Headsets with microphones

Paragon

Established Member
Reaction score
What do you use and are you happy with it? Like many people I can't have a big 5.1 setup or have it loud late at night so ideally need headphones with a mic that are suited to Xbox Live. I've heard good things about the Tritton AX360. I'm not totally convinced that 5.1 is better for telling which direction things come from but let me know your experiences.

At the moment i use the wireless pad with the chatpad add-on. Thats comes with a similar headset as standard just i different connection. But im going to be getting the wireless headset as i found out (thanks for this forum) i can use the wireless headset with the chatpad :thumbsup:

I got a pair of AX360s for christmas and they are great. Pricey, and perhaps not perfect, but a very good bit of kit.

OK, it can be hard to get the spatial separation you may get from a big proper 5.1 system, but it certainly makes a decent effort and you can tell the difference between in front of you and behind.

The bass is amplified by using a rumble effect which is actually surprisingly effective (and adjustable). Finally, you get a mic with it that plugs into your controller which works well, and I can hear the voice from other people just fine through the headphones.

A solid 8/10 for me (actually maybe a 9) and well worth it, especially if a full fat 5.1 set-up is a no-go.

Hey monkey boy,

Just had a lookat those. Very impressive. Thats one thing i have never looked into and just use the xbox ones. How much they set you back? Are they hard to set up?

I currently have a Creative 5.1 amp thingy here (ain't great but it's OK for what I use it for) so it'd be going through that. Unfortunately my 360 goes to my TFT through VGA, so only has L/R audio outputs. Presumably this means I can only do PL II instead of Dolby Digital... would this affect the AX360 much? Have you tried it on PL II instead of Digital/DTS?

Hey monkey boy,

Just had a lookat those. Very impressive. Thats one thing i have never looked into and just use the xbox ones. How much they set you back? Are they hard to set up?
They are dead easy to use (£84 delivered I think) and set up, I didn't really have to adjust them much at all. I have an optical out on my amp that I use which is dead handy, so I don't have to keep swapping the optical cable between my 5.1 (datime) and the AX360s (late night).

I currently have a Creative 5.1 amp thingy here (ain't great but it's OK for what I use it for) so it'd be going through that. Unfortunately my 360 goes to my TFT through VGA, so only has L/R audio outputs. Presumably this means I can only do PL II instead of Dolby Digital... would this affect the AX360 much? Have you tried it on PL II instead of Digital/DTS?
You can use the optical out on the VGA to plug right into the AX360s (you even get the optical cable included with the headphones), it has a built in decoder to do DD 5.1 so you're good to go :smashin:

I have these headphones aswell and they are a soilid buy for anybody wanting 5.1 headphones with mic support. You just need to take note that the voice comes in on the center speaker, A soilid 9 out of 10 for me!

I might have to looking into it my self. At the moment i use have the speakers on my samsung hd tv. My pc has a JBL Sub. I like my games loud. Only if babys now asleep then i have to turn it down ha. Thats life

I have just bought a pair of SteelSeries Siberia Neckband from play for £59.99 http://www.play.com/PC/PCs/4-/3593396/SteelSeries-Siberia-Neckband-Headset-White/Product.html

They're just like normal gaming headphones with a mic for the PC but they come with an adaptor that you plug into the bottom of the 360 controller in order to use the mic, which works as good as the usual 360 ones.

I've only had them a few days but so far I’m really impressed by them, for gaming and music. In games you can hear the direction from which the enemy is coming from in COD4, and also are good for creating an atmosphere from the ambient sounds, they have just the right amount of bass for the explosions and do not drown out all other sounds. For music I was equally impressed if not more just because I did not expect them to be too great as they are gaming headphones, but they are just as good for this, and the retractable mic that disappears into the left cup means you can use them with your MP3 player and not be walking around with a mic sticking out.

I was sceptical about ordering them because of the 'neckband' design and whether they would be as comfortable as the usual design of headphones, but I ordered them anyway because of their compatibility with Xbox Live. But I'm glad i did as they do not hang on your ears and are 'clamped' onto your head with the pressure created by the neckband, but they are ust as comfortable after a few hours of wear as when you put them on.

So overall I'm very impressed, I know they're may be better headphones out there for this price, but the compatibility with Xbox Live, they're great for gaming being and able to use them as a normal pair of headphones is fantastic! :thumbsup:

I like the look of those. I didnt know until i joined this forum you could get gaming headphones for the 360 other than the xbox 360 official ones. They are also very good price. How do the fit into the pad. Still might have to get the wireless ones as i use the chatpad. But if aftermarket headphones are as good as people say i will only put the chatpad on when needed.

I have done some reading on-line and there are alot of reviews that say although sound is really good. When using when with xbox its hard to her chat as both sounds come out of a centre speakers so the chat is often drowned out.

I like the look of those. I didnt know until i joined this forum you could get gaming headphones for the 360 other than the xbox 360 official ones. They are also very good price. How do the fit into the pad. Still might have to get the wireless ones as i use the chatpad. But if aftermarket headphones are as good as people say i will only put the chatpad on when needed.

they just connect into the pad the same as the with wired headset:
6208-IMG0201s.jpg

Theres also a good review of them here: Linky

They do look very good indeed. Have you had any problems hearing chat while on-live with these headphones and mic?

Thanks for the info. Im going to have a look into them for sure. How long did it take you to get them after placing your order?

They are dead easy to use (£84 delivered I think) and set up, I didn't really have to adjust them much at all.

Where did you order them from? I've fought off the urge to not buy anything in the sales so need to blow some cash on something! Have you watched any movies using them?

You're lucky that your amp has an optical out - it will be a pain having to swap cables over.

Im very tempted. So does it now effect sound from your tv? Or do you hear both mate?

Im very tempted. So does it now effect sound from your tv? Or do you hear both mate?

If you mean other peoples voices on Live, you just set it on the Xbox how you do normally for your headset, whether you have it coming through the tv, headset or both.

Or if you mean, the game sound and the voice you just hear them together through the headphones. hope that helps?

Thats a great help. Thanks mate. Feel free to add me. This have given me someting else to consider. :thumbsup:

I'm not totally convinced that 5.1 is better for telling which direction things come from but let me know your experiences.
Having a 5.1 set up is a huge bonus for something like COD 4.
A lot of my kills have been purely because I could hear the footsteps of the opposing team member and thanks to my set up could tell exactly where they were.

--

Where did you order them from? I've fought off the urge to not buy anything in the sales so need to blow some cash on something! Have you watched any movies using them?

You're lucky that your amp has an optical out - it will be a pain having to swap cables over.
http://www.cooleststuff.co.uk/

Not watched a movie with them yet, but I have to say I'm still very impressed with them and have no reason to think they wouldn't be excellent for that too. Had a great moment last night on Halo 3 hearing a rocket launcher whizz behind me left to right, I could locate the area it was shot from just by sound, so I span and shot before he could reload. Really adds to the experience :smashin:

Both sets look really good and im def gonna get some just have to decide which ones to go for.:confused:

Thanks for the info. I have ordered the same ones you have skipopo2mus. Can wait. :thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom