Headphones for notebook PC?

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by skyscaper, Mar 19, 2006.

1. skyscaper

skyscaper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Currently use PX100s, but want to find something more hi-fi for remastering live recordings on my PC without having to hook it up to my Cyrus/ProAc system.

Am considering DT880s from eBay, but I guess they wouldn't shine when plugged into my notebook's headphone socket. Don't really want to have to get a headphone amp, since this would likely cost as much as, if not more than, the headphones themeselves!

Any recommendations would be welcome :lease:.

2. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Hi - I think the Beyers might struggle as they have a relatively high impedance of 250ohms - to run directly from your PC I believe a low impedance can would be more desirable - Sennheiser HD25 are 70ohms and the Grado SR80 are only 32ohms - thats my understanding of the impedance issue (if Im wrong you're sure to read it here shortly:))
    Paul

3. skyscaper

skyscaper
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I thought the impedence might be an issue. The HD25s look a little small on the ears compared with the Grados.

4. PaulBoy

PaulBoy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    Never tried the 25s but they do look a bit smaller - some people have "comfort" issues with the Grados & they are not immediately comfortable like the velour padded Senns & Beyers but IMHO the sound of the Grados is worth a little bit of "tweaking" to get the comfort right - I'm sure there will be Senn circumaural cans with low impedance if thats what you'd prefer (?)
    Paul ;)
    PS - HD595's are 50ohm IIRC