louisg

My Turtle Beach X07 are on there last legs.
What headphones does anyone recommend for the series x. Around £70 or under.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
Well if you can stretch a bit further Steelseries not long ago launched a new Xbox set the Arctis 1 wireless Xbox edition. I got some for my son for his birthday but they are about £99.

They can also be used on PS4, Switch, PC etc as have a dongle to connect to a USB port, but to make them work with Xbox (unlike the standard Steelseries 1 wireless set) the Xbox version has a switch on the dongle to change to xbox or USB for everythign else. Xbox uses different Blutooth tech i gather, hence need specific Xbox ones.

They work great as have Steelseries' multi award winning audio and give compatavility for many devices and build quality is clear to see so will last the test of time.

Nukleuz

any other than turtle beach!
My kids have gone through 2 pairs as they're not very durable.

Steelseries have good reviews.

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
any other than turtle beach!
My kids have gone through 2 pairs as they're not very durable.

Steelseries have good reviews.

Yeah agree TB have gone downhill over the years. I still have a set of X41's I bought about 10 years ago. Excellent, insanely comfortable and good build quality. My son has gone through about 3 sets of more recent TB's and they are so plasticy and flimsy it's beyond belief and they're not worth the prices they charge. Also the fixed arm mic is useless as doesn't pick up well and can't be moved nearer the mouth.

As for Steelseries, yes they have won numerous headset awards across all platforms for good reason. I got myself a set of Arctis 9X just before Christmas and they are brilliant. The sound quality and scape is brilliant. They cost more though, hence when the Xbox version of the Arctis 1 wireless came out it was perfect for my son who also has a switch they work with too.

JusR23

I’m torn between the Astro A50’s or the Arctis 9X for an upgrade from my Turtle Beach Recon 70’s. Both are a massive upgrade to the recons so I know either will be better...I’m stuck 😐

batfinkus

I’m torn between the Astro A50’s or the Arctis 9X for an upgrade from my Turtle Beach Recon 70’s. Both are a massive upgrade to the recons so I know either will be better...I’m stuck 😐
While I can’t say anything about the arctis I have the Astro A50 and they are brilliant,great sound out of them and extremely comfy to wear for extended periods of time,astros website says a firmware update they will work on series S/X as there’s no optical out on the new ones - and on a plus I discovered if get the Xbox/PC version and plug them into the PlayStation 4 in Pc mode they work on it too :thumbsup:

Nemesis X2

Distinguished Member
I have the Arctis 9X and they are stunning. Also of note they have blutooth connectivity so you can link to Xbox and phone or whatever at the same time.

Tazza84

Standard Member
I know you said no turtlebeach but I’ve just had the new stealth 700x gen 2’s. I’m impressed so far seem really well made and connect directly to the Xbox. Also slightly off topic but have any of you tried the Dolby atmos Xbox app?

Meridius

Dont expect the arctis 9X to work to well with IOS13/14 devices i have had mine since ios12 which worked fine until ios13/14. the notifications no longer work and i have been in contact with SteelSeries for 6 months about it and they promised me a firmware fix for the headset and i am still waiting. I will never buy another steel series product again as they just say anything and fix nothing.

I just bought a pair of stealth 700x gen 2’s. as i wanted Bluetooth to work so when i game i can get calls or texts alerts but like i said this does not work anymore on a ios 13/14 devices, it did on ios12.

there bunch of jokers.

JusR23

Thanks guys I think I’m going to go for the Arctis. I never realised the Series X didn’t have an optical out. The syncing of the Arctis does make it simpler to use and being able to hook my phone up to means I don’t have to take my headset off mid game to answer the phone.
Been an expensive month as I had to buy a new tv to go with the Series X (Told the Mrs our current tv wouldn’t work with it lol) 😂

Meridius

I know you said no turtlebeach but I’ve just had the new stealth 700x gen 2’s. I’m impressed so far seem really well made and connect directly to the Xbox. Also slightly off topic but have any of you tried the Dolby atmos Xbox app?

I have it made the arctic 9x sound better as it added more depth. the only problem i have with the app that sometimes it reverts back to the original sound settings and i have to run the app over again and its a pain as it does this randomly, i am not to sure if its the headset causing this or not or the app or the xbox.

Dazimus

Distinguished Member
I thought Turtle Beach was known for being cheap and really poor quality, I’m surprised to see so many people still using it. Maybe they’ve gotten better over time?

Meridius

I sent the stealth 700x first gen back last year because of poor build quality, the sound was excellent but the whole headset felt cheap. I bought the SteelSeries 9x instead and loved them that's until they stopped working with ios devices above iso 13 for notifications.

I just bought the stealth 700x gen 2’s and will see what there build quality are like but some YouTube video review seem to say they have upped their game in build quality.

daymouse

Distinguished Member
Remember having some Turtle Beach back in the day and you had to be in direct line of sight of the transmitter as is sent the signal through IR

ManBat2020

Standard Member
The nice thing about the 600/700 is that you can use them to connect with your PC via the Xbox Wireless protocol via the Xbox Wireless USB transmitter as I understand it, which makes them useful for PC gaming/skyping too?

Without BT 5.2 support, we can't have nice audio quality while using the BT headset profile, that reverts to SBC from AAC, which sounds awful.

Will be very intersting to hear what you think about the 700 gen 2. I'm also very curious about what they sound like with Atmos enabled not only for games, but also for movies.

ManBat2020

Standard Member
I went ahead and ordered the 700 gen 2 after watching this review (...good fit for glasses sold me). Have no Xbox, but will try Windows Sonic with the xbox wireless dongle on my HTPC once they arrive.

Meridius

Getting mine tomorrow. I have the artic 9x to compare as well

Tazza84

Standard Member
Getting mine tomorrow. I have the artic 9x to compare as well
Nice one give us a review when you get time. I haven’t tried my 700x gen 2 yet but will do tomorrow. I’m going to get the Dolby atmos app free trial too see if there’s any difference between atmos and windows sonic.

Meridius

Yep will do. I have the atmos app already as well

A Grumpy OAP

...I’m going to get the Dolby atmos app free trial too see if there’s any difference between atmos and windows sonic.

I tried both on my Stealth 600 and Atmos sounded far better - to my ears at least. It was worth the 14 bucks as it was like having a new set of headphones.
Tempted with the Arctis as a birthday pressie next month though.

Meridius

If you want to use the Arctic 9x with Apple devices with iOS 13/14 and Bluetooth notifications don’t bother they no longer work. Herd Android is ok.

louisg

Thanks for reply everyone. That’s damn shame the Arctis 9x don’t work with iOS14. This is a deal breaker for me. As would really like the Bluetooth functionality.

amardilo

Distinguished Member
Can anyone recommend a headset (with mic) that are over the ear headphones (I find on ear ones hurt my ears)?

I want to use it for Xbox and PlayStation. I really don't want to spend more than £150. Wirecutter seems to recommend the HyperX Cloud. I like the look of the HyperX Cloud Alpha S but not sure what the ear cup size is.

STANNY08

Can anyone recommend a headset (with mic) that are over the ear headphones (I find on ear ones hurt my ears)?

I want to use it for Xbox and PlayStation. I really don't want to spend more than £150. Wirecutter seems to recommend the HyperX Cloud. I like the look of the HyperX Cloud Alpha S but not sure what the ear cup size is.

If your looking at getting a headset that just plugs into the controller and uses the consoles surround sound setting, I'd stop looking at gaming headsets and just buy a good set of stereo headphones with a mic. You tend to get much better quality for the price. I bought the Philips SHP9500, and v-moda boom pro mic a few years ago, and they are better than any gaming headset I've had in the past. Think the cost totaled about 140 quid, so cheaper than the Astros I used to have, and the turtle beachs but sound far better. Obviously missing some of the gaming centric features those headsets had, like the "enhanced footstep" settings or whatever they were, but I'm hearing games add the developer intended them at really good quality.

The Phillips have been around years now, so dunno if they even still do those, but definitely worth looking into good none gaming stereo headphones.

SourKraut

Very expensive, but just wondered if anyone has come across these?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sony announces A90J UK/EU price and March availability
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 27th February 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Musical Fidelity launches M3x Vinyl phono stage
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
SVS launches 1000 Pro Series subwoofers