1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Heads up for Battle Royale

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by Hawklord, May 9, 2004.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Just noticed this excellent Beat Takeshi film is being shown on CH4 at 11 pm Monday. If you've not seen this film before I thoroughly recomend you try to catch it:thumbsup:

2. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    definitely a film to keep an eye out for - seeing it in the tv guide has actually made me just order the 2 disc directors cut despite being 14.50 - normally i wait for things to come down to under 8 quid but for some reason i had a craving for some merciless violence :eek:

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    you can get it here for $HK68=£4.85 and the sequel (which is as good if not better) for $HK79=£5.64 (2 disc version). Both versions for less than the one copy your getting. P&P will be around $HK40=£2.80

http://www.layoyo.com/cgi-bin/ncomm...Vname&search=battle+royale&style=1&LANGUAGE=1 :smashin:

4. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    cool thanks for the tip hawklord - take it the pq is as good as the r0? ...gotta be careful i dont accidentally order the vcd instead. i take it you've used these guys before and they're all legit?

might make up the diff (up to customs limit with a variety of other films while im at it too :D)

5. rOAdeh

rOAdeh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    just another point about how much cd-wow rock...

cancelled my order via email at 11:41... received an email confirming cancellation at.... 11:46! jeeez... i've seen 10 minute replies with small(ish) companies before e.g svs but never one the size of cd wow...

:thumbsup: all round tbfh.. now just to hope layoyo arent gonna steal my money ;) - have found american psycho for $2.40 ish on their site.. i can't find a reference to an r3 comparison on dvdcompare.net but for 1.50 i might go for it anyway... surely it cant be genuine at such a low price?

6. G a f f e r

G a f f e r

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +491
    MENTAL film.
    can get it for £8 on sale at virgin at the mo....very tempting (single disc one though)

7. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    PQ is excellent (on my 32" TV) and I've ordered loads from these usually >£20 each time and never been hit by customs yet:)Prompt delivery too usually 5-7 days via air mail:smashin:

And yes they are all genuine even at that price:D

www.dddhouse.com are very good too on price but slightly more expensive than layoyo they have superb service too:thumbsup:

8. SanPedro

SanPedro

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +505
    Can anyone fill me in (out of curiosity) as to what happened in most of the film?

I started watching it for about half an hour and the story looked pretty intriguing, but then just seemed to settle into a routine of the kids offing each other left right and centre, with not much left to the imagination (I'd heard it was ultra violent).

Does anything else actually happen other than slice and dice?

After seeing the 'news story' at the beginning of the movie i assumed that only one gets out alive and that the films would be an hours worth of hack and slash.

CL

9. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    What an absolute pile of crap. This had nothing going for it. Unoriginal, uniteresting, unrealistic, pointless. I haven't felt so let down by a film since Barb wire, and I wasn't too interested in seeing that.

EDIT: Ok, one good thing, nice to see GoGo in another film.

10. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,863
    Figrin_Dan,

You said: "What an absolute pile of crap. This had nothing going for it. Unoriginal, uniteresting, unrealistic, pointless. I haven't felt so let down by a film since Barb wire, and I wasn't too interested in seeing that."

:eek:

Where we watching the same film?!

Unoriginal - Name me one other film that satirises the Japanese education system, with the exception of the "BR" sequel, due out very soon in the UK?

Uninteresting - Well, if you don't know much about Japanese culture, and don't like looking at a film from a wider viewpoint, I guess it may not be of interest. But look beyond, and get into the subtext!

Pointless - No! Not at all! The film (and original novel) were satires of the situation in the Japanese education system. It was a kind of "what if" scenario, played out against the current surge of interest in reality TV shows. So, pointless it was not! :lesson:

I'm ahappy to agree-to-disagree, but you're wrong about "BR" on so many levels! :rotfl:

Pooch

11. lentini

lentini

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +455
  12. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Thanks for the challenge Pooch

I would like to start by apologising for the huge threadcrap. It is unlike me to be so annoyed about a film.
    There were so many people saying this was a great film, maybe I had high expectations.

You are correct though, I have no knowledge about Japanese culture, I find manga baffling but I do find myself drawn to Asian cinema - Gonna have to stop that.

I must have missed any 'satirical subtext' as I just saw kids in school unform being told to kill and then killing. Perhaps one really needs to read the book (I can understand many people missing the chaos theory aspect of the Jurassic park film).

I could not see any 'what if scenario' in the film. Some kids did it, some kids didn't - They didn't discuss it (IIRC).

I also gave up 20mins before the end, which could have been important.

It has also put me right of that 'Beat' guy. and I haven't worked out if I like Zatoichi yet!

13. CrispyXUK

CrispyXUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +34
    never miss the end of a film if you are that close to the end!

14. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    Any other day (film) and I would agree with you.

15. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Correct it's letterbox.:(

16. theroohster

theroohster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I thought it was a great film...I wonder if Tarrantino watched it before casting Chiaki Kuriyama as Gogo Yubari in Kill Bill II?