Headphones for movies with surround

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by paultys, Feb 19, 2012.

1. paultys

paultys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi All,

I have an entry home cinema set up which I love but due to recent events with the neighbours I need to tone down my late night listening.

Im only interested in movies, and I would like surround. I have been reading a bit and I know there are opinions our there that say you cannot achieve surround through headphones. Fair enough but Im willing to take the chance and I would like to hear about headphones that have surround processing (or claim to).

I dont care about wired or wireless, I wont be wandering round the house listening to movies!!

My budget is up to £150 but ideally less than that.

So please Id love to hear your suggestions

2. Quaddy

Quaddy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +303
    i know nothing about this area, but...coincidentally, i saw this whilst browsing on amazon, i added to my wish list as am somewhat interested in this also

i realize this is just part solution!

plus this reply, subscribes me also, so i can see what others suggest :)

3. paultys

paultys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
  4. paultys

paultys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well, at first glance they are pretty good. As expected there is no-where near the same degree of directionality as you get with a 5.1 or 7.1 speaker set up. But there is definitely a good left right and rear effect. The front channel works less well as it still sounds like the sound arrives from your forehead.

But, the big plus is the clarrity. Its made me realise how quiet I have to have my amp and its normally so quiet that I miss a lot of detail which I can get through the cans. Its also quite an immersive experience, yes it doesnt relate to the position of the screen as well as a good centre speaker, but once you relax and get into it, and stop trying to work out if it is working it not it does draw you into a different way of listening that is quite captivating.

Dont get me wrong, it doesnt compare to a good 7.1 speaker set up played at a good volume, but that is the point, if you, like me are in a situation where you cant play at decent volumes then this is a great alternative. It stops me having to sit with a remote in my hand trying to anticipate the next gun shot and not really getting into my films because of worry and lets you turn it up, hear every detail and not worry about the neighbors/kids/wife.

They are also very comfortable, lightweight and cosy. I wouldnt say I completely forgot I was wearing them but they certainly didnt bother me. (I only had them on for an hour tonight though).

So yeah, all in all I would thoroughly reccomend for someone wanting to enjoy films, with some degree of surround an excellent sound quality and detail and at high volumes they are great!

Any questions just ask.

5. paultys

paultys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Ok, so they are so comfy i forgot I was wearing them. I just watched the first hour of avatar (not seen it before) and got totally immersed and forgot I had the cans on. Your brain is very clever at putting vision and audio together and once you get into it its great. Again not the same as a speaker set-up on good volume but really enjoyed my first night with my new cans, and I havent p**sed anyone off!!

6. maverick177uk

maverick177uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,535
    Just a question on these, do they play Dts and DOlby digital. Also how do you hook them up I see they have an optical input do you feed it from your amp or use a optical splitter?

7. paultys

paultys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi, yes they do DTS, and Dolby Digital 5.1 and PLIIx. A light indicates which source is being received. There are also analogue inputs.

Its an optical connection and you could do either. My amp doesnt have an optical out so I split from my Blu ray player and another from my sky box. I then have a cheap optical switch to select the source for the headphones.

I continue to be very pleased with them. I have recently been watching the Alien Anthology on Blu-ray and normally I have to have the volume so low that it misses much on the detail and particularly the jumpy bit but Ive really enjoyed it with the headphones on a high volume.

As Ive mentioned previously the rear and left/right effects are very good, but the front effects do sound like they are coming from just in front of your head as opposed to the screen. However, if you stop actively thinking about where the sound is coming from and just relax I find it very immersive and great for watching films late at night.

Hope that helps and if you have any other questions just shout

8. 88mph

88mph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    So can I just connect the optical cable (coaxial) directly from my Blu Ray player to the headphone dock? Without any amp involved?

9. paultys

paultys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Yes, the amplification is done by the headphones

10. Curacao

Curacao
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I know this is an older post but I happen to be considering these headphones.
    Another pair I am considering are the Sennheiser RS170.
    Does anybody here happen to know how they compare when it comes to surround sound and sound quality?

11. aymank

aymank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    I've got them mate and love them . Was sceptical about wireless quality but these are really good . Never had the battery die on me and I've watched a few back to back episodes of TV shows like breaking bad with no signs of quality loss etc.

Also good for just listening to music on the laptop at night .

12. Curacao

Curacao
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just checking: Which do you own, a Sony MRD-DS6500 (which the original poster has) or a Sennheiser RS170?
    Thanks!

13. aymank

aymank

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +197
    Sorry should of made that clear

The RS170's

14. Curacao

Curacao
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah ok thx. Yes, I have read good things about them.
    Just wonxering though... What should I expect of the surround sound? Is that good as well?

15. paultys

paultys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,

Just realise I have not replied to your question. Unfortunately I cant compare as Ive only used the Sony. But as I said Im really pleased with them.

