Headphones for watching movies on iPad on the move

madman236

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

Quick question what headphones would you recommend?

I mainly watch TV shows and movies on my iPad during my daily commute and just wanted your advice. I'm looking for good sound quality ideally with noise cancelling or isolation. I will listen to music on my iPhone from time to time.

My options so far are:

Bose qc15
Sennheiser momentum (either on ear or over ear)
B@w p5
Parrot zik

Which would you recommend? Feel free to add any other suggestions my budget is around £250

Thanks

S

Well, if you really want noise cancelling, then I urge you to get the Bose QC15s. I use mine coupled with JDSLabs C5 Headamp and it's superb. But I do a lot of travelling.. So the ANC really saves my skin!

If you need noise cancelling, then I urge you to go with those cans! :D

Don't be put off by the fact they're 'Bose'. They've won multiple awards for a reason. They work!

Thanks jambo, zenza

Looking at your suggestions

Jambo - do you notice a reduction in sound quality when using Bose? What about the build quality? E.g plastic parts?

Zenza - silly this I know but they all seem rather big!

What do u guys think of my suggestions? Or am I looking at it the wrong way

Thanks jambo, zenza

Looking at your suggestions

Jambo - do you notice a reduction in sound quality when using Bose? What about the build quality? E.g plastic parts?

Zenza - silly this I know but they all seem rather big!

What do u guys think of my suggestions? Or am I looking at it the wrong way

Well, I initially bought the Sony 1RNCs. Just because of the built quality. Although, their sound grated on my ears. The Bose look like plastic toys in comparison. That aspect of the QC15s is utterly disappointing, but they're best in class.

After giving the Bose a chance, they actually sound really good. I'm quite surprised. I've always been underwhelmed when it comes to Bose headphones (and initially so with the QC15) but I actually really enjoy listening to music over them. They also have an unbelievable bass response - but that's because I've coupled them to a bass boosting headphone amp!

They've not made them 'sparkly' (like the 1RNC) so your ears don't get fatigued.

And unlike most ANC cans, the Bose have been designed with the ANC built in from the ground up, and offer no other way to listen than to turn them on.

The 1RNCs sounded good, don't get me wrong. But the massively aggressive treble (to the point where it made your ear drums tickle) was completely unbearable. Comparing the to the Bose makes the Bose sound like you're listening to music through butter.

Last edited:
Just purely because they sound great, and they're relatively stylish - if you want to wear them on the move - but the fit of the headphones isn't for everyone.

I think the Momentums Over-Ear are a good choice. They isolate well, look great and have a really enjoyable sound. The PSB M4U2 is my favourite noise cancelling headphone, but I can understand if you think they are a bit too big. I also really like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. They isolate very well and sound great! They also have adjustable bass ports on the cups so you can customise the sound to your taste.

I think the Momentums Over-Ear are a good choice. They isolate well, look great and have a really enjoyable sound. The PSB M4U2 is my favourite noise cancelling headphone, but I can understand if you think they are a bit too big. I also really like the Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro. They isolate very well and sound great! They also have adjustable bass ports on the cups so you can customise the sound to your taste.

Thanks for the info I'm just worried that the momentum over ears will be too big for me so I'm leaning towards either the momentum on ears or the b&w p5.

What do u guys think?

Thanks for the info I'm just worried that the momentum over ears will be too big for me so I'm leaning towards either the momentum on ears or the b&w p5.

What do u guys think?

The Momentums over ears are small. Frustrating as I love the sound but can barely get my whole ear in there.

The on ears are a bit meh from my 30 minute listen in Currys.

The Momentum Over Ears are smaller than your average full size headphone, they also fit close to the head so they are not bulky. The Momentum On Ear sound great but they leak more sound than the Over Ear version.

The Momentum Over Ears are smaller than your average full size headphone, they also fit close to the head so they are not bulky. The Momentum On Ear sound great but they leak more sound than the Over Ear version.

Just seen your website do you have demos of the p5 and both sennheiser over ears and on ears? Will need to pop down before making a final decision.

Check out my thread. In my experience the P5 are not in the same game.

Not at all. People are after all rocking Neon Beats these days

Would point out unless you buy second hand or cash in vouchers then neither the M500 or Mo are cheaper online so you might as well demo in store and support local business. Not sure if the M500 part-exchange is still in effect actually, Custom Cable were knocking £50 off when you hand in old cans

Depends also what kind of commuting. I think with this category they drown out conversation and tannoy announcements fine. It is mechanical engine or train track noise they cannot compete with. There is a risk you turn volume up too high to compensate. For commuting I prefer my iem

Not at all. People are after all rocking Neon Beats these days

Would point out unless you buy second hand or cash in vouchers then neither the M500 or Mo are cheaper online so you might as well demo in store and support local business. Not sure if the M500 part-exchange is still in effect actually, Custom Cable were knocking £50 off when you hand in old cans

Depends also what kind of commuting. I think with this category they drown out conversation and tannoy announcements fine. It is mechanical engine or train track noise they cannot compete with. There is a risk you turn volume up too high to compensate. For commuting I prefer my iem

Hi thanks for the heads up. Do you work at custom cable? Thinking of popping down to demo the sennheisers and p5

No but I do live nearby so it is handy to have a local resource. Note that Sennheiser have announced the smaller momentum on ear. If you give it to September for shops to get it in then you can demo that for size and sound vs big brother too

No but I do live nearby so it is handy to have a local resource. Note that Sennheiser have announced the smaller momentum on ear. If you give it to September for shops to get it in then you can demo that for size and sound vs big brother too

Thanks. Do custom cable have a large variety of headphones for demo? Or would you recommend another shop?

Apart from national chains (super fi, richer sounds, John Lewis, apple stores)

I personally know of custom cable, hifiheadphones and handheldaudio

That is like asking McDonalds or Burger King. Make demo appointment enquiries based on availability and selection of what interests you. Email / phone a retailer and ask how they can accommodate you.

If you are asking about service have not had issues myself

If you're London direction.... downstairs of Selfridges is also pretty good. Make sure you take your dap/ipod/phone though as you gotta connect your own source.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom