Headphones

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by DT, Jul 17, 2000.

1. DT

DT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking to buy a pair of headphones for use late at night. Anyone got any advice what I should look for?

2. cyberdudelion

cyberdudelion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What's your budget?

Some suggestions:

Sony MDR 7506 - $100 from www.swee****er.com
    I believe these are the cans most broadcasters and recording artists use. I found it only once on a dj website in the UK for £170. I use it with a MD portable. The commercial version (which I believe is exactly the same is the MDR-V6. Costs $80 from www.amazon.com but it cannot be repaired unlike the 7506

Sennheiser HD 580 - There are deals on in the USA at the moment. $199 will get you the Sennheiser surround sound processor and the cans. Much more expensive in the UK. Try www.soundcity.com

Sennheiser HD 600 - The best cans under £500 IMHO. Great for listening late at night. I use them. RRP is £250 but I've seen them advertised for around £150. Try Ask Electronics on Tottenham Court Road or browse through any recent issue of WHF. I got them for £120 + s/h from Germany but that website seems to have increased the price to UK levels. This is only can I know to be cheaper than the USA.

Bayerdynamic - DT 830 Cheaper in germany but should get them for around £100.

You might want to try the Grado range but I find them uncomfortable, so not really suitable for late night listening.

My choice would be the HD 600. You get a box to store the phone as well. Check out www.audioreview.com

Sorry for the long post [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by cyberdudelion (edited 17-07-2000).]

3. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've always used headphones for home cinema and I can recommend Sennheiser.

I use 565 Ovation's (many Best Buys). If you hunt around you may pick 'em up cheap.

There's loads of headphones about though, so maybe it'd be a good investment to buy an issue of What Hi-Fi or check out their web site Click here to give you more of an idea.

And you don't have to spend £100 to get good 'phones.

A Phased Plasma Rifle In A 40 Watt Range®

My DVDs

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited 17-07-2000).]

4. cyberdudelion

cyberdudelion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Could someone help please

I've tried typing the website for Swee****er Sounds in different ways but '*' appear inbetween [​IMG]

5. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it's censorship!

I tried to type in s*h*i*t*e the other day and Blade (The Moderator) confirmed it was a sweary word!

Will it still effect the URL, though? (Unfortunately, yes! -just checked) [​IMG]

My DVDs

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited 17-07-2000).]

6. cyberdudelion

cyberdudelion

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There you go! I am not even able to type the word 'water' inbetween. Weird [​IMG]

Should the word appear as * again, it's otherwise known as H20

7. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That's daft:

The software must pick up on:

sweet*w*a*t* Geddit? t*w*a*t*?

I could be wrong.

My DVDs

[This message has been edited by Gary (edited 18-07-2000).]

8. Matt

Matt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    There was a long 'debate' about getting 5.1 sound from a pair of headphones plugged into a Sony 535 over on DVDweb some months back, it got quite heated at one point