Heads Up: Power Cleaner - Surge Protector

Prometheus

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Just taken delivery of this unit, and i'm really impressed with it for the money, so I thought that I'd share with everyone.

I did a bit of research and this seemed the best specs I could find. Could someone please tell me what advantage there could possibly be to spending £200.00 on a chord clearway, Isol8 or similar kimber products? as I couldn't see any specs against their products. I paid £60.00 delivered for this and it comes with some gold plated connection cables, although they do look a bit cheap.

Techie stuff for this protector:

1.) continuous duty electrical rating = 250V/13A/50Hz/3250W
2.) Maximum Energy Dissipation = 4476 joules
3.) Maximum Spike Current = 123,000A
4.) Response Time = <1 Nanosecond
5.) EMI/RFI Noise Filtration = Greater than 80db at 1MHz

It also has a Lifetime warranty on the unit itself, and unlimited connected equipment guarantee, so they will replace any equipment regardless of cost if it is damaged by power surge or lightning strike whilst connected to this unit!!! :smashin: . Can't say fairer than that. :cool:

REF: Belkin PureAV Isolator (F9G823UK3M)

Attachments

• unit.jpg
    unit.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 1,264
  • lights.jpg
    lights.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 578
  • gold_con.jpg
    gold_con.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 594
  • info.jpg
    info.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,105
  • pack.jpg
    pack.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 791
I've got one of these, and remain pretty impressed with it - I use it for AV, but use a RA purifier block for two-channel. Haven't yet done a head-to-head as I'm having a hi-fi upheaval this month.

Certainly the build quality of the belkin is first class - I seriously doubt there is a better mains filter / surge protector for the money.

funnily enough i got one yesterday and there has been a definite improvement in sound quality :smashin:

i had previously been using the QED mini plug system for neatness and convenience but a wise soul told me to 'clean up my act' :D and that the larger surface area of proper plugs would also give improved conductivity etc

i was also warned not to buy cheapo plugs and to get MK's which i did

it's a great product and the build quality is impressive - i suppose the only way they can get it down to this price is because its made in china - if it had a made in uk badge it would probably retail at £150+

one thing that the instructions do not really make clear is which sockets to use for which item of equipment

i have:

viera plasma

rel storm sub

yamaha 750se amp

harman kardon dvd

what sockets for what gear would anyone suggest???

thanks

Where did you get it from? I have been thinking about one of these over the last couple of weeks.

Thanks
Fish

got mine from www.ebuyer.com

quickfind reference no 57866

£50.55 inc vat + carriage

they are in stock and available for immediate dispatch

they were very efficient and i paid a bit more for next day delivery

hope this helps

Where does it say it's a filter rather than just a surge protector?

I have misgivings regarding this sort of device because at the heart of it is a component called a VDR (voltage dependent resistor) which often self-destructs when a sizeable spike occurs. Many better quality blocks have an indicator to show when this has happened. Does the Belkin do this ?

If it doesn't, you will have the equivalent of a B&Q £2.99 dist. block after the first spike has hit.

Nick_UK said:
I have misgivings regarding this sort of device because at the heart of it is a component called a VDR (voltage dependent resistor) which often self-destructs when a sizeable spike occurs. Many better quality blocks have an indicator to show when this has happened. Does the Belkin do this ?

If it doesn't, you will have the equivalent of a B&Q £2.99 dist. block after the first spike has hit.

i don't know all the technical gubbins but i will quote from the literature supplied with the unit

Amber light 'PROTECTION' this light should be on when the power switch is turned on . If the light goes out at any time, your surge protector has sacrificed itself to protect your equipment and should be replaced. Please contact BELIKn Components for a free replacement surge protector.

seems fairly simple to me - the lifetime warranty is worth having imo

the other posters query about the filtering is too long to quote - but basically it has 4 levels of filtration 1/2/3/4 if you read the full spec on the links horneydragon has kindly provided all will be revealed

hope this helps

samjet said:
Amber light 'PROTECTION' this light should be on when the power switch is turned on . If the light goes out at any time, your surge protector has sacrificed itself to protect your equipment and should be replaced. Please contact BELIKn Components for a free replacement surge protector.
Seems to SUM it up nicely It ides to save your kit and you get a new one FOC!

