Headphones for use at the office

Spangle2k5

Novice Member
As the title says really.

I work in a shared office and want to play music at reasonable volumes without disturbing my colleagues.

All of the headphones that I know of are open-backed and therefore no use to me, which is a shame because I would love some SR-80s!

Budget can be as more or as little as needed, but I would rather not spend silly money as ultimately the source will be a PC (SB X-Fi) and they will be left in the office, I still want some fidelity though :)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Canti1982

I had exactly the same issue and looked and looked but could not find any cans that were suitable and sounded good. In the end I just went out and bought what I really wanted, some Grado SR60 and I have no regrets at all (except maybe that I cant play them a bit louder).

The other reason I like the grados is that they are actually very comfortable and light. Being open backed can also be of benefit when someone in the studio is shouting across the room at me.

If you find anything out there then Im sure people would be interested in your findings :)

Spangle2k5

Novice Member
How much sound do the SR60s really make for those around then? I don't mind playing a bit quieter as a trade-off for having what I want.

A colleague of mine has the Beyer DT770s which he seems to play pretty loud and no sound leaks at all. These are well over £100 and are designed for studio use, they are well insulated from the outside world, though.

Canti1982

They do leak a fair amount so I have to set the volume slightly off what I would like.

Nobody has commented on them yet so maybe I will up it a bit ;)

I really dont know what I would buy otherwise, I like you looked for ages and could not come up with much. There is certainly room for a product that sounds and feels as good as the grado's and does not leak so much sound.

mattski73

Novice Member
it's seems recently that all i've been talkiing about is the Sennheiser HD25-1's and for a good reason. the cans are not full size as such, they have great noise canceling abilities even though they're not noise canceling headphones, they sound great (after all the RRP is around £160).

i believe that sound leakage is down to how high you have the volume. whether open or closed, if you jam it up, everyone will hear.

http://www.rebelio.co.uk/app/urwfilter/catalog/do/action/ShowProductDetail/productId/27016/sname/_HD_25_1_Black/index.html

if you get them buy a pair of velour earpads, your ears won't sweat, plus they feel lovely.

http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/23016/Sennheiser+HD25+Velour+Earpads.htm

with that said, SR60 is a stunning performer http://www.iheadphones.co.uk/headphones/19571/Grado+SR+60.htm

once again i advice you swap the earpads for a pair of sennheiser HD414's eardpads. http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/5386

Canti1982

I did try some HD25's and oddly did not find them as comfortable as the Grado's. I guess its down to personal preference.

mattski73

Novice Member
I did try some HD25's and oddly did not find them as comfortable as the Grado's. I guess its down to personal preference.
in what way? some have trouble with the clamping effect, but as i realised when i was in hospital visiting my wife, i couldn't here a thing. noise canceling effect, without the stupid technology!

Do they have to be over ears? The Senn HD280 pro's aren't bad either for closed back but if not over ears you could get some shure e3c's, etc

Spangle2k5

Novice Member
I went down to Leicester Hi Fi on saturday to do a spot of listening and walked away with the Sennheiser HD215.

The choice of closed headphones was not vast, but I found these to offer a surprisingly extended bass response and dig out arguable as much detail as I enjoy over the loudspeakers. A very pleasing listen and a sound not entirely unlike my B&W CM1s.

Listening at not-too-loud volumes results in no leakage (I have the benefit of air con whirring which deadens things further), whilst still retaining plenty of detail. Noise from the office in general is reduced very effictively with these phones on, meaning lower volumes can be used and clarity retained.

I tried the SR60s from Grado (which are what I really want) and only then did I really appreciate how much sound these really block out.

I tried the HD25s but found the bass to be non-existant and the sound deadening not quite as good. Based on this I didn't really give them enough of a chance to impress me elsewhere, as I had already assessed them not to be right for my needs.

Loud listening will disturb others around you, but if you are reasonable these are spot on, especially when you consider how cheap they are! I paid £54, but looking online you can pick them up for £40 (I value being able to listen, I feel I have saved £££s by not buying something I wouldn't like).

As an aside, these phones seem to be pretty sensitive too, so you can drive them easily from a PC headphone jack.

If anyone is in the Wellingborough area and fancies giving these a listen, just drop us a PM and we can sort something out.

whitesnake11

As the title says really.

I work in a shared office and want to play music at reasonable volumes without disturbing my colleagues.

All of the headphones that I know of are open-backed and therefore no use to me, which is a shame because I would love some SR-80s!

Budget can be as more or as little as needed, but I would rather not spend silly money as ultimately the source will be a PC (SB X-Fi) and they will be left in the office, I still want some fidelity though :)

Thanks in advance for your help!
Try Shure E2c's or if your budget go's a little further try Shure SE310, Shure make quality earbuds, I own a pair and wouldn't use anything else:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Reported HDMI 2.1 bugs, Audiolab Amp & LG LED Projector reviews + Best of the Month
Top Bottom