• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Headphones to go with EHP-O2D

Canti1982

I just ordered a EHP-O2D from Epiphany Acoustics and now want to get some nice new headphones to go with it. They are to replace my existing Grado SR60i's which are fine but I want something a little more comfortable and nice for use over long periods without getting fatiguing.

I am thinking something like HD600's or DT880's so big over ears and open. I breifly tried both today with an Musical Fidelity M1 dac and amp and came away a bit confused.

The HD600 sounded very forward and attacking which was nice in some respects as they were very clear but I wonder if they might get a little harsh on some recordings. I don't know maybe they would sound a bit smoother with a different source?

The DT880's were nice but nothing really stood out for me, they sounded a bit more relaxed which is quite nice but lacked a little energy.

I think one of the issues I had was that despte being plugged into the same amp at the same volume the 600's were louder so I had to keep changing volume to try to level them out against the 600's.

I would go with the 600's but worry they might sound to harsh unless the EHP-O2D smooths them out a bit, any suggestions would be very welcome :)

Canti1982

On second listen I went with the DT880's, the HD600's were very detailed but I could not get over the slightly hard sound, I find the 880's an easier listen even if that's at the expense of some detail.

Looking forward to trying them with my EHP-O2D now, an ipod does not really cut it :)

MatthewA

Standard Member
I was wondering how does the DT-880 and EPH-02D sound to you? What impedance are your phones - I have the DT-880 600ohm and am thinking of buying the EPH-02D so getting some feedback from someone with this combination would be great :)

quadpatch

Standard Member
I was wondering how does the DT-880 and EPH-02D sound to you? What impedance are your phones - I have the DT-880 600ohm and am thinking of buying the EPH-02D so getting some feedback from someone with this combination would be great :)

Canti's DT880's are 250Ohms. I have the DT880 600Ohm and the EHP-O2D handy - I love the combo! The signature match is just right for me because the DT880's can sound a little lacking in warmth / bass slam for some tracks and the EHP-O2D gives it a decent amount. Anyway, the volume is just about enough to get to loud levels on the DT880 600Ohm. I don't think anyone would disagree but there is a small possibility. That was without the gain on but I wouldn't recommend touching that switch - caused distortion on both units I had.

The EHP-O2D paired with warmer headphones (V-Moda M-80, SoundMAGIC HP100, Denon D7000) tended to sound a bit too loose, boomy to me. In those cases the Arcam rPAC (which is still warm but just much less so) sounded better.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom