Headset - do i need a gaming specific set ?

themoid

Hi all

I've recently started using some headphones I have (my music listening ones) with my PS5 so as not to be disturbing the rest of the house.

My headphones are good quality for music, but would I benefit from a gaming specific headset ?

I don't need a mic, but would like a good set to take advantage of the PS5 3d sound dynamics, and wireless preferably.

Looking for any thoughts or guidance from people on this,

Cheers
Stu

simonblue

Distinguished Member
I just use an hi-fi set of headphone for later at night playing, like you i don't need a mic,i find them great,but if you wanted to used the full atmos setup for gaming their are some gaming headphones that might give you that,and some others that do the same as well,but for me stereo fine with gaming.

:)

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
More info in this thread:

But I’d say that as you don’t need a mic, get yourself a nice pair of non-gaming headphones that plug into the controller and pay less.

Tempest/3D audio works with all headphones and if you get headphones with a detachable cable (like the Fidelio X2HR’s) then you can always buy a ModMic later on if you decided you want a mic.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
If you just use them plugged into the dualsense you don't need gaming headphones, you're probably better off with the ones you have for SQ

themoid

Cheers chaps. Actually expanding my thinking now to using the headset for late-night TV as well as gaming with the PS5. Not sure that makes the decision easier lol.

@ozzzy189 I've seen your quest for a new set, have you gone for anything yet ?

Ftorek

I have Hyper X Cloud - 'gaming' dedicated headphones with detachable mic and little dongle that connects through USB so you can get the virtual 7.1... they're good and comfy - nothing to complain about the sound... however - i find that the 7.1 sound is actually not as good as plain old stereo (through jack) - playing a lot of fps so sound location can be quite important....

So these days i usually play using my Meze 99 Classic's and use my HyperX for guitar playing :D

And the moral of this story is (at least from my perspective) - use whatever sounds good and is comfortable :D

Cheers
f.

themoid

I have Hyper X Cloud - 'gaming' dedicated headphones with detachable mic and little dongle that connects through USB so you can get the virtual 7.1... they're good and comfy - nothing to complain about the sound... however - i find that the 7.1 sound is actually not as good as plain old stereo (through jack) - playing a lot of fps so sound location can be quite important....

So these days i usually play using my Meze 99 Classic's and use my HyperX for guitar playing :D

And the moral of this story is (at least from my perspective) - use whatever sounds good and is comfortable :D

Cheers
f.
Well that's interesting as i have a pair of the Meze for my music listening.

Ftorek

:) i love them myself

Sooo from my experience - the sound quality does translate almost directly from music listening to gaming (not sure about TV watching, ie. speech...) - which is too say - Mezes are much better at separation, a bit less bassy and less noisy... and that's how it sound in games....

Anyhow - try them out and see.... - the only thing is that they ain't wireless... not sure if PS controller has audio out? (Dualshock 4 which i have does indeed)

Cheers
f.

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
Cheers chaps. Actually expanding my thinking now to using the headset for late-night TV as well as gaming with the PS5. Not sure that makes the decision easier lol.

@ozzzy189 I've seen your quest for a new set, have you gone for anything yet ?
No mate, fancy the beyers but they're dear and I can't use them with my phones, unless there's an adaptor for USB c to 3.5 Jack?

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic LZ2000, LZ1500 & LZ980 Hands-on Launch Event | No QD-OLED for 2022, new 77-inch for LZ2000
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom