Headphones for large(ish) ears

antighsiothail

Hi
I'm looking for a comfortable pair of headphones, want around ear ones, I'm not an audiophile, so sound quality is less a priority than comfort. I've found it very difficult to find the pad sizes of headphones. As I have fairly large ears, 7.5cm long and 3.5cm out from my head that's an important consideration. My budget would ideally be in the region of £100, but could go upto £150 if pushed, oh and rather not have vinyl pads. Am I asking too much for my budget? Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Hixs

Distinguished Member

antighsiothail

Have a gander here 4 Best Headphones For Big Ears - Brutally Honest Review - One Computer Guy

The Bose, AKG and DT770 are all readily available from Amazon. Not sure about the Phillips, never heard of that model.

The Bose are over budget new, but plenty about on the used market.
Thanks for that, the AKG are a bit over budget as are the Bose, I think I'll give the Beyer DT770 a go. Although there is a DT990 open back, wonder if they would be more comfortable? Also the DT770 seem to be available in 80ohm and 250ohm, would that mean the 80ohm are easier to drive? I'll be plugging them into a Yamaha R-N602.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
Lower the number the easier to drive. Open Vs closed is person/listening space dependant.

Closed for an office/noisy home.
Open for a quite space like a home office.

antighsiothail

I think I will go for the Beyerdynamic DT990 pro studio as the house is usually very quiet. Amazon are pretty good for returning stuff if they don't suit. Thanks for your help.

antighsiothail

Before I buy would these at 250ohm be compatible with the R-N602? There are some 32ohm and 600ohm versions, of the edition version, but they are a bit more expensive.

Hixs

Distinguished Member
I would imagine so, but don't take my word for it.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom