1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones: Grado vs Sennheiser

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Daneel, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I'm looking at the Grado SR80 (£85) vs the Sennheiser HD580 (£85) or HD590 (£95).

I'm planing on using these most of the time with my computer system at night, pluged into my Videologic Sirocco Crossfire amp. I might use it with my Marantz SR7300 receiver too, and also with portable players.

So 1st, given the price what do you guys think I should go for?

2nd, I've read a lot about these headphones sounding much better when connected to headphone amps, how will my two main sources (sirocco amp and marantz receiver) perform in this regard?

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    HD580. Definitely.

3. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    id say get the grado`s i own a pair of sennheisers an they kick its arse lol

4. Nic Rhodes

Nic Rhodes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,277
    I would say the 580 as well a great headphone that used to be MUCH more money. The Grado is a fine phone in it's own right but I find little difference between the 60 and 80 so would personally go for the 60 in the Grado range. Even the 323 (?) doesn't offer a huge jump in the Grado range, really need to go RS 1 / 2 for that and we are talking £600 ish here. [Numbers approx right here!]