Heads up: New freeware 'iTunes Agent' allows iTunes to work with most MP3 devices

Discussion in 'iPhone Forum' started by tetanus, Mar 12, 2006.

Tags:
  1. tetanus

tetanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just giving a heads-up about a freeware I discovered through Download Squad.

From the publisher's website:

iTunes is a great music player and organizer. Unfortunately iTunes is made to only synchronize with iPods. Not everyone own an iPod, though Apple certainly would have loved that. How great would it not be if I could synchronize my non-iPod MP3 player, my Playstation Portable and my Walkman phone with my iTunes playlist? Enter: iTunes Agent!

For those users who simply can't take to SonicStage, this could be a very good alternative.

2. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    not yet anyway, just been on the site, and it says it only works with players that show as Removable Disks, which counts out the sony walkmans.

3. tetanus

tetanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm missing your point; the Sony NW-HD5 does appear as a removable storage device in Windows XP.

I've downloaded and tried out iTunes Agent. The only thing now is to figure out the directory structure of the Sony NW-HD5 so that songs that are copied over from iTunes to the HD5 will show up.

4. WelshBluebird

WelshBluebird

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +135
    It seems I misunderstood the site. I thought it meant it would only work for those players which already use windows explorer to transfer files.

5. tetanus

tetanus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I did some quick tests on iTunes Agent, and the following are my findings:

Unfortunately, this program will not work with a Sony NW-HD5/iTunes pairing.

While iTunes Agent is able to recognize the HD5 when it is plugged in, and is able to transfer tracks from iTunes over to the HD5, the HD5 will not play back the tracks.

It would seem that the HD5 only recognizes transferred tracks with the .OMA extension that resides in a cryptical order of folders. Even the Sony MP3 File Manager program that allows users to transfer MP3s to the HD5 without the need for SonicStage, it also translates tracks into the OMA folder/filename arrangement.

Until the developer of iTunes Agent is able to come up with a workaround that translates the filenames transferred MP3s into their respective OMA file/folder names, there is simply no way the HD5 will recognize whatever has been transferred from iTunes.

A pity; a Sony NW-HD5/iTunes pairing would be superb, since it would mean that I no longer have to upkeep both a SonicStage and an iTunes library (for transferring and wirelessly streaming with Airport Express respectively).

6. D12sale

D12sale

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Works real nice with Samsung YP-U1Q 2GB flash player, shame it won't do MTP players though

7. extremelydodgy

extremelydodgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +68
    The software (and Bad Apple) doesn't leverage the true power of iTunes at all... there's no playlist support. You'll do better than this by buying j.River Media Center for your UMS/MTP player... although it still won't be quite as good as iTunes/iPod can be in certain ways.