Headphones for series X

I recently purchased the 7X headset. I enjoy how light and “loose” they are on my head. They are designed to be like this but I can understand how others may feel they are perhaps too loose. Great sounding headphones though. Very happy with them.

Just need to work out how to connect them to the Arctis Engine on the laptop to configure the sound.

I have the 1X Wireless and haven't been able to get the Engine software to recognise the headset on my laptop. Even when connected via USB.

You need to plug in the dongle, not the headset itself. Switch the headset on and it’ll connect to the PC.

I have the 1X Wireless and haven't been able to get the Engine software to recognise the headset on my laptop. Even when connected via USB.
You need to plug in the dongle, not the headset itself. Switch the headset on and it’ll connect to the PC.
Remember to flick the switch on dongle to USB if it was on Xbox :)

Ahhhh of course! I was plugging the headset in directly via micro-usb. Thanks chaps!

I did the same thing and nearly raised a support ticket asking why it wouldn’t pick up the headset. I wonder how many people would think to go for plugging in the dongle first like we did.

I don’t think I could own any other gaming headset after trying the Audeze Mobius/Penrose. They’re leagues ahead of anything I’ve heard.

Ok...I’m getting fed up with my Arctis 7X headphones

This is now the 4th time I’ve had to get off my fat arse and pull the dongle USB out the back, of my Series X, then plug it back in for Audio to play into my headphones! Not happy at this....

This is now the 4th time I’ve had to get off my fat arse and pull the dongle USB out the back, of my Series X, then plug it back in for Audio to play into my headphones! Not happy at this....
Never experienced this yet. Hopefully never will. Any idea as to what the problem is? Just googled this and it seems to be a problem with the configuration between the new style controllers and the series x. dunno how this effects the headphones though 🤷🏼‍♂️

Last edited:
No idea Paulie

I’ve had a reply from Steelseries and they are sending me out a new Dongle.

Have had no issues with connection on my Arctis 7x so hopefully it’s just a dodgy dongle, think they’re a lovely set of headphones.

My Series X doesn’t connect with the dongle immediately once I turn the headset on. I need to flick over to USB and back to Xbox for it to pick up the headset.

After spending quite a bit of time reading yesterday, I think I’ll keep an eye out for a set of Tygr 300r’s to come into stock, then move on my Arctis 7X’s. No idea how long that’ll take though as it doesn’t look like they come into stock often, then sell out quickly when they do.

I did the same thing and nearly raised a support ticket asking why it wouldn’t pick up the headset. I wonder how many people would think to go for plugging in the dongle first like we did.
I’ve been doing this with the Arctis 9x is there a dongle ?

I’ve been doing this with the Arctis 9x is there a dongle ?

The 7X has a dongle but doesn’t the 9X connect directly to the Xbox?

The 7X has a dongle but doesn’t the 9X connect directly to the Xbox?
Yeah but as above cannot connect to the steel series engine with the cable. Mac or pc don’t recognise it

Yeah but as above cannot connect to the steel series engine with the cable. Mac or pc don’t recognise it
As the 9X use direct connection to the Xbox you need the Xbox for Windows 10 accessory/dongle to connect it to the PC.

I've had this too on my Arctis 1s. The fix seems to be flicking to USB and then back to Xbox but it's still a ballache.

Never had any issues with my Arctis 7x's not connecting, I turn the headset on and it connects to the dongle and a pop up on Xbox says headset connected. I do game on a monitor so distance between the headset and dongle is small. I also only have a Sata SSD plugged into my Xbox nothing else, I use rechargeable batteries with controller.

One nitpick from me on the Arctis 1 wireless set is that everytime it connects, I need to reset the game/chat mixer. It's not saved...probably should be the Xbox itself that saves it but doesn't.

One nitpick from me on the Arctis 1 wireless set is that everytime it connects, I need to reset the game/chat mixer. It's not saved...probably should be the Xbox itself that saves it but doesn't.

I have the wireless too, and connected them to the controller and changed the chat mixer then unplugged it. Settings remain the same until I plug them back in again to adjust as they are greyed out when in wireless mode.

As the 9X use direct connection to the Xbox you need the Xbox for Windows 10 accessory/dongle to connect it to the PC.
Instructions online state to just use the cable that comes with the headset to connect which I have done and it doesn’t recognise

anyone with the arctis 9x have this issue ?

I have the wireless too, and connected them to the controller and changed the chat mixer then unplugged it. Settings remain the same until I plug them back in again to adjust as they are greyed out when in wireless mode.

You connect to the controller how? Via a 3.5mm cable? Will give it a go...

You connect to the controller how? Via a 3.5mm cable? Will give it a go...

Indeed sir. There was one that comes in the box, but yeah, you can set the mixer within the Xbox then and it'll remember once unplugged.

Indeed sir. There was one that comes in the box, but yeah, you can set the mixer within the Xbox then and it'll remember once unplugged.
No. You use a micro usb lead such as the one you use to charge the headset and plug into the USB port on the computer. A audio jack cable can’t do it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom