Heads up for anyone still paying £15 for Setanta

Karapet

Standard Member
Reaction score
Since all new subscribers are being offered the same package for £10 and this is not an introductory offer, I called Setanta today intending to cancel and resubscribe if necessary. I didn't need to though, as soon as I mentioned what I was calling about, customer services said they would change me to the lower amount. When I enquired as to why I'd had to phone to request it they made some excuse about some people being on minimum contracts and they didn't check accounts without a request. In other words, they hope people will assume the £10 is an introductory offer and not do anything about it. Not the first time Setanta has ****** me off but I can't really do without NASN.

Isnt it a bit of a bad idea naming it after a rock guitar legend...?

I thought it was named after a small seedless grape?

I think people who subscribe to Setanta are insane.

The quality is just terrible and picture keeps breaking up.

If it was in HD, and the picture break-up issue was resolved, then I'd consider it, but there is no way I'd pay £10 a month for it as it stands.

Are there actually any 'Happy' Setanta customers out there? I've yet to speak to someone that is.

:thumbsdow

If it was in HD, and the picture break-up issue was resolved, then I'd consider it, but there is no way I'd pay £10 a month for it as it stands.

Are there actually any 'Happy' Setanta customers out there? I've yet to speak to someone that is.

My old man has just signed up for it as last year he had Prem Plus and he (being disabled) gets a lot of enjoyment out of the football

So far so good - picture seems as good as Sky SD

That is a crazy ammount for just 1 channel! :eek:

Didn't Channel 4 also offer a movie channel that was extra on your subscriptions before it went free?

it does show however that there are people out there that will pay anything for anything as money is of no concern... :suicide:

Didn't Channel 4 also offer a movie channel that was extra on your subscriptions before it went free?

it does show however that there are people out there that will pay anything for anything as money is of no concern... :suicide:

And the post shows there are people out there that do not want to pay anything for everything. :D The value can only be judged by the person paying the bill.

I think you get extra channels aswell like Rangers and Celtic TV (although not certain of what is included for the £10 a month), but alot of people will never watch them.

My old man has just signed up for it as last year he had Prem Plus and he (being disabled) gets a lot of enjoyment out of the football

So far so good - picture seems as good as Sky SD

So he didn't experience any picture break-up?

I tuned in for the freeview before the Chelsea game last week and it was basically unwatchable due to constant break-up, unless it's only like that for the actual freeview?....

There is no picture break-up , sounds to me as if your dish is slightly mis-aligned ;) ....if and when you get it sorted you will notice that the PQ is on a par with skysports SD , myself i am a 'Happy ' setanta customer due to the fact that NASN is also in the package, which is a must if you like American sports ....

I called them as soon as I saw the £10 and they switched me with no hassle, agree that the picture is crap compared to HD but it's still better than ITV. Only have it to watch the Rangers games

I'm also a very happy Setanta fan , due to NASN, with no picture problems.:hiya:

There is no picture break-up , sounds to me as if your dish is slightly mis-aligned ;) ....if and when you get it sorted you will notice that the PQ is on a par with skysports SD , myself i am a 'Happy ' setanta customer due to the fact that NASN is also in the package, which is a must if you like American sports ....

My dish certainly isn't misaligned as the signal quality is 3/4 and all other channels work perfectly.

I wouldn't have posted if I thought dish misalignment was the problem lol, as that would obviously be the first thought to enter ones head when picture break-up occurs, and it certainly isn't the problem.

I've spoken to loads of people who have experienced the picture break-up with Setanta, and all with strong signal quality, and from what I have read on other forums, the channel itself isn't very meteorologically tolerant, with most people saying that the first sign of a dark cloud and your reception is gone, when all other channels work fine without problem.

The channel gets a BIG thumbs down from me anyway, and MANY others :thumbsdow

Another happy Setanta customer here, picture quality is not ideal, but it does the job and is better than many other channels. If the picture is breaking up when you view then it does sound like an alignment issue. because other channels are Ok doesn't mean everything's fine. You need to check other channels on the same transponder as NASN or whatever channel is breaking up.

Another happy Setanta customer here, picture quality is not ideal, but it does the job and is better than many other channels. If the picture is breaking up when you view then it does sound like an alignment issue. because other channels are Ok doesn't mean everything's fine. You need to check other channels on the same transponder as NASN or whatever channel is breaking up.

Loads of people experiencing the same problem over on digitalspy:

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=622970

There are some lucky ones with no problems, but the majority of people do from what I've read there and who I have spoken to in person.

Most people signed up because of the Premiership Games this year, but for £10 a month, you'd expect the service to be steady, reliable and consistent, as Sky is.

They'll be losing customers like the clappers unless they sort things out, because the problem is definitely at their end and not the customers, unless everyones dish is misaligned. There are just too many people complaining of the same problem.

No Prem Plus this year is a big blow to football followers.

I eventually got through after numerous attempts to speak to someone at Setanta at the end of July as my contract was coming to an end.

I was told I would have one more payment at £15 and then I would be on £9.99.

Well I checked my Bank account today and found I was charged £15....not happy :mad:

I can't get through to them at all............they must be the worst CS team in the world :(

I would advise everyone who thought they were on the new rate to check to see if that is actually the case.

Gordon

Another happy Setanta customer here.

I also have Sky Sports and the PQ is comparable.

Easy sign up.

Dropped me to £9.99 a month as soon as I asked for it.

A decent package for £9.99 as far as I'm concerned...decent amount of Footy and loads of Golf.

I can see why, to anyone who's not taken up Sky, Setantas deal is very good VFM.

Lastly - Sky were long-overdue some sort of competition. At last, they now have it.

I eventually got through after numerous attempts to speak to someone at Setanta at the end of July as my contract was coming to an end.

I was told I would have one more payment at £15 and then I would be on £9.99.

Well I checked my Bank account today and found I was charged £15....not happy :mad:

I can't get through to them at all............they must be the worst CS team in the world :(

I would advise everyone who thought they were on the new rate to check to see if that is actually the case.

Gordon

Hello Gordon. Mt Setanta payment is taken on the 8th day of the month.

if yours is the same....and Ive read your post correctly, you should see £9.99 on the 8th Sept ??

For what it's worth, my picture on NASN and the other Setanta channels is absolutely fine and always has been. Strange as the signal strength on input 1 is stupidly low (less than 10%). Stranger still is that since it dropped to that low I've never had a problem on any channel. It used to be about 60% but was regularlygetting a lot of breakup and loss of signal. :confused:

My sympathies to those with problems.

took over 5 mins to get through

phoned up to get the payment reduced to 10 quid per month and they refused.

They said the contract i signed up to is 15 quid per month for 12 months..

i said i wanted to cancel at the end of my contract and again they refused saying i had to ring up 30 days before the end of the 12 months.

so frustrating...is there anything i can do..

took over 5 mins to get through

phoned up to get the payment reduced to 10 quid per month and they refused.

They said the contract i signed up to is 15 quid per month for 12 months..

i said i wanted to cancel at the end of my contract and again they refused saying i had to ring up 30 days before the end of the 12 months.

so frustrating...is there anything i can do..

I am sort of having the same problem we have moved from sky to virgin 2 weeks ago. i wrote to satanta last month to cancel never heard from them untill today as i cancelled my direct debit now they are saying i have broke the contract and want the rest paid upfront now my understanding is i was on a month to month contract tried about 5 times today to contact them to sort it out still no joy

I had a the runaround from setanta - I signed up 10 months ago at £15, and they refused last week to drop me to £10 until the year was up.

I will try again by the sounds of it!

Picture - I'm probably unusual in that I recieve sky through a Cubsat box sitting on my balcony (no sat dishes aloud) so I have to move it into position by hand most of the time (takes about 5 secs to get good sky picture).

However, I notice that Setanta appears to be in in a slightly different location and much less margin for error that standard sky channels (i.e. I often have to adjust the dish slightly for a good setanta pic, which I don't for any of the FTA channels). Arn't there 2 or 3 sats up there (Astra's) - is setanta on a different on to standard sky?

EDIT: Actually, could be frequency and polarisation of the setanta channels. I also just read that: "Setanta are in the range of frequencies that WiFi devices such as DECT phones cause interference on." which could be a factor...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom