Headphones for Portable Devices (not in-ear)

R

rp92

Hi guys,
I'm looking for a new pair of open headphones, not in-ear, so Shure, Etymotic and the like are out of the game for me. Also, I'm going to use them uniquely with portable devices (Sony D-NE1 and looking forward to replace my just-sent-back Sony NW-HD5), so I need a very good efficiency.

I've been reading of the Sennheiser PX100 and they seems pretty good, but never tried them. Do they sound as good as it seems ?

Usually I don't appreciate much closed-type headphones, but I've been reading good of the Sennheiser PX200 as well and would be interested in understanding how much real and not-bloated is their "slight emphasis on the bass" (would be perhaps beneficial with the HD5, see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223221).

Any hint on these two and also any competitor would be greeeeeeeeeatly appreciated

THX
Peppe

rp92 said:
Hi guys,
I'm looking for a new pair of open headphones, not in-ear, so Shure, Etymotic and the like are out of the game for me. Also, I'm going to use them uniquely with portable devices (Sony D-NE1 and looking forward to replace my just-sent-back Sony NW-HD5), so I need a very good efficiency.

I've been reading of the Sennheiser PX100 and they seems pretty good, but never tried them. Do they sound as good as it seems ?

Usually I don't appreciate much closed-type headphones, but I've been reading good of the Sennheiser PX200 as well and would be interested in understanding how much real and not-bloated is their "slight emphasis on the bass" (would be perhaps beneficial with the HD5, see http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=223221).

Any hint on these two and also any competitor would be greeeeeeeeeatly appreciated

THX
Peppe

Now onto my 2nd pair of PX100 and would recommend them unreservedly. At the price of £24 they are a snip. See http://www.unbeatable.co.uk

Ok guys, thanks for these first comments. So Sennheiser PX100 and Koss KSC75 so far.

In your opinion, which of these two better compensate the problem I've outlined with the Sony NW-HD5 (bass loss) ?

Also, consider the HD5 comes with an under-the-average max output volume (indeed users that wants must perform a hack with the hidden system menu to bring it a little bit up). So, which of the two you think would result more efficient with such a portable device considering that I'm not willing to carry any amp with me ? (Keep in mind that I come from the PX10 ...)

The Porta Pros sell for £50ish in the UK... too much for what they are.

However it would probably compensate for bass loss to a certain extent. Having had the D-NE1, a bloated, somewhat incoherent bass would be what you're presumably looking for in which case the Portapro might be just the ticket. It may not be quite as bloated as you're looking for, but it may be enough. The PX100 is worth looking at too due to it's increased bass.

However it might be worth noting that any alternative player you might have picked, if it's something like an iRiver or iAudio would be able to match (and in some cases exceed) the D-NE1 in bass volume and incoherency at '2'.

I'd just get 'em from the US. With the dollar what it is, you'd get 'em cheaper than that.

I have to admit that at a good price the PortaPro are quite attractive. How "convenient" is the "convenient carrying case" mentioned in the product details ? If not that convenient, unless a big SQ difference, I'd go with the PX100 'cause of my constant packing & travelling and the PX100 have that nice foldable mechanism that should fit perfectly in a trolley (or is the PortaPro carrying good as well ?)

By the way, more than this, I'm wondering what the efficiency would be with such kind of 'phones with a portable, notably low output volume, device like the HD5.

Do you know which of the specs of such a headphone can affect more the efficiency ? E.g., might that 60ohm impedance result in a even lower output volume with the HD5 ?
Peppe

I listened to a pair of Px100 in the apple shop on saturday connected to an ipod and thought the sound quality was excellant particularly the bass. :thumbsup:

I opted for the mx500 (in ear) for conveniance that way the whole lot fits in my trouser pocket didnt sound as good but puts the free ones that come with ipod to shame.

stealther said:
I listened to a pair of Px100 in the apple shop on saturday connected to an ipod and thought the sound quality was excellant particularly the bass. :thumbsup:

I opted for the mx500 (in ear) for conveniance that way the whole lot fits in my trouser pocket didnt sound as good but puts the free ones that come with ipod to shame.

Nice comment ;)

So you're saying that you didn't notice and difference in output volume when using the PX100 and the MX500 ? Between the two there's a difference of 11db in the SPL, roughly the same that there's between the PX100 and the PortaPro (but the former have 32ohm impedance while the latter have 60) ...

Peppe

rp92 said:
Nice comment ;)

So you're saying that you didn't notice and difference in output volume when using the PX100 and the MX500 ? Between the two there's a difference of 11db in the SPL, roughly the same that there's between the PX100 and the PortaPro (but the former have 32ohm impedance while the latter have 60) ...

Peppe

Bass is better with the px100 but you do lose some sound with them as they are not in ear. I have found you have to turn the volume up quite a lot which of course annoys anyone sitting next to you. With the MX500 what you lose in bass you make up in volume levels plus they dont hurt your ears. Now available in white if you have an i-pod.

rp92 said:
Nice comment ;)

Peppe

I didnt compare the two at all actually. I compared the MX500 to the free ipod ones which were a lot better all round if no louder.

Didnt think there was a point as you said you werent looking for in ear. Also couldnt crank the volume up as the ipod was in a display case and using the touch wheel was extremely difficult.

I use mine on a very busy commute and thankfully find the volume more than adequate for drowning out the school children.

If the overall sound quality is the top priority over praticality and cost then I suggest you try ansd audition your shortlist.

I new I wasnt buying the best headphones in the world not even in the shop. But I made the decision based on my needs.

I was just trying to add some information to the thread that I had listened to them on a portable device and found them to be excellant.

stealther said:
I was just trying to add some information to the thread that I had listened to them on a portable device and found them to be excellant.

And that I appreciate a lot :thumbsup:

It's an important info in itself the fact that they sounded excellent with the iPod :)

Peppe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom