Headphones for music and gaming

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by GuitarGuy, Dec 28, 2011.

1. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Ok so I'm getting an Asus xonar xense sound card, really nice high quality card, leaves me with 100 quid for a headset and mic, what do you guys reccommend?

The sound card does all the fancy positional audio and stuff, I considered the senheiser pc350's bundled with it but reviews say the bass is lacking which is a problem for me as I like dubstep..... Any advice would be appreciated.

2. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Also external to that price, I'd love to be able to connect the headset to a ps3 as well if it's possible!

3. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,608
    i would probably say youre best bet is to give the PC350's a listen to see what you think, if they are lacking in bass, flog them for as much as you can and add them to your £100 for a really decent pair o cans :)

:smashin:

4. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    If I get the pc350's in the bundle with the card I wouldent have that extra 100. It's one or the other.

5. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,608
  6. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    They look good but again seem to be troubled by slightly lacking bass... What if I was to wait an extra month to the beginning of march to buy? Then I'd have 180 to spend, any better reccomesations?

7. mooperman

mooperman
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,608
    i think the beats by Dr Dre are supposed to be bassey but the reading ive done suggests they are slightly over priced.

Other than that, i'm really not sure, i'm sure someone else will be along to help shortly though. :)

8. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Cheers, and no from the reading I've done they're garbage. I took a listen to a pair in hmv and it was just mud.... I do want strong bass, but not at the cost of clarity, I
    Want strong defined bass, not just wobble. Plus the beats weren't comfortable for me, after 10 minuets I just wanted rid of them.

9. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Bump!

10. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Anyone? (ps tried out some senheiser hd650's today in the local hifi store, blew me away!)

11. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    A soundcard isn't good enough for them, and they need decent amping.

12. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Really? Not even if I get em at a steal for just 120 plus trade in of my current headphones?

13. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Also the amp on the card will run headsets up to 600 ohm so I don't think it'll be a problem.

Edit: but if you disagree that's fine but I need help here as to where to go to! I've just seen the external Asus xonar one. It's an amazing external headphone DAC unit. Totally separate. It's up there with 8-900 quid external sound cards. But I think it's about 300 itself.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  14. Drubbing

Drubbing

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +159
    Getting them cheap isn't the same as running them properly. They're high end headphones, they need quality source and amp if you want to hear them as you probably heard them in a store - where they won't skimp on the back up gear for auditions.

Just cos it's rated for 600 ohms doesn't tell you a thing about how well they'll do it.

Don't fall for the giant killer cliche - it's one of the biggest in audio. You don't get 1000 quid gear for 300. yes, it'll be a decent card. But not 1000 quids worth. For 300 there are plenty of other proven DAC/amps out there, you just need to look.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  15. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I have been but I still dunno..... I mean have you seen the Asus xonar essence ST? That's the card I'm going to get because the xense isn't available without the pc350's. And even still won't it sound better than a lesser headphone on the same card? Leaves me an upgrade path when things get a little easier money wise.

16. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,509
    There are so many all-in-one DACs and headphone amps in the sub-£500 bracket it is unreal. How hard can you have been looking? As well as buying separate a DAC and amp separately of course

Too numerous to list, better off deciding on individual requirements and narrowing down from therein

17. ClimacticCoda

ClimacticCoda
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As has been mentioned, the Essence ST will not be enough to fully drive the 650s so you can't expect to get all that they have to offer. Depending on your exact needs, budget and preferences you can either go with that card and choose a pair of headphones that it can drive properly, thus getting the most out of that particular setup, or you're going to have to invest more to get something like the 650s to run properly. A good amp and DAC will definitely be a must.

18. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    What about that card with the pc 360's?

19. Littleted@gmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    agree with the Dre headphones, I also went to HMV and tested them all up to that rediculious 360 quid pair i used both the HMV supplied soundtrack and my iphone, and i personally think shockingly poor headphones for that Money sounded very dull.

Anyway onto your question, if its for gaming them i bought a pair of Plantronics 777 cheap and do dolby gives you that edge in games, I then bought a pair of SHURE 840s for the Music they cost about 125 quid, they will however do for both.

But bare in Mind you may need a MIC at somepoint and the 40 quid Plantronics are not only dolby 5.1 but also have a MIC and are perfect for gaming sound very good,

id still go for 2

20. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Have you seen the pc 360 headset? Has the mic built in, can do Dolby headphone and also is not at all bad for music?

21. Littleted@gmail

[email protected]

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    ive just looked i bet they are very very nice, the only thing i noticed was that, does that Mic fold away. I oresume it folds upright

The good thing about the Plantronics, is the Mic actually folds into the headband and is Invisible once there.
    but that aside, the 360s do look like the best at the moment, if that Mic is ok where it is for you.

One thing also i think to gain dolby well on mine anyway it uses a USB dongle, that you plug in the Phono lead, it then gives the full depth of sound, I have to say even on my laptop if i switch to misuc and then dolby it sounds nice, even though it wont be in the correct format etc.

I presume the 360s are the same and either use a dongle or some fancy splitter to gain the 7.1

22. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    I'm not fussed about the mic, the mic on my razer megalodon is very similar.

As for 7.1, from unboxing videos there doesn't appear to be anything. Like that, wouldent that be processed by the sound card.....?

Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  23. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Little update from my reading and research. I plan on using the optical out from my sound card into a optical switch box (other input being the ps3) then the switchbox's output being an astro mix amp 5.8. Then the senheiser headset with the mix amp, from optical it will give me surround sound via Dolby headphone from the optical. Which is great. I can turn it off easily for music to keep it simple and hq. has bass boost for music too. Plus it won't matter that it's wireless to me as I'll be at my desk anyway so it'll be plugged in via USB. Any thoughts?

24. TheNameIsJambo

TheNameIsJambo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,696
    If you need a closed back solution, the Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro/80 Ohm are perfect for gaming and music. If you need a mic, buy a clip-on.

It is literally all you need... :smashin:

I finally got a pair for Xmas. I had the 32 Ohm set before, but these are a fair bit bassier, which really helps immerse you in the experience.

I'm a PC gamer though, so I just use the Xonar's built in EAX decoding abilities.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2012
  25. GuitarGuy

GuitarGuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +290
    Does the essence st have eax? :s also is there any difference in sound quality between mobo and a dedicated card for optical? I'm gonna stick with the 360's there's a good looking one for the 80/90 pound mark on our forums so what more could I ask for. They're about 4 months old.