Question Headphones under 400 EUR

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Tomas200484, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Tomas200484

Tomas200484
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Long story short ... my gf asked me to pick up headphones up to 400 EUR as my Xmas present.
    Till now I had AKG Y50 which I really liked and I am looking forward to the sound improvement.
    Headphones will be used 50% of the the time for traveling(using Sony Xperia or iPhone as a source) and the rest home or in the office(source Rotel RA-1570) Music: mainly Rock, folk, modern and bit of everything.

I will need headphones that are easy to drive, interchangeable cable and a small jack. No need for noisecanceling/wireless/etc...

Don´t know where to start to be honest .... after quick search on the internet I am considering Beyerdynamic, Hifiman, Sennheiser. Does it worth to look at B&W p5/7 as I love my CM9 speakers? What other brands to go to and listen?

Thank you for your suggestions.

2. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    I would suggest:
    1) B&W PX which are wireless and noise cancelling and sound absolutely amazing (if you can get a good seal and they do apply a bit of pressure on your ears which may be uncomfortable for some but gets better over time). Amazing soundstage, bass and accuracy.
    2) Sony 1000-XM3 - Amazing again but darker sounding than the PX. PX are bright whereas sony's are dark but both have good bass, sony has better noise cancelling (probably the best of any headphone).

3. JayCee

JayCee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,511
    Can you define “darker” when describing sound from headphones?

4. Naqv

Naqv

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +352
    I would describe "brighter" headphones as having high treble, bright, sharp, high pitch etc, whereas darker headphones appear as though they have lower treble. Difficult to describe apart from go to currys and listen.

Don't mistake darker for meaning they are less detailed. They can be equally detailed and have wide soundstage if they are dark.