16. MK_44

MK_44
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi paultys,
    I`m in same situation with new neighbours, having enjoyed LOUD films for quite a while from Sony 5.1 system. I`ve been researching the MDR-DS6500`s and they look like just what I`m after. The only question I would like answered is, as a user, are you happy with the volume they can achieve after being used to a wired 5.1 system?
    Thanks
    Mark

17. paultys

paultys
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    More than happy. Don get me wrong it does not replace a decent system. But no doubt it is loud enough. And much louder than having to listen to a system at low volumes. I started picking up details that I had missed for a long time!

18. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    Does anyone know if Dolby headphone signals can be transmitted form an av amp via the wireless base station to headphones.?

19. Member 266567

Member 266567

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +81
    Yep, this problem with the front channel is common with all headphones. Some better thought out regular two channel headphones (e.g. Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 and SoundMAGIC HP200) have the drivers angled to towards the ear to help increase the front channel coverage.

Shaun

Clarity is something you can expect with any good pair of Hi-Fi headphones.

I'm of the opinion that it's better to focus on the quality of the headphone components, rather than surround sound technology. There will have been a trade off in the design of surround sound headphones, meaning other components will not be as good as an equivalent pair of regular two channel headphones.

20. BISHI

BISHI

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,190
    I bought rs 170s then found out my amp doesn't do dolby headphone . Think I have a work around though by using a toslink splitter to get two opticals into the base station of my gaming headset .!

21. Jack A. Napes

Jack A. Napes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    My new Sony 6500 headphones arrived today, and having set them up, OPTICAL OUT on Onkyo 876 receiver to OPTICAL IN on the base-station, I can't get sound out of them unless I connect my sources (BD player, Xbox 360, WDTV, DVD, SkyHD) via optical or coaxial, and re-assign the digital input on my receiver menu (switching HDMI audio for my BD player to Optical 1, for example). For whatever reason the Onkyo 876 receiver won't pass the HDMI audio to the headphone station thru optical out.

Unless I'm doing something wrong?

I can connect all five sources via the three coax and two opt inputs on my receiver, and switch the assignments in the receiver set-up menu, but it'd be easier not to bother if possible.

I also have to change the receiver audio listening modes to 'direct' in order to get DTS sound thru the phones, rather than keep the receiver enhancements I normally use (Neo:6, THX 7.1 etc). My receiver clearly doesn't want to handle any down-mixing!

Another issue... I've tried three separate optical leads into the base-station, and they're all loose fitting, without that satisfying 'click' that comes from a good connection. It works ok, but it won't take much to knock the lead out. Has anyone else with 6500's found the optical socket to be on the roomy side?

Other than that... Wow! I watched Dark Knight Rises tonight to test the phones out and was greatly impressed. Clear dialogue, loud explosions and a good ambient sound mix. These will be less of a compromise for late night movie viewing than I was anticipating!

22. fca182

fca182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I'm considering getting these Sony 6500 too.

One question, I'll be using it on a PS3, it just needs to be connected from the optical out, correct?

23. lenticularis

lenticularis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Yes, that's correct, but as it's been a few weeks since you asked you may already have found the answer to your question. :)

I have just purchased the 6500s (delivered today) but have yet to set them up. However, I would be grateful for some advice from anyone who owns these headphones.

On the ac power adaptor there is a small cylindrical attachment. Is this just for cable management or does it have another purpose? I can't find any mention of it in the instruction booklet. I have been trying to open it but without success but perhaps it isn't meant to be opened.

If anyone can help it would be appreciated.

24. bobfoc

bobfoc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +134
    It's an EM filter. You find them on everything these days.

Don't open it as you'll break it..... It's basically a magnet that surrounds the cable and suppresses noise.

25. lenticularis

lenticularis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +154
    Thanks for the info bobfc, I'm afraid my technical knowledge is sadly lacking!

I am now unsure if I have a problem with my purchase. I bought them from Amazon Warehouse Deals, at a really good price, described as 'Used, like new'. On checking the items I noticed that the cabling on the ac adaptor has been looped through this filter a couple of times. This is why I thought that it may be a cable managing device. It just doesn't look right and I'm not sure why or how it came to be like that.

I don't really want to return them as they look fine apart from this 'feature'.

26. fca182

fca182
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys, I've noticed something about my Sony 6500s and I'm wondering if it's just me or anyone else has noticed it too.

My left and right audio seem to be reversed (when something is happening on-screen at the left say, the audio seems to come from the right). It's not really a problem since I can just wear them backwards (which I actually find more comfortable) but I'm wondering if it's normal.

27. duffer

duffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    If you could tell me a popular film in which you notice this reverse effect I could check it out as well.

28. BimmerJimmer

BimmerJimmer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +93
    Ok, so these sound good but I have a sony 1040 with 5 devices attached and no optical out. Most of the devices have optical out but don't want to run all that cable to get my headphones working.

Is there a similar set of headphones that can sit in a hdmi connection (ie has an hdmi in and out) or indeed an adapter that has hdmi in/out and optical out? This would enable me to put it between the amp and the TV then?

29. duffer

duffer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
  30. hedrock

hedrock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15