• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Headroom London Show 2016

Steven

Senior Moderator
HEADROOM™ SHOW 2016 | London - Metropolis

Received email notification this is back. The 2015 show saw the UK debut for the Sennheiser momentum range refresh, JH Audio Angie and Layla, ACS Encore and Pioneer SE-Master1 amongst others. Have hopes the 2016 show will similarly start 2016 off with a bang.

Who is in

exhibitors.jpg

(This thread may be moved to Shows section at some point)

Last edited:

CARLOS

Distinguished Member
It would be nice if once in a while these shows were further up the country, not going to do a 200+ mile round trip :thumbsdow

Peridot

Prominent Member
I was just going to post, asking for advice on where I could audition some decent 'phones and saw this.

That's just perfect ... looking forward to it.

Member 410254

Established Member
London’s headroom show, which offers music lovers the chance to try the largest range of demonstrable headphones in the UK, has been chosen by Sennheiser to debut the new reference-level HD 800 S headphone. (£1,200) en-uk.sennheiser.com.

Sennheiser’s new reference- level HD 800 S headphone will make its UK debut at the headroom show (January 29th 30th 2016 ). Headroom is a unique two-day experience that brings together the world’s leading portable audio manufacturers and showcases the latest products, technologyand trends within an exclusive environment: Europe’s foremost recording and mastering studios, Metropolis.

The new HD 800 S is precision-built in Germany and features a striking industrial design. Its transducer is encased by stainless steel, while the headband and headphone mounting utilises
advanced materials developed for the aerospace industry, giving high strength with minimal weight. Its layered-metal headband construction attenuates vibrations to the ear-cups, while the hand-made Microfiber ear-pads offer exceptional comfort, even over extended listening periods. Compared to its HD 800 stablemate, the new HD 800 S offers even better high-precision connectivity and is supplied with two connection leads: a 6.3mm connector, plus an XLR-4 balanced cable to maximise sound quality from sources with balanced outputs (such as the Sennheiser HDVD 800 headphone amplifier). Full details can be found here.

Steven

Senior Moderator
No Noble ? As I'd like to try the K10U.
Email Gisele at aid 2 hearing. Definitely have old version universal demo. No idea if she has the new build but only need to pay attention to the sound inside anyhow

psikey

Distinguished Member
I've put the K10U ambition on hold now as happy with my SE846 and my free funds have just gone towards an Oculus Rift pre-order (can't afford both). Thanks for suggestion anyway.

Member 410254

Established Member
London’s headroom show (January 29th-30th 2016 ) will debut the world’s first noise-isolating electrostatic earphone system from SHURE, the new KSE 1500 which combines a Sound-Isolating™ electrostatic earphone with a matched high-res SHURE USB amp/DAC.

Electrostatic technology, which until now has never been applied to earphones, provides the fastest, most accurate transient response available the company says. The Sound-Isolating™ electrostatic earphone and matching amp/DAC provide a unique system that operates “holistically, giving unmatched clarity and detail with extremely high fidelity”.

Each earphone features a virtually weightless, massless diaphragm surrounded by an electrostatic field generated by back-plates that manage charge-oscillation. The earphones connect to a rechargeable amplifier using an advanced Kevlar cable, specifically engineered to work with the electrostatic diaphragm and provide the correct operating bias.

The 24/192 USB amp/DAC is compatible with Mac, PC, iOS and Android devices, with all navigation and control performed via a single wheel. A colour screen gives source, EQ, volume information and more, plus each KSE 1500 is supplied with a comprehensive accessory pack.

headroom is a unique two-day experience that brings together the world’s leading portable audio manufacturers and showcases the latest products, technology and trends within an exclusive environment: Europe’s foremost recording, mastering and production studios, Metropolis.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Woo confirmed the day off work so will be going both days. Now to decide which headphones to take...
Went last year, spent to much! Going again this year but leaving the credit card at home.
Discipline :cool: - i will only be listening to the über expensive Fostex amplifer out of curiosity...

Last edited:

BarnDoor

Established Member
I assume you've got your Fostex TH-X00 by now?
How are you getting on with them?
I wasn't blown away with the stock pads, but after swapping to HM5 pads am really enjoying them now.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Too early to form conclusions. I knew my TH900 would still be better but like them enough to sell the B&W P7 on. Not yet pad rolled. So much choice and different reports... have no intention of burning money on loads of pads

mikes1

Established Member
I went along today and had a good look around, thanks to Steven for advising it was happening. I've walked passed the venue many times and had no idea of the rich history of the location.

Steven

Senior Moderator

Headroom Show 2016

Had the pleasure and privilege of securing a seat for the interview and Q&A with a certain Mr Gary Langan. Thoroughly interesting and entertaining. Worth the cost of entry alone. Great stories and learnt something about the engineering process for Queen, Bohemian Rhapsody

Steven

Senior Moderator

AKG always make the big headphone shows. Finally got to hear the AKG K550. Actually get the budget love. Even sound, balanced, smooth, really nice midrange

Everyone seems to be bringing out a wireless speaker these days. Pioneer also had their dap on demo. Definitely worth a second demo and *not as expensive as Astell & Kern* A lot of people came away impressed by the uber expensive Pioneer SE-Master1

Newly metal-jacketed JH Audio Rosie, Angie II, Roxanne II and Layla II universal earphones in attendance. Luckily got some quality alone time. For my money the Angie II hits the sweet spot in sound / performance ratio. Rosie is a bit too lightweight in the short listening. Roxanne II and Layla II has better technical proficiency sure but i do think they become a touch too warm and v-shaped for my liking. Angie could do with having a bit more bass slam and midrange lushness to be perfect for my liking but more balanced sounding than the two more expensive family members. Note: listening done through demo AK320 with Thriller album in flac

Last edited:

Steven

Senior Moderator

So psyched to see Schiit Audio make an appearance as have been doing heavy research on their multibit dacs. Sadly FedEx misplaced the middle-tier Gungnir!!

Comply did not have their "one size fits all" tips announced at CES 2016 but i am name-dropping them as the really nice rep gave me a sample of their Comply Wraps (designed to perfect the fit of custom earphones) to try with my customs. The left earpiece on my custom earphones is perhaps just a touch (really no more than 1-to-2mm too small. Sometimes when it has warmed up to body temperature it feels okay. It is so slight it is not worth sending back for a refit imo. The wrap fixed this up perfectly

Shure's new KSE1500 electrostatic earphone system that will retail for around £2300. Yeah really bringing it and can understand the hype. One thing i found is that the soundstage did not seem really wide

Unannounced Shure dac/amp near-final prototype! In a lovely silver finish that actually looks better than the KSE1500 unit. Very nicely engineered and oozes build quality. In a very brief listen it tightened the sound, increased the dynamics and the soundstage. Will be quite expensive at around £800 when it is released in the summer. I did query if they could have made it wider and thinner. Also suggested a gain switch as any higher than 4 was too loud with my Shure SE846

Steven

Senior Moderator

New Sennheiser HD800S: one of the stars of the show. Sennheiser had original and new set up side-by-side for attendees to A/B.

Beyerdynamic brought along their new Mark II headphones. Definite improvement in treble so it is no longer so 'annoying' but i think Sennheiser treble is still smoother and better

Fostex's £7,000 headphone amplifier and the Fostex TH900 MKII (only change is the removable cables) made their UK debut, pictured alongside my Fostex TH-X00 massdrop edition

Audeze LCD-4. Yay they have finally made some effort towards addressing weight and comfort. Not quite there but a definite improvement on past headphones. Sound is especially delicious but a definite demo before buying due to the comfort factor

Steven

Senior Moderator

Apparently the UK distributor for Fostex will now be carrying Questyle too. Frustratingly the QP1R (r for reference) sounds absolutely GLORIOUS but the scroll wheel is beyond ANNOYING. It is just inconsistent and you never know what it will do next. How did this get through product testing (and i am including the public beta testers here for criticism)

Master & Dynamic headphones!! Finally got to hear them and wow one of my personal highlights. Wired MH40 and wireless MW60 was there. Did not see the new earphones. Stunning sound, beautiful looks and fantastic build quality - with the exception that the MW60 wireless headphone right side driver was not working in bluetooth mode but was fine in wired mode. So frustrating. Will be emailing them in due course about this

Mitchell & Johnson Kickstarter hybrid electrostatic / dynamic headphones made an unexpected appearance. Apparently they secured a slot just six-weeks before the show. I really liked the sound. Good tonality, timbre and decay. I did offer a suggestion the bass hit was a touch dry for my taste but definitely interesting and worth keeping an eye out for what comes of the Kickstarter campaign

ACS and Linum. Got to view the updated prototype super-BaX cables for which i am on the pre-order list. They have moved onto more solid jacks which i approve of. ACS were demoing a universal version of their top-line Encore customs with a new cross-over that intends to eek that extra percentage sound quality. Wait a few weeks if you are thinking of buying

Obravo earphones were a quiet surprise. WIIIDE soundstage. Excellent tonality, impact and dynamics. Really engaging sound. Cable comes with and without mic and has excellent ergonomics. Only thing was they are worn hang-down old-skool style and so not the most isolating. Snugs were also at the show and (ssh) took samples to find out if they can make custom sleeves for these bad boys ;), so if it comes off that may help

Headroom Show 2016

Please note there were more brands than listed above. Easily the biggest and best headphone audio show or meet i have personally attended. Here is to the 2017 show!

BarnDoor

Established Member
Thanks Steven, sounds like you had a good day.

utopia13w

Established Member
Thanks to Meridian audio for my tickets. As expected, I loved the Audeze flagship units open & sound sound. Also Pioneers portable player left me adding one to my wish list.

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom