1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones + glasses

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mgorton, Apr 11, 2005.

1. mgorton

mgorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I listen to music at work through headphones, but also have to wear glasses.
    I'm currently using supra-aural phones (sennheiser PX-200's) so my glasses are not a problem. However.... I'm looking at Sennheisers new curcumaural phones (HD-215) and I'm getting that spending urge!

Would my glasses be a problem with curcumaurals or not?

2. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    I've been using circumaural Sennheiser 'phones for years, and they're not a problem with glasses unless you want to put your glasses on or take them off in the middle. That's a little fiddly. :)

3. mgorton

mgorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thank Nicolas,

Do you have any leakage problems (from the headphones!)?

4. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Are you suggesting I have vast amounts of excess earwax? :devil:

5. mgorton

mgorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Course not! :)

Do your phones leak sound? If not what are they? If they're open back or more than £80 which closed back sub-£80 phones would you suggest?

6. NicolasB

NicolasB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +520
    Like the majority of high-end headphones, the better Sennheisers (580, 600 and 650) are all open-backed, so yes, they don't completely insulate you from outside sounds, or other people from what you're listening to.

If you're really worried about sound leakage you could maybe look into something from Etymotic Research. They're a bit like the sort of 'phones you get on aeroplanes - fit inside the ear and form a tight seal so no sound escapes (or gets in from outside).

7. mgorton

mgorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the advise Nicolas. To be honest though I'm after some cans, as the in-ear buds give me a bloody headache. Do you know if I can run 64ohm phones with an mp3 player (sony vaio VGF-AP1L)?

8. Stewtheking

Stewtheking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a slightly different, but related problem to mgorton, I am also a spectacle wearer, and considering buying a pair of B&O in-ear phones(A8) , with those spangly looking hooks that go over the back of the ears.

Do these clash with glasses, and if so, will i have to walk around blind in order to use these if I end up buying them?

Ta

Stew

9. Stewtheking

Stewtheking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In addendum, I tried these on in the shop today, and they fit fine... *phew*... now all I need to do is sell a kidney, and I'm well away.

Stew

10. bradalax

bradalax

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Stew -I ama glasses wearer and the proud owner of the B&O A8 in-ear phones!

I think they are the most comfortable things I've ever put in my ears, the sound is stunning (brought my iPod to a whole new level!) and they don't cause problems with my glasses. (Although I do have to take the glasses of when I'm putting them in)

Really recomend them - high price, but B&O quality and service are superb, I lost the extension cord (which you get free with them) and popped in to a branch to find out if i could buy a new one. I was asked to hang on and the manager came out with a new cord which he gave to me for free.

11. Stewtheking

Stewtheking

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah, I took the plunge and bought them too about a week ago. I have been listening to them for a couple of hours or more every day. At first I was a bit worried that the bass was a bit heavy, but it kind of "mellowed in" (dunno what the technical term is) as I listened to them more. They are also absolutely perfect in terms of comfort, no problems after 4 straight hours of wear, and after about a day, you get so used to pushing the little arms around that it's second nature.

In fact, I only have 1 single criticism with this pair of headphones, and it isn't the price, it's the stupid straight-line jack plug, as opposed to an L-shaped one. It makes these feel really vulnerable with my player in a jacket pocket, and means I can't lose myself in the music as much. Ah well, less likely to get hit by a bus when not paying attention.

All in all, I can definitely reccomend these headphones, even if my student overdraft has misgivings!

Stewtheskint