1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Headphones for the Gym...

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by dolph, Jan 24, 2005.

1. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    ...there's been a couple of posts along this line that I've found but just hoping for an answer on a more specific question.

Not really looking to spend too much and have been looking at the Sony MDR-G74SL's or the Sennheiser PMX40's or PMX60's

Does anyone have any views on these - comfort / sound quality / stability (stay on your head...!)

Or anyone have any alternatives in this price range - £20-£25

Thanks in advance

Andrew.

2. RichB14

RichB14

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
  3. JUS

JUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +211
  4. johnnycab

johnnycab

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Andrew - I faced a similar dilemma after trying a whole range of Sony & Senn's, and invested in a pair of Shure E2c (cost around £50 from ebay) - they are definitely worth it.

The E2c are a good compromise for the gym and will withstand a lot of punishment. They also kill all external noise i.e. someone thumping their feet on the treadmill or grunting whilst lifting those weights - they probably should not etc. And especially the suspect music that is pumped in most gym's across the country.

The bass is just right, and they do not pop out of your ears - if you are used to doing a lot of cardio. They sound fantastic with my old MD player, the 4G ipod and new NW3. I am never going back to any of the cheaper alternatives or using the stock phones ever!

5. Terry101

Terry101

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think clip-on earphones would be the best for you >> Sony MDR-EX81SL <<, since most other earphones would just fall off as soon as I start running and that's not the only problem i have, but also my sweat would actually soak my earphones. Sony MDR-EX81SL has removeable ear-canal part and you can kind of rinse it with water to clean off the sweat.
    Hopefully this can help you. :thumbsup:

6. superpixel

superpixel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    heh, this is an interesting one (in a way that only avforum can make it interesting!)

i was looking for some gym phones a few months back...i forget all the model numbers and the such - in the end I tried some Sony clip ons....by clip on I mean each earpiece has a plastic 'arm' that clips behind your ear, and it hangs there - no band connecting the two earpieces

anyway, it just felt silly, and they fell off constantly....even when standing still its hard to balance them! my sister and friend tried them too, they found it hilarious trying to wear them! so unless youve got a magically shaped ear, id avoid clip-ons. oh, and the tangle of the cables was incredible..

Everyone seems to be wearing Philips/Nike ones with a neckband, and they seem to stay put despite them pounding the treadmill! thats what im gonna get now, anyway

7. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Well in the end I actually went for......

The Sony MDR-G74SL's (neckband style).

Having had a little test despite the sound superiority of inner ear headphones the just didn't feel right when running.

8. Funky

Funky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    These headphones are really great. The over the ear design takes all the weight of the cords off the actual ear piece. I use them with my Ipod and have to say the sound quality is the best you will get. I would reccomend them to anyone who doesn't have small ears. They do a excellect job blocking external noise, and reproduce sounds as accurately as you could hope. :thumbsup:

9. Porrm

Porrm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Are these available in the uk yet?

10. M0SNR

M0SNR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'd seriously suggest having a listen to the B&O headphones - they also fit around the ear, are really well made, comfortable and sound fantastic - RRP is about £80 but they are worth the extra and they are fine for use on the treadmill - they don't keep dropping off

Cheers

11. Funky

Funky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    You can order them from some online store in US.