I'm quite fancying one of these myself - with the added advantage of lighting up the 'rack' of hardware.

Mike.

Flimber:
It does look nice especially if you have a rack mount, does it protect the individual devices from each other? This is one of the main advantages of this particular belkin model over all of the other models in their range. The banked pairs prevent spikes/interference from each other ie, the click you get through the speakers when you turn a unit on/off. Also again no specs, although to be honest I don't know what it all means anyway so fair enough. What is the guarantee like. Does it have free lifetime replacement in the event of any failure? and does it replace your HI-Fi-kit if it should be damaged, up to an unlimited amount :cool: (that's what I call putting your money where your mouth is!!!)

Samjet:
The manual (lol 'leaflet) says that the banked pairs have an accumalative affect and they simply reccommend that the equipment drawing the most current should be positioned at the lower level ,ie '4' and work your way up. Although they do say though that bank number (1) is quite safe for any equipment regardless and the guarantee is not dependant on correct placement. Try to put any noisy devices (such as a printer for example) in a different bank to your TV so that you don't get lines or snow when it's running. :smashin:

Again does anyone know what the difference is (apart from the price) with dedicated small block cleaners such as the clearway. Can anyone who has them quote any specs so that we can see what it is that your paying for. :D

I did look at Ebuyer. The only filtering it mentioned was radio intereference filtering.

samjet said:
got mine from www.ebuyer.com

quickfind reference no 57866

£50.55 inc vat + carriage

they are in stock and available for immediate dispatch

they were very efficient and i paid a bit more for next day delivery

hope this helps

Good price, I thought that I'd checked everywhere, well done. :thumbsup:

Just had a PM from from Spuddler who says:
spuddler said:
BIt of info for you,Belkin PURE AV(8 socket one which i think i saw Dfour recommend)surge protector & power filter,£40 in curry's (highstreet ,price on box is not a individual shop one if you know what i mean),i a'nt seen it under £60 on Web?.
Not sure if this is the same model as they do a pure AV 8 socket in another lower spec model, but if your near a curry's it's got to be worth a look. ;)

mhuk05 said:
Where does it say it's a filter rather than just a surge protector?

Check the diagram photo from the back of the pack in my original post. I'm sorry it's not very clear but with compression I couldn't get it any clearer and maintain it's size on screen and keep it below 110k :rolleyes: . In the top left it tells you some stuff about RFI/EFI noise reduction. I also quoted line noise specs in my post.........................did you actually read it???? ;)

mhuk05 said:
Yes I read it, I just couldnt see any tech info on ebuyer <raspberry/>

:D

surely you meant....( :p )..... :laugh:

. ;)

mhuk05 said:
I did look at Ebuyer. The only filtering it mentioned was radio intereference filtering.

right

from the belkim blurb i have '..... guards against audio/video interference caused by high frequency line noise contamination....'

'.....power filtration technology isolates and contains power line noise....'

i cannot find any reference to audio noise etc :confused:

Prometheus said:
Flimber:
It does look nice especially if you have a rack mount, does it protect the individual devices from each other? This is one of the main advantages of this particular belkin model over all of the other models in their range. The banked pairs prevent spikes/interference from each other ie, the click you get through the speakers when you turn a unit on/off. Also again no specs, although to be honest I don't know what it all means anyway so fair enough. What is the guarantee like. Does it have free lifetime replacement in the event of any failure? and does it replace your HI-Fi-kit if it should be damaged, up to an unlimited amount :cool: (that's what I call putting your money where your mouth is!!!)

PD8IEC-CE / 8LIEC-CE SPECIFICATIONS:
Dimensions 19" L x 8" D x 1 3/4" H
Weight 15.4 kg (7 lbs.) less packaging
Housing Quality Black powder coated chassis
Electrical 230V, 50/60 Hz, single phase
Max. amps 10/ unit
Max. watts 2300/ unit
Spike/surge protection Line to neutral, neutral to ground,
line to ground
Surge protection alarm yes
Response time < 1 nanosecond
Max. clamping voltage 400V
Max. spike current 65,000 amps
Max. surge energy 1665 joules total (555 per leg)
Noise filter (EMI/RFI) Frequency 150 kHz -100 MHz
Attenuation up to 68 dB
Certification CE compliant

AFAICS, 1yr warranty. But these are marketed as 'professional' (for studio use etc), FWIW. I like the design, being a "component" an'all. Personally, I think the warranties given away with surge protectors are a gimmick. You're covered anyway under your house insurance for a start and there's always the small print to consider (underwriters 'aint stoopid).

Mike.

Flimber said:
PD8IEC-CE / 8LIEC-CE SPECIFICATIONS:
Dimensions 19" L x 8" D x 1 3/4" H
Weight 15.4 kg (7 lbs.) less packaging
Housing Quality Black powder coated chassis
Electrical 230V, 50/60 Hz, single phase
Max. amps 10/ unit
Max. watts 2300/ unit
Spike/surge protection Line to neutral, neutral to ground,
line to ground
Surge protection alarm yes
Response time < 1 nanosecond
Max. spike current 65,000 amps
Max. surge energy 1665 joules total (555 per leg)
Noise filter (EMI/RFI) Frequency 150 kHz -100 MHz
Attenuation up to 68 dB
Certification CE compliant

AFAICS, 1yr warranty. But these are marketed as 'professional' (for studio use etc), FWIW. I like the design, being a "component" an'all. Personally, I think the warranties given away with surge protectors are a gimmick. You're covered anyway under your house insurance for a start and there's always the small print to consider (underwriters 'aint stoopid).

Mike.

Fair enough. I'm not particlarly attached either way it's only a surge protector after all :rolleyes: .

However :devil: It would appear to me that the specifications on the Belkin are better than the one's quoted above, and as for being 'marketed ' as professional, is it not simply a case that this is just a means of identifiying the target purchaser and probably refers more to the rack format than to the specific protection afforded.

I am in total agreement with your points about the warranties, however if what nick says is true.........
Nick UK said:
I have misgivings regarding this sort of device because at the heart of it is a component called a VDR (voltage dependent resistor) which often self-destructs when a sizeable spike occurs. Many better quality blocks have an indicator to show when this has happened.

then this factor alone could be a deciding factor (the belkin does have this feature) as they will replace the unit at any time during it's lifespan not just one year, unless of course you are in fact a professional in reality and not just wanting to feel like one. In which case you could write it off against next years tax :D ;) .

I got one of these a few months back and it did change the sound, was subtle but noticable. It has ferite cores, i.e. iron with some copper wired around it. And these all connect with each other so at lvl one you have 1 set of cores and by the time you get to lvl 4 you have 4 sets of cores which have a culmative 'cleaning' effect. For the money its certainly worth it and the unlimited lifetime gaurantee is comferting if nothing else. The build quaility, as it's amost entirely metal is amazing and nothing seems to come close.

You also get some decent interconnectors with it for sky/cable and the telephone line, which also routes through this so a spike through one of these systems wouldn't fry your sky box.

Not sure if it would be woth investing in one of those multi £100 ones next and move my belkin over to my pc or not.

Samjet, which version did ebuyer send you of this power cleaner/surge protector?

i read on a site that they are sending the OLD version (writing under the plug and other differences) or did they send the one like prometheus has?

i`ve had a few dealing with ebuyer sending an item different the the one they describe, and sending faulty things back then only getting a partial refund.

so don`t want to give them my money unless i`m getting a bargin.

Thanks.

tenerc said:
Samjet, which version did ebuyer send you of this power cleaner/surge protector?

i read on a site that they are sending the OLD version (writing under the plug and other differences) or did they send the one like prometheus has?

i`ve had a few dealing with ebuyer sending an item different the the one they describe, and sending faulty things back then only getting a partial refund.

so don`t want to give them my money unless i`m getting a bargin.

Thanks.

Tenerc:
I got mine from Day3.co.uk
http://www.day3.co.uk/catalog/produ.../5212?osCsid=cedbb38c0da37076dcd8ad59bfd731e6.
Although they are showing that they don't have it in stock at the moment.

This is the first time that I have dealt with them so, other than this transaction which went very well. (they e-mailed me everyday to inform me of the progress of the order which I thought was excellent :)) It took 3 days from ordering to my door which is why they are called day3 aparantly and it did!

The second option that I was considering is here:
http://www.stuff-uk.net/acatalog/z_ST-F9G823UK3M.htm
but the postage was fractionally more (about £1.50) so I went with the day3.co.uk.

I hope this is helpful. :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom