1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones/headset for the ultimate gaming experience

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Hawklord, Nov 6, 2004.

1. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    I'm currently using Beyerdynamic Galactic DT231's for pc gaming. These are fantastic little headphones that give good sound reproduction and positioning in games for the money (<£30 IIRC). I have just spent a lot of money upgrading my pc gaming rig and feel that I could probably improve the sound side of things by replacing the headphones with something better. I want to spend <£80 but would obviously expect a marked improvement over the DT231's and would need headphones that are fairly easily driven. My sound card is onboard on an Asus A8V deluxe motherboard and is the Realtek ALC850 AC '97 and would drive the headphones. I'm looking for imaging and sound quality to give me the edge in gaming especially for locating enemies (In Counter strike source for instance ;) ) and the like. The Galactic DT231's do an adequate job of this imo but I'm hopefull for being able to find something better for a larger budget.
    I have noticed a few pairs of 5.1 headphones appearing on the market (for example these http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=172076 or maybe http://www.play.com/play247.asp?page=title&r=ELEC&title=171212) and was wondering as to whether these deliver or is it all smoke a mirrors :suicide: I'm looking for headphones that have an inbuilt mic too for teamspeak and ingame banter :D

Has anyone had any experience of the products mentioned or have any recomendations to enhance my gaming.

Nb. I have posted in the pc gaming section too as I do not know which forum would be best :blush:

2. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,111
    I'd have thought the 5.1 jobs are more trouble than their worth especially if you are relying on aural cues . I wouldn't trust the 5.1 to make an accurate job of it.

I use a pair of Senheisser HD600s with my PCs onboard sound (which might seem a little overkill but they migrated from my set-up at work as they are open a leak a bit too much in an office enviroment, been suggested they are quieter inside than out). But they were quite easy to drive given their rating and they are ridiculously comfortable. I've not found a more comfortable pair to be honest .

3. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Might give my hd's a go with my pc then but I though they needed a hefty amp to drive them? I also really want a mic integrated too so i'm looking more along the lines of a headset probably.

4. AlecF

AlecF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm also a big gamer.

Fact is, though, very, very few games demand sophisticated equipment; there is definitely a case of diminishing returns when it comes to getting better sound out of games.

I'd say your DT231s are almost optimal if you want good phones; you can pay loads more for better 'phones, but you will get a more dramatic sound quality improvement by getting a better soundcard.

A good card is the new M-Audio Revolution 5.1 - this has nice DACs and good drivers; it will also play music really well.

On the other hand, if games take priority over music, you should just get an Audigy 2 (or perhaps hang on for the impending and expensive Audigy 4 Pro). EAX 3D positioning is proprietary to the Audigy line, and is the standard API for games' audio. Bunkum for music, though.

If you need a headset, get the DT234 - this is basically the '231 with integrated mic.

So, don't waste your money. Get a new soundcard. Get a '234 if you want a mic.

5. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    Thanks I'll definately check out the DT234's but since I use my Hi Fi and Headphone set up for music I'll not really get the benefit of buying a musical or multichannel sound card imo. Unless there is a two channel card available that will improve headphone use with games then I'll probably just look into replacing the dt231's with similar headsets.:)

6. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257

This links to this thread lol :rotfl:

7. 61ShAP^Nev'Duke

61ShAP^Nev'Duke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah - dunno why that is - I just copied the right thread and it keeps linking to this one - duh

8. 61ShAP^Nev'Duke

61ShAP^Nev'Duke
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK for some stupid reason I cant put a link here as it just repeatedly refers to this thread, but go to the headphones section and look at the thread in there by StevieB entitled 5.1 headphones