Heads Up - Denon 1910 M/R Firmware Is Out

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by paulfoley, Oct 27, 2004.

1. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Got mine done today at Phase 3 Hifi in Southampton, they just got it in today. Took about 3 minutes to do. The CDR was officially labelled Denon.

Can confirm it works well & unlike one of the 2910 upgrades doing the rounds does not place any restrictions on the DVI Output (Regions 1 & 2 do indeed play faultlessly via DVI).

:clap:

2. begu

begu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    any hint of image cropping problems considering the DVI out and 720p 50 Hz resolution with sanyo z2 (and others) ??

The 720p 50 Hz (PAL) image didn't fill the screen in z2 properly, but it worked with 60 Hz (NTSC material).

3. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can you confirm if this fixes the macro-blocking bug? DVD's I know that have it are the R0 Battle Royale just as the bus enters the dark tunnel and Any Given Sunday R2 where Pacino and Quaid are talking in the garden, look at the out of focus flower bushes in the background. Thanks.

4. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Don't see how a multiregion mod would cure any of these problems, but here's hoping !

5. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've read that Denon release the firmware to "fix" problems and has the side effect of making the player multi-region. They will always deny that they supply a multiregion firmware to dealers.

6. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I did ask the Dealer if this Firmware Disk fixed any other bugs or offered any extra functionality. They told me that as far as they were aware it only offered the Multiregion Option.

As far as I was aware the Macroblocking Problems were apparent in nearly all players that utilised the Faroudja Chipset. I wouldnt have thought a quick firmware upgrade would resolve this, I think the problem lies with Faroudja?

BTW - There were no display errors on my setup (AE500).

;)

7. nelius

nelius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

What DVD did you test with for macroblocking?

8. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Mine was done when purchased - CR looked like the one described above - and the instructiosn for it where typed - however the last step of the instructsions says somrthing like

guy who did it said he was not sure how it would work with other region DVDs - but upon getting home OLDBOY played fine

9. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    I looked for MB artifacts using Star Wars Episode 4 at the shop & at home. I never saw any until I turned the brightness up a few notches & then saw Dark Purple blotching in the star fields. I just returned my brightness to where it was before & havent seen it since.

10. begu

begu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So the MB problem is only visible with brightness cranked up? Did You do some calibrating before upping brightness? So, is the image ok after some calibration (at least THX optimizer?) Does it get too dark when lowering the brightness to level that the MB disappear?

The home theater secret's review of the denon 1910 did state, that the MB issue is the worst with displays that has their own enchanting circuitry (NR etc.) turned on (by default). Maybe the MB issue is lesser visible with direct DVI to projector that has no image scaling or NR turned on? I have ae700 and will receive soon 1910. I will try to see the MB issue and post my comments afterwards.

Another point is the DVD-R issue? Is there problems with DVD-R ? I have read that the DVD+R are better with denon? I have lots of DVD-R (most verbatim DVD-R burnded at 1-2x) and none DVD+R. I don't either have the crap bulkpaq media too. Have anyone tested different discs with 1910?

11. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Not received my 1910 yet but if I need the firmware updating I may have to give Southampton Phase 3 a call. Audio-T here in Portsmouth are Authorised Denon dealers, but I've seen very little of Denon on the shelf, so Southampton maybe my best bet. I take it they just ask a small charge for the service?

12. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    Phase 3 Southampton did not charge me but to be fair I did buy the player from them.

I use Verbatim DVDR- recorded at X4 and they work just fine.

:D

13. begu

begu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks, so any comments about the picture being too dark when adjusting the MB away? Or do they only appear when upping the brightness from the 'optimized' (not too dark) picture? Well, I shall see / not see it soon, when my own unit arrives.

14. Beano

Beano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If possible, where can this firmware for DVD-1910 be downloaded ?

15. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Got the 1910 today and player exhibits the dvi faults as previously discussed.
    Phase 3 Southampton want £60 for the firmware update because I didn't get the player from them!! :mad:

16. paulfoley

paulfoley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    When I purchased my player they did offer me the following options on the M/R Firmware Upgrade (it was two weeks away from completion when I purchased) :

1) Come in & we'll do it for you. If the update cocks up the player we give you another.

2) We'll run you off a CDR & post it to you with instructions. If the update goes t*ts up then your player is useless & your 24 month warranty is null & void.

Its gonna take one mighty brave owner to go for option 2 & then place the files on the web for download ? Perhaps someone in the trade might do it eventually?

17. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Its very simple set of instructions to follow

open tray

enter code

insert disc

close tray

wait

open tray

take out disc

pull out plug

wait a littlw hile

put plug back in

power on

close tray

voila

18. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I've just sent an e-mail to av-land where my player came from asking if they have the update. It would mean sending the player off to them, unless they also offer a cd-r to do it myself. Am I brave enough?! :blush:
    We'll see. :)

19. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    What "code" are you talking about Duncan?

As far as I know all the steps you mention are correct except the code one you mentioned!

20. dUnKle

dUnKle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,495
    Cant remember to be honest - sorry

but even with the code you still need the disc

21. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    I just received an email from AV-Land saying that they received the latest firmware available on the 20th Oct, and as the player was bought on the 21st Oct it would have the latest firmware on it.
    Has there been a firmware released since 20th Oct or does it look like I have the latest one?
    The only thing the player seems to have trouble with is displaying 720P on region 2 disks.

22. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I had my player "done" yesterday - the code is 9876 (I think). But, as Duncan says, you still need the disc.

The mod only seems to enable multi region playback and has not fixed the "DVI filling the screen" problem.

23. begu

begu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Check my post in ' Denon DVD-1910 & DVI Problem' thread.
    It seems that new firmware is out, I got my player last friday (29.10) with serial number above 3933 and it had FW 1.10. Sorry that I don't have Z2, but with ae700 the 702p pal discs play fine in full screen (for 16:9 ofcourse, the 'cinemascope' has black bars above and under actual picture). So the image has no cropped edges, there is some minor pixels missing in the edges, but these are minimal.

How much did the z2 have these missing pixels?

24. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    A gray "frame" around 2 inches - more prevalent on the left side of the screen. This is on an 8ft screen by the way.

When my multiregion mod was applied, the DVD played displayed "1.09". I assume this is the firmware version.

Maybe the problem doesn't exist with the AE700 ??

25. begu

begu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well i got the 1.10 version in the first place. So I don't have experience with FW 1.09.
    There is some minor pixels cropping around the picture, like a 'frame'.
    BUT there a few pixels more than elsewhere in the left side of the picture.
    I will test horizonal placement of the ae700 to see if I can get as much picture out of the 1910 as possible.

note: this is not a bug anymore, I believe that the missing pixels is way more I'm experiencing now. I will get some missing pixels with htpc and DVI-HDMI cable too. But with htpc there is some more missing pixels than with the denon.

I think what is going on here, maybe. The Radeon 9550 with powerstrip settings:
    1280 x 720
    50 Hz manual refreshrate setting.
    I will get the picture offset far far to the right!
    So i did try the horizonal offset of my ae700 to correct: moved the pic by 64 pixels (max) to the left. But there is still too much (annoying) pixels no to be used in the left side of the image.

I don't know the settings for the powerstrip for ae700 to output PAL 50 Hz at 1280x720 without the picture being too far to the right.
    AND the keynote: the ae700 will show "620 60p" for the picture signalmode with htpc (1280x720 50 hz) _BUT_ will show "620 50p" for the 1910 in 720p with PAL disc !

So maybe the 1.09 FW in denon behaves like the htpc, too much offset in the picture. The refreshrate in htpc 1280x720 50 hz is motion smooth so the actual refreshrate is 50 hz. But the ae700 recognizes the signal as "620 60p" and maybe that is why the image has offset. Something is wrong in the powerstrip settings to cause the signal not to be recognized as "620 50p" as does the 1910 output.

So the 1.10 will somehow correct that offset.
    Is there anybody that has got the htpc to output 1280x720 in 50 Hz (with ae700) ?

EDIT : sorry, I mean't that the ae700 will show "750 60p" with htpc and "750 50p" with denon !!

26. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    Begu,

What you are describing is what is happening on my 1910 with 1.09, so it sounds like 1.10 doesn't fix this problem after all.

I will try to get my firmware upgraded and report back.

27. begu

begu
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    How much is the 8ft screen in metres, sorry?
    I know that You had 2 inches = ca. 5 cm offset.

I have ca. 180 cm wide (not diagonal) picture. And the offset is about 2 cm or less. I will check it tonight. I will test the ae700's horizontal offset settings. (to determine it as pixels, I think that the setting is pixels (-64/+64)).

28. paulw77

paulw77

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    I will give you an accurate measurement tonight, both for 720p PAL and 1080i PAL (the missing pixel problem in 1080i can be fixed by swapping inputs on the Z2).

8ft=96inches=243.84cm so screen is 243.84 wide x 137.16 high (diagonal=2.8m).

There is no horizontal offset setting on the Z2 (except in the service menu but it doesn't apply to HDCP sources !)

29. Stellavision

Stellavision

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Asking around on the high def and video proccessing forums, it seems that the problem with the Hitachi 42PD5200 handling pal disks at 720p is possibly the fault of the plasma. It's possible that the Hitachi is recognizing 720p @ 60hz on ntsc, but can't do the conversion to recognize 720p @ 50hz.
    I suppose it can't hurt to try 1.10 anyway when I eventually manage to get it.

30. Cablechap

Cablechap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Hi Stellavision,

As you have probably spotted I have mentioned this on another thread:

The Hitachi manual recommends 720P at 60 Hz using DVI-D on RGB 1 and works fine with NTSC, as expected.

However, using the DVI-PC, rather than DVI-STB, with 720P at 50Hz provides some success, but I do not want to make a multitude of setup changes everytime I change dvd region.
    Another member also states that they have had success using a different player to output 720P 50Hz PAL.
    This would suggest that the 42pd5200 is capable of accepting it.

It is also worth noting that the manual makes no recommendation under RGB 1 for PAL 576i/p and yet that works okay as well.

What you have got to ask is, why are both Hitachi and Denon selling a HD-type-products into the UK market that don't work with UK 50Hz resolutions?

Having checked my Denon 1910 it shows I have firmware 1.09 and I have already had the multi-region mod performed. I will certainly be having the 1.10 upgrade and hoping for the best.

To date, neither company have responded in a positive way to the emails I have logged.

I will post an update once the 1910 has had one.

Cheers,

Cablechap