1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Health question about in-ear earphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by blitter, Jul 24, 2005.

1. blitter

blitter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi people,
    I'm looking for a good pair of noise cancelling (more or less) in-ear hearphones for my new Sony HD5. I have heard from some people that using in-ear earphones over a long period of time is not too wealthy because it can damage the ear internals. I don't know it this is really true, but I usually use the device with earphones over long periods of time daily (about 5-8 hours).

Does anyone knows if this is true?
    Thanks.

2. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    I was having increasing problems with ear irritation, especially with the 'triple-flange' tips. There is also the issue of general hygiene, especially when commuting and you're removing the phones often. I liked the Shure E5c for this as with the black rubber tips, you could just slide them temporarily out of the ear, leave it hooked on the ear and jam it back again.

I'm back to phones now. I can throw them in my bag without worrying where the buds will go and I don't get in ear irritation. I keep a couple of Etys/Shures still for flying only (the only time where in-earphones definitely prove their worth to me). However I will be ordering a custom-moulded phone (The Ultimate Ears UE-10) as I'm curious. For one reason or another, I expect this to be the last in-ear phone I buy.

3. pjskel

pjskel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    The inner-earphones are in no way unhealthy, unless you share them with others. Not cleaning your ears out only looks gross, nothing more.
    The foam/silicon tips can not damage the ear canal and you can't push them in any further than they were designed. Only using a longer tip (if provided) may possibly be uncomfortable.
    Other than that, providing you keep the volume down, prolonged use of the inner-earphones won't do you a button of harm, and will provide a much better bass response due to less background intrusion. Similarly, less leakage means those around you won't be 'annoyed' at having to endure the tizz emanating from typical earphones/earbuds.

4. blitter

blitter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK. You have convinced me :) I'll buy a pair of in-ear phones.
    Thank you all.