Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mcav, Mar 22, 2005.

1. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Hi there

I have the Zen Xtra Jukebox player and I have to say, I am very impressed with it overall. Excellent quality throughout, and with 30GB, I got it for almost £100 less than a 20GB IPOD :clap:

Anyway - I know the bundled headphones are "functional" at best. I was just wondering if anyone can recoment a decent set of headphones which are the same size as the bundled ones but of course, better.

Cheers

2. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    Well I have the sony in earphones if thats what you are after which retail for around £35 or amazon selling them for £25 free postage they are the ones with silicon caps, but some people are actually using ones made by SHURE I aint never heard of them but have heard people saying they are the best ones on the market. check ebay out for the SHURE ones as I am considering those now.

3. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I ordered some Sennheiser MX 550s from goaudio.co.uk yesterday. I am expecting them to come tomorrow, or the next day. I will post with what I think of them. Of course I expect them to be quality because Sennheiser is a top of the range headphone company.

4. Pecker

Pecker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
    Ratings:
    +4,483
    Sennheiser PX100 c.£30.

HUGE step up for relatively little cost.

And far, far less than you saved by not buying the i-pod.

Steve W

5. mcfarfs

mcfarfs
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    I have PX100s as well. They sound awsome and are great value for money. But I want some in ear ones for the convenience, cos the PX100s don't fit in my pocket so I end up having them round my neck whilst not listening!

6. SuperSaiyan4

SuperSaiyan4
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +49
    What about the SHURE brand? I thought they were the best INEAR phones?

7. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    SHURE make the best live microphone on the market (the SM58) but not heard of them making decent headphones. I'm sure (no pun intended) they do, but I've always been a senheizer man. Prob is they don't make in ear phones as far as I'm aware.

Are the Sony headphones you refer to called the Sony MDR-EX71SLB Fontopia Headphones - Black ??

They look very cool - think they'll do me.

Cheers

Simon

8. thehilders

thehilders
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
  9. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Got the sony headphones from Amazon. 25.99 with free shipping. Although I have only used them a little but and have not really calibrated them to my player - they are excellent!!! Fantastic bass response as well as crystal treble. The mid range is also just at the right level! I am using the larger buds, but will toy around to see if the smaller ones are any better

Suposse that depends on your ear size.

But nonetheless I doubt you'll get better for £25 when it comes to in ear phones.

10. shirleywhite

shirleywhite

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I think it's very much an individual thing - both re sound and also fit/comfort. I used the Sony Ex71's ( the in ear canalphones ) and was very pleased with the sound and fit/feel. But after just over a year of ( very very careful) use the left channel simply stopped working. I bought another set ( £29 at Ask - Tottenham Ct rd - quote their web price at them - they ask (sorry!) £35 in store. ) but found forums/threads saying that it was not an unknown event for the Ex71's to "die" after about a year. After a lot of research ( thanks to Head-Fi forums mainly) I narrowed choice to the Shures ( E3c's - though there's a bigger range - E2c through to E5c!!) and the Etymotic 6i's. I ended with the 6i's ( mainly cos cheaper !! Sunrise Electrical -TCRd- £99 ) The big warning is ( as most reviews say ) initially they seem to lack bass. Very clear/clean etc sound but not as "thumping" (!) as the Sony. But it really really is down to getting a good fit in the ear - they come with both silicone (flanged) tips as well as foam ones. You have to get used to them AND get used to putting them in correctly Took me a couple of weeks to get it right. They isolate you much more than the ex's ( so watch out crossing roads etc !! ) but sound is excellent - crisp clean etc and (IMHO) good bass sound too.
    Having said all that - I'm sure (another pun-sorry again!) the Shures are quality phones too.
    PS There's a difference between the "ordinary" in-ear phones ( which I thought the Sennheisers mentioned above are?!) and the "canalphones" which sit quite deep in the ear -sealing you off from outside! Some people might not get on with the latters - I have ( and am very pleased !!)

11. mcav

mcav

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    I think the ones i have are canal phones. The do fit quite far into the ear and sound best when you're pretty much cut off from all outside sound because the phone is inside the ear canal.

12. bluemoonmcfc

bluemoonmcfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +70
    Well i got my Shure E2c headphone's today from ebay for my Sony HD3, stonking value at £45 all in. :thumbsup:
    My first impressions are very good great build quality, bass and treble are well defined, for the money i am well happy. :D