for a while and was expecting it to be the icing on the cake of my set-up
    but man am I p***ed off.
    I've attempted playing 3 discs but with all
    of them the machine intermitantly pauses. On
    the last disc I tried I had the audacity to try to change the audio output from 2 ch.
    to 6 ch. while it was playing and the thing
    went ballistic whirring, clunking and clicking. That was the last straw and I've boxed it up ready to return to the shop.
    For this to be the case straight out of the box doesn't say much for Arcam's quality
    control and if my dealer hasn't got a replacement in stock I'll be asking for my
    money back. I've no intention waiting weeks
    for it to get fixed.
    I work for Toshiba and could have got the
    SD 900 cheaper. If I don't get an immediate
    replacement maybe I will.
    As a sidenote it played the only CD I tried
    OK but was nothing special. It was never going to replace my Musical Fidelity X-Ray.
    I know people will spring to it's defence but it doesn't alter the fact that mine is
    rubbish !.

2. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    May I be the first one to defend it?

Try a replacment machine before you write it off.

We have sold 20+, and had 3 demo machines at work and had no returns or problems yet.

You must beleive in the force!

Rick

3. Radioactive__Man

Radioactive__Man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    Naw, leave the boy alone !, I like him, 1st post and he blows the Arcam into the weeds.

I am in the market for a high end player and want to hear the good and the bad, I've seen a few posts from unhappy buyers of the Arcam, admittedly over niggly stuff, but for this kind of money who can blame them?

4. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,808
    Well, we've sold considerably more than most and we've had two fail straight out the box. Customers got units next day or that day.

Perhaps the dealer ought to check the thing before he hands it over this time.....

You are quite right to feel miffed though. I'm sure Arcam are as disappointed as you. Knowing that other users have working units doesn't alter the fact you don't!

As for lousy playback of CD's wait till you hear a unit that is functioning correctly. This one is obviously knackered so can't be considered representative on any discs.

Hope you get a player of some sort that works soon.

Gordon

5. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Dear Keoma,

I am very sorry to hear there has been a problem with your new DVD player - it is very frustrating when that happens.

For the record, every Arcam unit is very comprehensively checked on a powerful test suite just before final packing and of course won't be shipped unless it 100% passes.

Having said that sometimes units get damaged in transit and if that happens it is usually the drive that fails. It sounds like that is what has happened here.

We would be more than happy to replace the whole player under such circumstances. Please go through your dealer to arrange this and ensure he lets us know of your problem - this will enable your dealer to get the fastest possible response from us. Note I am out of the office next week so cannot easily follow this up in person, however I am fairly sure we are doing a big production run during the week so I am confident you will get a new unit in time for the holiday weekend.

Who is your dealer BTW?

Sincerely,

John Dawson (Arcam)

6. keoma

keoma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for taking a personal interest John.
    I'll be sure to mention what you said when I
    take it back to Sevenoaks in Plymouth after
    work tomorrow.

7. icequake2002

icequake2002

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John Dawson please could you tell us if you are going to sort the nigley problems with the software on the arcam DV-88 with the new 1.7 software disc that is suppose to be coming out.

8. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi - I don't have the precise list of upcoming fixes and upgrades in front of me (it is at work) but most of the issues people have commented on in this NG and elsewhere will be sorted with the next release.

There are two parts to this release - a firmware upgrade for the drive (called LO14)and v1.7x for the dvd control software. These are on two (necessarily separate) CD ROMs. The drive firmware fixes the occasional audio dropouts some have experienced and is already in recent production units. The player software has been undergoing extended testing to ensure nothing unexpected turns up and, all being well, will be released in the next few days. For units already in the field we naturally want to supply these together to avoid duplication of effort by us, our dealers or end users.

Please contact support@arcam.co.uk for information on how to have these upgrades carried out.

When everthing is completely finalised I will publish the details on this NG.

HTH.

John Dawson (Arcam)

9. Russ

Russ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I would like to be one of the first to thank John Dawson on behalf of this Bulletin Board for the open and frank (brave !) contribution - particularly this last post, explaining the two updates we need to get !

This, for me is most important, because although the 'unofficial FAQ' is extreemly useful, it can be unsettling since OS and drive versions/fixes etc in the FAQ appear to be conjecture (was OS 1.6 a production release, widely available ?). We now have an official view. However, the FAQ is very valuable and my comment is not a knock.

I received my DV88 last week as a 'factory fresh' unit - but it was shipped with OS 1.3 and Drive LO08. This did disappoint me - have I been shipped old stock since the line is building with OS 1.4 !

So far it outputs great video and audio, and with the code 13 'hack' operates transparently with R1, R1 RCE and R2 disks, retaining the video output format I require (RGB Scart at all times).
    I have not had sound drop-outs with Xmen and T2 SE (R1 - DTS), but I use a Sony 930 amp at the moment.
    Nor does the unit miss the first second of a CD, and DIDO, (grey) plays OK.

My only niggles, are not being able to stop the device on menus and a really noticable layer change - up to one second on 'The Fifth Element'. I do hope that the drive firmware update solves this one because this is the same as my old Wharfedale 750s !.

I think it is a shame that the remote is a bit difficult to use in the twilight of my lounge, pity really, because the tooling for the remote must have cost a packet !
    But since I have a Pronto, I will limit my comments to PLEASE ADD DESCRETE On - Off Codes !!

The DV88 is a stylish and solid product that delivers the video and sound we want - which is why we were prepared to pay this much. Personally, the fact that there is real support from Arcam was a major factor in my decision to purchase the product. Try getting this level of response from Pioneer, Sony, Toshiba - and then add the 'chip' you need to get multi - region playback.

I am sure that once this upgrade or the following OS release (with descrete codes !!) is installed, most problems will be solved until the next 'pushing the envelope' DVDs are released !

Now to choose a new Amp - and to consider the Arcam AVR100 with limited Bass management - but that is another discussion !
    Regards

10. keoma

keoma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I took the dodgy player back to Sevenoaks in
    Plymouth today and got a replacement but I
    wish I had waited for one of this weeks
    presumably updated production run.
    When I unpacked it I noticed the serial number was considerably lower than the one I
    returned - DV88V02357 compared to DV88V03331.
    I've no idea what firmware version the 3331
    was but my "new" 2357 is 1.3.
    The reason I wished I'd waited is that the first disc I tried wont play. The menu loads
    but when I press play it just goes back to the start. Pressing stop just moves the cursor down the menu.
    Other discs I tried were OK but this isn't
    good enough. How many of my discs are going to be affected. As far as I am concerned one
    is too many.
    I really don't need this grief on something
    that has cost me the best part of a months
    wages !!.

11. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Hi Matt, DF - we are considering posting the DVD binaries on our web site; however if you don't burn it and load it exactly correctly there is then scope for dead metal instead of an updated DVD player. No doubt the present company on this NG might manage this OK but there will be those who won't and we then have to pick up the pieces :-(

Keoma - two points, firstly the build standard of the hardware in your two DVD players is AFAIK identical, so no worries there. The software/firmware upgrades will then bring them up to this week's build standard, so please bear with us. Secondly, what is the title of the disc with which you had a problem? Without this info it's impossible to comment.

BTW I'm not in the office till later in the week, so can't add much more till then.

John Dawson (Arcam)

12. Matt Horne

Matt Horne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +119
    I would also like to add my thanks for the comments from Arcam...

Looking forward to having a problem free player..

One suggestion would be to have a updates page somewhere on the Arcam site to keep us in the picture.. my dealer knows nothing of whats been going on and their latest firmware disc is 1.2!

Cheers

Matt

13. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any possibility that we'll be able to download the firmware update files from the Arcam web site and burn our own CD-R's to flash the machine ? I'm not too far away from an Arcam dealer, but I've never bought anything from them ! The dealer I purchased from is nearly an hour away...

Sounds like I've been lucky getting a DV-88 with firmware 1.6. It still has the playability issues though. The 'hand' icon appears in a lot of cases when it shouldn't. And why doesn't the menu button work while watching a film ? Having to stop the disc first seems really silly. I also found that resume play doesn't work on VCD's which is very frustrating (film starts from beginning again when you've pressed stop).

But despite the odd niggle I'm still "addicted" after three weeks - I can't stop feeding CD's/DVD's into the machine just to see what they look/sound like !!

DF

14. keoma

keoma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The problem disc was The Rock (Criterion). I
    tried Criterion's Armageddon next and that was fine. Have to say that the picture quality was damn good.

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    John,

Thanks for your reply re flashing my DV-88 myself. I can understand your worries about making the files available for download. There's quite a few people out there with dead Philips Pronto remotes because they flashed the wrong version of the firmware into them !

Anyway I still need some rear speakers for my AVR-100 so could get the DV-88 updated when I buy them :). Any excuse !

DF

16. WILDCAT

WILDCAT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    THE Rock is ok on mine man!..

I think you should give Arcam a chance and stop moaning, I dont know of any other manufacturer to do so much.

The support person I talked to knew his stuff and even the boss helps..wow!

Where else on earth...........!

A DV88 Fan. :p

17. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    I am borrowing a DV88 for the coming week, latest firmware, and software, v1.6.

It works fine so far, quieter than my Denon DVD 2000, way better pciture, and no sound problems.

Played Titan AE.

Rick

18. Silversurfer

Silversurfer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Up to now I have tried 5 DV88s only one has not had the drop out problem and that one is my dealers dem model,which I am keeping until Arcam sort the problem out,the amp I am using is the Denon 3800. :confused:

19. Black 5

Black 5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Wildcat,

Where else on earth? Tag McLaren Audio, where BTW and thanks to the architecture of their products you can download latest software versions from their website (with more discrete codes than you can shake a stick at) and where they incorporate users' ideas into future upgrades :cool: Hell, it's even possible to become involved in their beta testing if you have the time.

Their discussion forum is a mine of information to which their CEO makes contributions daily, so I can see where Arcam got the idea from.

20. John Dawson

John Dawson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +112
    Actually I and my colleagues at Arcam have been publicly contributing to newsgroups since before TAG was in existence. So more the other way round really :)

We also take in customers ideas and put them into products too and involve some in beta testing. Have been doing this for more than 25 years now I come to think of it.....

BTW if you have constructive suggestions ref Arcam please mail them to me or to support@arcam.co.uk

John Dawson (Arcam)